Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good question. If we, as humans, were faster on our side or stomach, we would see all swimmers dolphin kick one way or the other. So we tend to have the same speed, if the same technique is used. We like to practice dolphin kicking in many ways, but on the side allows you to feel kicking evenly in both directions. Check out this short vid: http://www.theraceclub.com/...fifth-stroke-part-1/

We call dolphin kicking the Fifth Stroke because it is now used in all strokes. We think it can be used in triathlon races too when the conditions call for it. It's also a great whole body exercise for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at lunch I farted around with this set. With a board I know I can do it (because I have), but with no board it's a lot tougher to do fly kick on the surface.

4 x 50m @ 1:05 (40, 43, 45, then slow. quads were dying...)

Also, I cheated on #2 and switched to flutter kick.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam D1 for a year and D3 for the remainder of my career. In high school I trained with the guy that later held the 200 Fly world record before Phelps put it on another planet. My last year in college I had the great blessing to win the 200 and 500 free at the conference level. About that same time Phelps was beginning his run at Ian Thorpe in the 200 free. I figured out that Ian and Phelps would have beat me by almost 2 LENGTHS, nearly a 50, in an 8 length race and I won.

You are correct - at the very peak of swimming they are on another planet.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [Poseidon2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, many moons ago, ('92), a couple of guys from the US Olympic team came down to Bermuda for our Nationals (Josh Davis and one other guy, I forget his name now, but they stayed with me and my folks).

It is simply unreal how much better and stronger they are than I was, and I was reasonably good. Not D1 level, but quick enough to get second swims at Ontario champs and once at CIAU's.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [amykhall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd try some side kicking this week, since I'd never done it before. After about 5 yards, I inhaled so much water I had to stop and walk back to the wall. I'll try again next week after my nose fully drains.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [Poseidon2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poseidon2600 wrote:
Swam D1 for a year and D3 for the remainder of my career. In high school I trained with the guy that later held the 200 Fly world record before Phelps put it on another planet. My last year in college I had the great blessing to win the 200 and 500 free at the conference level. About that same time Phelps was beginning his run at Ian Thorpe in the 200 free. I figured out that Ian and Phelps would have beat me by almost 2 LENGTHS, nearly a 50, in an 8 length race and I won. You are correct - at the very peak of swimming they are on another planet.

Agree that Phelps, Thorpe, etc, are on a diff planet but I think you are underestimating your own speed. Just guessing here but if you won your D3 conf 200 yd free, you prob went somewhere around 1:36 to 1:39, or 1:40 at the slowest. Using 1:40 which equals 100 sec, then you were at 75 sec or 1:15 at the 150 yd point. Since the American record is 1:31, no way even the AR guy is 2 lengths ahead of you but rather more like 3/4 of a length. Think you need to give yourself a little more credit:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Poseidon2600 wrote:
Swam D1 for a year and D3 for the remainder of my career. In high school I trained with the guy that later held the 200 Fly world record before Phelps put it on another planet. My last year in college I had the great blessing to win the 200 and 500 free at the conference level. About that same time Phelps was beginning his run at Ian Thorpe in the 200 free. I figured out that Ian and Phelps would have beat me by almost 2 LENGTHS, nearly a 50, in an 8 length race and I won. You are correct - at the very peak of swimming they are on another planet.

Agree that Phelps, Thorpe, etc, are on a diff planet but I think you are underestimating your own speed. Just guessing here but if you won your D3 conf 200 yd free, you prob went somewhere around 1:36 to 1:39, or 1:40 at the slowest. Using 1:40 which equals 100 sec, then you were at 75 sec or 1:15 at the 150 yd point. Since the American record is 1:31, no way even the AR guy is 2 lengths ahead of you but rather more like 3/4 of a length. Think you need to give yourself a little more credit:)

well said Eric. We (myself included) tend to be pretty hard on ourselves; our own worst enemy sometimes. For all we know a guy like Poseidon2600 has the "stuff" to cruise an Olympic tri swim in a "terrible" 17 min and bike 55 and run 34. We should all be so unfortunate :-|

Enjoy the journey.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Poseidon2600 wrote:

well said Eric. We (myself included) tend to be pretty hard on ourselves; our own worst enemy sometimes. For all we know a guy like Poseidon2600 has the "stuff" to cruise an Olympic tri swim in a "terrible" 17 min and bike 55 and run 34. We should all be so unfortunate :-| Enjoy the journey.

Ya, we all gotta try to look at ourselves somewhat realistically:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next