Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava / Competitive Cyclist $1/hr Store Credit Too Good to Be True [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

No doubt on the face of it, without looking into the details of the program it seems expensive but we don't know what the true numbers behind the program are, what the motives of the company are, etc. Silicon valley has been doing this for years. Throw money at things, grow as fast as possible, increase valuation as much as possible, exit. I just don't think we can say that this is a huge money loser when we don't understand the long-term strategy of said Competitive Cyclist.

Citing what venture capital-backed startups do is a terrible justification as to what sound business decision-making is. Even Andreesen (despite being a complete hypocrite) readily admits that startups are hemorrhaging cash in this overfunded market. Competitive Cyclist's business model isn't disruptive and isn't well-suited to that sort of landgrab market acquisition approach; it's an online bike shop.

Now we are going into a different area of debate that I don't want to get into. Quickly I would say paying people to "bike" is acting more like a disruptor - I don't see your local bike shop offering this promotion. And remember, Competitive Cyclist was bought already by Backcountry who knows what they are doing as an exit strategy. Unfortunately if a company isn't profitable or even if it is, it is often valued/traded on some other metric, sometimes it is sales, users, or some other metric. I guess my point being that as it stands it seems like a PR stunt that coincides perfectly with weather getting nice and people getting outside to ride. Maybe there was some aspects that were not thoroughly thought out and they had to pull-out, just seems like bait-and-switch to me.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Strava / Competitive Cyclist $1/hr Store Credit Too Good to Be True [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
aravilare wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

No doubt on the face of it, without looking into the details of the program it seems expensive but we don't know what the true numbers behind the program are, what the motives of the company are, etc. Silicon valley has been doing this for years. Throw money at things, grow as fast as possible, increase valuation as much as possible, exit. I just don't think we can say that this is a huge money loser when we don't understand the long-term strategy of said Competitive Cyclist.

Citing what venture capital-backed startups do is a terrible justification as to what sound business decision-making is. Even Andreesen (despite being a complete hypocrite) readily admits that startups are hemorrhaging cash in this overfunded market. Competitive Cyclist's business model isn't disruptive and isn't well-suited to that sort of landgrab market acquisition approach; it's an online bike shop.

Now we are going into a different area of debate that I don't want to get into. Quickly I would say paying people to "bike" is acting more like a disruptor - I don't see your local bike shop offering this promotion. And remember, Competitive Cyclist was bought already by Backcountry who knows what they are doing as an exit strategy. Unfortunately if a company isn't profitable or even if it is, it is often valued/traded on some other metric, sometimes it is sales, users, or some other metric. I guess my point being that as it stands it seems like a PR stunt that coincides perfectly with weather getting nice and people getting outside to ride. Maybe there was some aspects that were not thoroughly thought out and they had to pull-out, just seems like bait-and-switch to me.

A disruptive company is one like Amazon or Uber that changes how entire markets operate. Paying people to bike is, at best, an innovative "feature" or marketing idea.

I buy a decent amount of stuff from Competitive Cyclist and use Strava daily, and I didn't even hear about the promotion (no emails from either CC or Strava, unlike when Strava partnered with Promotive) until it was posted on ST. It may have been a bait and switch (which is leading to a lot of negative goodwill) but I think it's more likely to have been designed as a limited scope marketing campaign or test that quickly got out of hand when it spread like wildfire via word of mouth, and is becoming too much of a potential financial liability for them to keep going in its current state.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava / Competitive Cyclist $1/hr Store Credit Too Good to Be True [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
I buy a decent amount of stuff from Competitive Cyclist and use Strava daily, and I didn't even hear about the promotion (no emails from either CC or Strava, unlike when Strava partnered with Promotive) until it was posted on ST. It may have been a bait and switch (which is leading to a lot of negative goodwill) but I think it's more likely to have been designed as a limited scope marketing campaign or test that quickly got out of hand when it spread like wildfire via word of mouth, and is becoming too much of a potential financial liability for them to keep going in its current state.

This I agree with. I think they could have had a beta group to test this out instead of rolling it out the way they did. There could have been any number of ways to do this including an invite system of sorts.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next