Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

2 weeks to my favourite half IM in St. Croix. I can't make it there this year as I have some business obligations on the west coast that conflict.

If you have questions on the race, first please read this article which will help you get ready:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...hlon_Guide_3569.html

Other than that, myself and others can answer specific questions or I can ask Tom Guthrie what the answer is and get back to you.

By the way, DO NOT FLY CAPE AIR....they don't take bikes even though they often have a United connector codeshare.
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you aren't supposed to fly with co2 cartridges, is there a good place to buy them on the island, or should I bring a hand pump instead?
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [JayG508] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy them at registration pick-up...basically a 1 vendor expo.
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
You can buy them at registration pick-up...basically a 1 vendor expo.

What HuffNPuff said, but I would bring hand pump too. When you fly that far to race, having the hand pump insurance policy is always nice to ensure you finish the event. Roads are rough, and if there is a ton of rain in the days leading up, there are always a lot of flats with all the sharp rocks that flow down the side of the hills onto the roads with the water/mud run off.
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [JayG508] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can always buy co2 at the expo. don't rely on a hand pump
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [dave16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally correct on CO2. There will be plenty available at expo.
Roads are being worked on now. Not greatest shape, but getting better. The usual patches being laid. Plan on flats, be prepared.
It has been really dry lately, southshore has had brush fires it's so dry. Thant doesn't mean we wont get the usual torrential downpour the night before the race.
Looking forward to having everyone on island, always a fun week here!
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [stxtridad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stxtridad wrote:
Totally correct on CO2. There will be plenty available at expo.
Roads are being worked on now. Not greatest shape, but getting better. The usual patches being laid. Plan on flats, be prepared.
It has been really dry lately, southshore has had brush fires it's so dry. Thant doesn't mean we wont get the usual torrential downpour the night before the race.
Looking forward to having everyone on island, always a fun week here!

And if there is no downpour the nite before the race, it will start pouring just as you start the Beast climb to ensure you have zero traction on your back wheel on the 22 percent grade when out of the saddle.....then on the Beast descent, you can't see what you are doing as you hydroplane your way towards the edge of the road (that would describe my 2008 St. Croix near disaster). Will definitely miss the fun, but will fill in with Wildflower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there still Kona Slots?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No more Kona slots at any 70.3's worldwide, so only 70.3 WC slots for St. Croix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
No more Kona slots at any 70.3's worldwide, so only 70.3 WC slots for St. Croix.

Zero 70.3? I thought there were a few left with Kona slots?

I wonder how no Kona slots at St Croix will impact their race numbers, if at all?

Has not seemed to have hurt Vineman 70.3 when they no longer had Kona slots.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a few restaurant rec's?

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

Jack

Cheeseburgers in Paradise is a popular hangout (and one place the taxi drivers all know in case your luggage or bike case gets lost or comes later) - east of town on bike course
Pickled Greek is pretty good for a restaurant in an old gas station, but it's nice and presentable - just on the east side of town on the run/bike course.
Avacado Pit is perfect for morning coffee and a light breakfast - family owned and great folks all around - on the east end of the boardwalk, facing transistion
RumRunners is typical bar food, but it's not too heavy, and a lot of athletes hang out there. The St. Croix harbor webcam camera is next to the entrance door, so Google it and tell your friends to watch you while you're there.

There are several other nice "bar food" restaurants on the boardwalk, so you'll have plenty to choose from.
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pasta stand by Tuto Bene has sadly closed. There are many good restaurants in Christiansted, even some new ones!
Downtown:
Bombay is a great bar food spot. Cool A/C. Bar food, and entrees. Old vibe downstairs, exposed stone walls. Popular spot, reservations are a good idea. Sandwiches and entrees.
40 Strand is a newer spot. Small and reservations are a good idea. Bistro dinning. Creative menu, cool use of local flavors. (Sliders made with johnny cakes). Entrees and open face sandwich menu.
Zion Modern Kitchen is new. Great cocktail list, full menu. Bistro dinning. From the folks who ran Bacchus in the old days. Very popular as it is new. Reservations for sure.
Galangal. Amazing decor, great food. French/Asian fusion. Fine dinning. Expensive but worth it, reservations for sure.
Savant has an awesome courtyard. Fine dining type menu.
Kendrick's has moved to Buccaneer. Fine dining. Old favorites and some new stuff.
Maria's is in Gallows Bay. Pretty solid Mexican food. Good prices. $2 tacos on Tuesdays.
Bistro in Gallows bay for lunch and breakfast. Coffee shop, great salads.
No Bones Cafe in Gallows Bay is casual dinning. They moved to a new spot by the ferry dock. Sports bar interior, really comfortable.
Blue Water Terrace out east. Huge menu. Casual dinning. On the bike course.
Anna's Living Food. Bright red food truck parked at corner of by-pass highway coming in to C-sted. Amazing healthy food. Local athlete owns it, lunch through early evening.

