Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best racing clinchers [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, has anyone tested the Attack forward vs. backward (on a front wheel) in a tunnel or at the velodrome?

rruff wrote:
Based on Swiss Side's tests... Grooved tread helps with flow attachment in high yaw. Best to have them perpendicular to the airflow, so the Attack backwards makes the most sense.

The Attack looks really good on a wide rim. I'd keep it on the back, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [ckhirsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
State TT race coming on Saturday? Should I replace my tires for new ones? Do new tires have lower crr values? They're Conti Attacks and 4000S tires. The current tires are NOT worn out nor flat center lines from wear. I have new tires, but the new tires have those manufacturing ridges of rubber down the center, so it seems that the current used tires would be better. Thoughts?

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying the backwards attack for a race Sunday. Not that I will feel the difference but trusting you! Is it just because the grooves going backwards help with the aeroflow thus making it more aero?

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You in Colorado?

I say run the new tires and shave off the ridge.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius wrote:
You in Colorado?

I say run the new tires and shave off the ridge.

Yes, Colorado.

Shave the ridge? Really? It seems that the used tire is more aero, but not sure about the crr properties of new vs. worn rubber.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just because the grooves going backwards help with the aeroflow thus making it more aero?

Grooves perpendicular to the air flow apparently help with high yaw flow attachment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crr declines when a tire is broken in. CdA increases. I remove the molding material that is sticking out and put a few miles on before racing.

Don't worry about it though. I'm sure you have more important things to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok kind of makes sense but I trust you! I'm trying to totally understand all of the aerodynamic stuff but it's not easy without much hands on experience with testing. But thanks!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if you really trusted me, you'd be using a Supersonic ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know! I used them 2 years ago but changed up tired when I got my jet plus rims and went to ironman. The attack was hard enough to put on my rim, can't imagine the 20 mm supersonic!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Crr declines when a tire is broken in. CdA increases. I remove the molding material that is sticking out and put a few miles on before racing.

Don't worry about it though. I'm sure you have more important things to consider.

So, for the front Flo 60's, I should use new Attacks (backwards) and shave the manufacturing center ridge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know what *you* should do, but that sounds good to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I don't know what *you* should do, but that sounds good to me.

Thanks for the suggestion, and sorry for the poor question phrasing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
I would not pick a GP4000 because the Attack is faster in Crr and aero (at low yaw at least), and the Force is faster in Crr. And they all have vectran belts. I doubt the Turbo Cotton is close in cut and puncture resistance, but it's possible.

Thanks for all the great info. It's Attack backwards in the front and Force in the back for me then. With Vredestein latex tubes and on Swiss Side Hadrons. The Conti set is just around 70$ + postage from German online stores, as is the GP4000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic, but thought you would know the answer. My Conti Attack has little white threads sneaking through at what appears to be a tiny seam (series of minuscule cracks) developing along the intersection of the sidewall and the tread. Is that a sign of wear that indicates the tire should be changed?

The tire is on my race wheels, second season. WAG of 500 miles. Seems it should have some life left, but I have a race next weekend and the combination of nerves, my taper and those threads has me anxious.

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Aug 9, 15 17:08
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't sound familiar, but I'd ride them unless they appear to be structurally compromised.

Edit for photo: WTF?! No I don't think I'd be riding that.
Last edited by: rruff: Aug 9, 15 17:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, thanks. I added a pic since this seems to be unfamiliar.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had exactly that issue with 2 Conti Attacks after little use. The sidewall appears to almost 'perish' as yours has. They only seemed to last for a few hundred miles before perishing. It may well be time, rather than miles I suspect, but they seem to perish in a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Always good to know others have the same experience. I'm leaning towards replacing the tire before Lake Stevens this Sunday. I'm sure it has another 56 miles left in it, but would rather be safe than sorry.

My only hesitation is that changing the tire always creates the risk of pinching the latex tube, but at least that fate is in my hands!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since this thread was resurrected....

Has anyone seen any CRR data on the Continental TT clinchers yet? I thought I remember a website saying they were going to do a test but then never saw anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had exactly the same experience with the Attack. Very little tread wear but cracking at that same spot and the little white threads showing. Not good.
Quote Reply

Prev Next