Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Florida accomodations
Quote | Reply
The host hotel appears to be sold out but there are tons of properties in the area.

Will have a family so prefer to be somewhat close.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida accomodations [ericj076] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We stay in a 2 bedroom suite at the Laketown Wharf which is walking distance to the expo/finish line. It has a king, a double, and either another twin or bunk and a full kitchen and a living room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Laketown Wharf. VRBO is a great place to start looking.
Lots of options and pretty much any condo building on the street will have availability.
Laketown was close and very convenient.
Enjoy IMFL!

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The host hotel is a dump. Try to find something at the Shores of Panama on VRBO. It's a nice building right on the beach within walking distance (5-10min) to transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Shores of Panama.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida accomodations [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x3 for Shores of Panama. I paid $550 for an entire week for a 2BR/2BA unit I found through VRBO. It's about 1/3 mile to the race site.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: GMAN19030: Apr 20, 15 18:18
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida accomodations [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
The host hotel is a dump. Try to find something at the Shores of Panama on VRBO. It's a nice building right on the beach within walking distance (5-10min) to transition.

The Boardwalk Condos that were built a few years back are not too bad from what I understand. The hotel is a dump.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gulfcrest (high rise condos) is good, stayed there for races 4 or 5 times. Probably about 12 years old by now? It's east of the action, about a 7 minute walk to transition. The huge place that's just a 2 or 3 minute walk west of transition but not on the water side is nice too, and a few years newer. The name escapes me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we got a condo on vrbo sunday night. five minute walk from race start.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, covered in scars, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'hell yeah', what a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida accomodations [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:
The host hotel is a dump. .

It is being renovated......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We stayed at the Twin Palms about a 10 minute walk from the race site. My wife and I, and all 3 kids really enjoyed it. I called the hotel directly and got a great rate.

The year before I raced, when volunteering, I stayed at Lollye on the Beach. It's somewhat of a dive (like most hotels in PCB), but really really really cheap, nice people, and way better than camping out or sleeping in the car. It's located at mile 1 on the run course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Florida accomodations [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone. very helpful
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on Laketown Wharfe being nice, with rooms available on VRBO even if their official management company has sold out the rooms they rent

+2 on the host hotel being a dump, along with most other PCB properties being dumps.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Shores of Panama; great location and very nice accommodations.

***Note: Shores of Panama is obviously not a hotel, so don't expect them to hold onto or watch your bags if you want to go explore the city on the day of your departure. My wife and I asked if they would do so until we left for the airport and they said no.... thus we had to take all our luggage with us to Dave & Buster's to kill a few hours before our flight. Also, after check-out time, I don't believe you can purchase another pass to use the pool facilities on site.***

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a support crew going, I think Gulf Crest or something off of VRBO near Surf Drive is a much better option than Shores of Panama or Laketown Wharf.

The Gulf Crest is alot less crowded and your family just has to go downstairs to spectate on the run course. Laketown and Shores of Panama are .5 mi from transition on the bike course side (which sucks for spectating).

IF you can find anything through VRBO at the Boardwalk Condominiums, that is your best bet IMO. The swim can be seen from the balcony, right next to transition right near the run turnaround. very centrally located. I would just try to make sure you are EAST of transition...not west.
Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Apr 21, 15 11:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Sunbird. Loved it. The view from our 11th floor balcony was stunning. Its just west of the race venue and fairly reasonable.

Sunbird
9850 S Thomas Dr
Panama City, FL 32408

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treasure Island is right on the run course and very easy for family to walk out the door and see you a few times. New and nice, with hot tub, heated pool, huge balcony.
There is also an aid station right in front of it if anybody cares to volunteer. 5004 Thomas Drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part of the host hotel has private condos that can be rented via VRBO. I did this in 2013 and it worked out great. Alternatively, you can find other condos in VRBO within a mile radius. I did this in 2010, but being closer was better for me.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply