Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by The good [ In reply to ]
Re: New enthusiastic swimmer [The good] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good wrote:
Ive been wondering about this since I started swimming with the team.

I am the youngest swimmer on the swim team and some of the guys are maybe in their mid 30's 40's. But even though they are older I am the only one leaving the pool for toilet. DO you real swimmers pee in the water?

No, that's gross. But we tell all the newbies that we do....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good wrote:

I am the youngest swimmer on the swim team and some of the guys are maybe in their mid 30's 40's. But even though they are older I am the only one leaving the pool for toilet. DO you real swimmers pee in the water?

Certainly not. You'll find that one of the bodies biological adaptations to significant long term swim training is that you only have to pee once or twice a day.
Quote Reply
Re: New enthusiastic swimmer [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liar.

I swam competitively (national/international level) through age 25 and still swim masters 2x per week. I don't think I've gotten through any swim without peeing in the pool at least 2x...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Apr 21, 15 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Oh I don't do that anymore. I'm old.
At the OP's age, I was doing about double that suggestion. 1.5 - 2 hours in the water, 9-10x per week. Plus 2-3 hours in the weight room.
I ate a lot. I don't even know if I could guess what I ate every day, but it had to be north of 4000 Calories. I don't really enjoy eating, not like some people. I ate because I had to, and that's kinda stuck with me ever since.

Ya, i'd imagine you were averaging 5500 to 6000 cal/day, 7 days/wk, with that much swimming plus weights.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: New enthusiastic swimmer [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
Liar.

I swam competitively (national/international level) through age 25 and still swim masters 2x per week. I don't think I've gotten through any swim without peeing in the pool at least 2x...

Oh, right... I forgot, we've gotta keep up the charade...

<loudly> Yea, I totally pee in the pool all the time </loudly>

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good wrote:

TG - It is great to hear from a new enthusiastic swimmer on this forum, since so many ST-ers bitch about how much they hate swimming. You are indeed doing very well to go 33 for 50 lcm on just 2 months of swim training; 33.0 for 50 lcm is about 29.0 for 50 scy which is much better than the average swimmer can do on just 2 months training. It sounds like you're doing everything right, swimming with a masters team, etc. Jason and others have provided all the guidance you need, so i'm just chiming in to say it's nice to have another enthused swimmer here:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good wrote:
I am aware of this, I have been cycling a lot 80-90 hours per months. My parents were going nuts because the fridge was always empty :P

400 miles per week - that's pretty good (I'm assuming a minimum of 20mph average since you are so young and enthusiastic).

Although perhaps your actual mileage is a bit lower than that since based on your stated need to stop during swim workouts to pee, you're probably not peeing while cycling like a real triathlete.

As to your excellently articulated swim volume vs. technique question, probably your best bet is simply to ask your masters coach to log in here and discuss with the other elderly folks - as you noted he's helping you a lot so he should be willing to go the extra yard and discuss in a forum of experts so as to give you the best possible advice. In fact if he's a real good masters coach (and he must be, if he's spending so much time thinking about how to answer your questions before he responds to you on the pool deck), he's probably already on here and has just been too busy to join the conversation.

Best of luck in your creative writing career.
Last edited by: skip: Apr 21, 15 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was easily eatin 5k calories

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next