If anyone is after something specific, let me know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

Jack

I am not the right guy for restaurant advise. My version of high class eating is Subway and a bag of pretzels!

Now if you want advice on some thing like the Beast descent, you can basically let it rip except for the last turn which seems to be a bit of a decreasing radius scenario, so bleed some speed off a bit early. Also the race start at the Beach by the Hotel on the Cay is one of the best in the sport....very cool when you can "swim commute" to the swim start of an event. The first 200m for some reason is a dog fight in the swim. You're basically immediately doing a long left hand turn after the first 50 meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a TON of really good restaurants all around Christensteed and along Cane Bay. Don't judge a place by its facade. Most of the buildings look a little sad, and most of the restaurants are not that big on decor. But the food was GREAT!! Except avoid the All-You-Can-Eat buffets. TripAdvisor has a good list that's helpful.

Enjoy!

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [tribritre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could add that breakfast at the Buccaneer all you can eat buffet is pretty darn good! I would put that on my 'must do list' even if I am not staying there. Man, it's gonna tough sleeping in a Quality Inn at King City CA beside highway 101 after driving over from work in San Jose next Friday before the early morning wake up to get to Wildflower. I am feeling "home sick" for St. Croix already. I like being a Crucian for 1 week per year. I'll miss my fix. This was from back in 2008 when my neck worked and so did my left leg...that was my best race in St. Croix (went 4:54):

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 21, 15 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: St Croix Half Ironman 2015 Q&A Thread [tribritre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I have already taken a good look at Tripadvisors and booked a couple of spots. We are kind of foodies so this is a fairly important part of our trip (or any trip really)

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, is this a training camp for IM Texas? Is so, maybe I will actually see you at Woodlands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I won't ever do that race again..terrible experience and one of my least favourite races on the planet. I have lots of teammates racing, so I may go down to cheer everyone on, and if so, I will drag you out for a pint, it's long overdue!

Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waves at Cane Bay if u are a foodie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I rode part of the course this morning, including the Beast (and back over it in reverse) and it is not a fun little climb. The wind was slightly at my back, so the very slow speed made it seem like an inferno. I can't believe the state of the roads here, but at least the bike course is pretty smooth (as long as you go in the direction of the course).

Seems not much of a chance for rain, its been very dry here (the locals say) and the forecast looks to remain dry, hot and windy.

Should be good fun!

Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's an awesome race and venue. Have fun! I wish I was there. Consider yourself lucky on the rain. Seems like every time I've done that race (4x) it rained on the bike (once it poured on the Beast making that descent very scary), after the rain it literally turns into a sauna.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Dev,

I rode part of the course this morning, including the Beast (and back over it in reverse) and it is not a fun little climb. The wind was slightly at my back, so the very slow speed made it seem like an inferno. I can't believe the state of the roads here, but at least the bike course is pretty smooth (as long as you go in the direction of the course).

Seems not much of a chance for rain, its been very dry here (the locals say) and the forecast looks to remain dry, hot and windy.

Should be good fun!

Jack

Good luck guys at St. Croix. Missing the island but on the plus side just got done at Wildflower....the new format totally destroyed my legs. Now I have 4x St. Croix and 4x Wildflower in the bag. Really, on this weekend in May, its really hard to know which race to do. I like the St. Croix overall experience better, but its a toss up on which race course I like or hate more (I simultaneously like and hate both courses if you know what I mean).
Quote Reply