Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone here use a Vasa Swim Trainer/Ergometer?
Quote | Reply
Anyone here use a Vasa Swim Trainer/Ergometer? Looking for some feedback on it.

My son (15) is a competitive swimmer and broke his ankle on both sides on Friday thinking he can fly (playing volleyball). Now that the shock of the break is over he's already getting somewhat antsy. He'll see a trainer at the gym once the bone sets (or needs a screw) and he's able to move around more, but I know he'll want some swim action and figured a Vasa Swim Trainer/Ergometer may be something worth looking into.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here use a Vasa Swim Trainer/Ergometer? [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sir - I had one for several years, liked it, but sold it. Wish I had it back.

Best of luck to your son.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here use a Vasa Swim Trainer/Ergometer? [dmacandcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buddy of mine is a swimmer on the pro circuit, just blew out both knees about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He isn't allowed to swim or do anything with his legs, so he's been doing a lot of weights (drop dead sprinter type).

I'm pretty sure you can get a basic home gym for a lot less cash than a VASA, especially if you look on Craigslist. The New Years resolutioners are probably just about done with them.

Nothing against the vasa, just that if you aren't looking to use it long term, then I'm not sure it is worth the investment.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 20, 15 18:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search for threads by lightheir, or just PM him.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here use a Vasa Swim Trainer/Ergometer? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

15 min after my post and here you are, Mr. Vasa:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here use a Vasa Swim Trainer/Ergometer? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I'll read through it today.

And obtaining used weights and such, he's on the Y swim team which includes full gym access hence personal trainer sessions.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've a trainer not an erg, I like it, whilst it does not provide the data of the erg, I don't need to know how many watts I'm not pulling to realise with almost any levels of resistance that I'm weak as a result of not having swum or exercised for a decade and its clearly that it is optimised to work on conditioning the pull, in fact you could use it exclusively for the first half / three quarters of the pull and you get the benefit.

I can't speak for the erg, but with the trainer, whilst you can full stroke, with resistance on it, its best to return your arms underhand rather than over due to loads placed on your shoulder.

that said, I also think there would be other ways of working the same muscles groups but I think it would be awkward
Quote Reply