Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: From FAT to FIT: Month one. Pre Bike trip UPDATE [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
great job. Good to see that a healthy , not fad, diet and exercise really do work. Your attention to detail is impressive.

As for the low HR. I see 2 options, which are not exclusive.
1, your FTP is improved so when you're working at a given wattage it's a lower % of FTP than it used to be.
2. your dietary restrictions are limiting your HR. Personally, I need simple sugars before a ride if I want to work at high power and HR. I think it a hormonal and brain phenomenon. FWIW, there is interesting data on the effects of swishing , but not drinking , sugary drinks prior to exercise (http://www.nutritionj.com/content/9/1/33). I can ride easy to moderate efforts (0-~70% of FTP on nothing but water when I get up and am still in the fasted state. But if I hope to do any work higher than that I have trouble achieving high enough HRs to power the legs. It's not a lot of sugar, 100-200 cal of gel, but it feels like it makes a difference. I'm not suggesting that you change the routines that are working for you, just suggesting an explanation.

So I had a new workout for me today. (On tired legs) I performed 6 3min intervals. Goal wattage at 118% above FTP. It was on my tri bike so I used 318 as my number. I held above that for all 6. My HR, was hitting high 160's, so this was good.

However, what I wanted to point out was 1hour prior I had a cup of water with 30grams of maltodextrin added. I seemed to have more zipp, but I will have to test it out a few more times.
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: Month Two. [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
You eat a LOT of carbs.

And yes, I am jealous. If I want to lose weight it's a lot more veggies & a lot less bread/pasta/good stuff.

I need carbs, I burn them! LOL. And I have found if I limit my carbs and I crave food like mad. Currently it is working. Might have to change it soon, who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: Month Two. [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
No doubt.

10 more pounds to go than I will drop the caloric deficit.

Do you realize the street value of this mountain?

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: Month Two. [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
Triagain2 wrote:
No doubt.

10 more pounds to go than I will drop the caloric deficit.

Do you realize the street value of this mountain?

Not really...
That was May 22nd, 2015. 6 days ago. I was 185lbs. Morning weight today and yesterday, 183. I hope for official weigh in next on the 2nd I am at 182. That will leave only 6 more pounds. Those last 6 pounds I imagine will be difficult.
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: Month Two. [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
You eat a LOT of carbs.

And yes, I am jealous. If I want to lose weight it's a lot more veggies & a lot less bread/pasta/good stuff.

Same here,

When I'm training and trying to drop weight, I find myself throwing mountains of veg into most meals just to physically fill my stomach even if I haven't eaten all that many calories.
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: End of summer [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, Summer is done and My planned races are over.

How did it turn out?

As of this morning I am 178lbs, and have been for a few weeks.
I have completed about 315 hours of training since February 5th start date.
I have lost very close to 47lbs.

I completed my planned triathlon, a local race with about 150 people. I was 10th OA including teams. I set a PB time by approximately 18mins despite having a longer swim than the times I did it years ago.

What now?
Swim:
I start swimming with a coached group next Wednesday. I was 40th out of the water in the race so I have room to improve
1:49/100m open water wetsuit. I would like that to be at or below 140. I swam 17 times before the race for about 14 hours. So swimming with a coach and for a year I should make some improvements.
the course was 1500m but by my 910xt I swam 1651 (so at 28:48 race result had me at 1:56/100)
Bike:
Purchased second power meter for tri bike, replaced handle bars with a little more aero set up, and I am working on purchasing a sleeved tri suit, and race wheels for some gain (raced on Ksyrium and powertap wheel.
I averaged 23.17mph over the rolling 38.5mile course. I rode at 230avg watts, for this distance I have held over 255 and ran well, but I was not willing to push to hard on my bike and wreck my run.
I passed about 34 people on the bike and had 2nd fastest bike of the day.
Next year I hope to average over 250 and with equipment changes break 24mph and be closer to 24.5mph

Run:
ran just under 5min/km (8min mile) for 13km run. For me this was awesome as I could barely run 5min in March.
Plan is to simply to keep running nearly every day, with BarryP plan and one faster workout per week. Current interval pace is 7:20mile, and I hope with a solid year of running I will be able to take that pace to the distance of my A race.

Weight:
I think based on how I look and the caliper test for BC at 11% (for what it is worth...) I would like to race next year at around 170lbs. So I will keep eating clean and training hard with a goal of about 550hours of training prior to the same race next year.
After that try my luck at a few half distance races.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by: Triagain2: Sep 4, 15 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
So, Summer is done and My planned races are over.

How did it turn out?

As of this morning I am 178lbs, and have been for a few weeks.
I have completed about 315 hours of training since February 5th start date.
I have lost very close to 47lbs.

that is absolutely friggin awesome. Power and speed results equally impressive. Kudos to you, hard work and consistency in nutrition pays off! Now to KEEP it off...
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: End of summer [docholiday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I will definitely be keeping it off. It was awesome to see the hard work pay off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations ! those are awesome results and you should be proud. My only question and I don't know the answer but is going from nothing to 550 hours per year seems like a potential risk for overtraining... Not sure what you had done in the past but those hours are huge.
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: End of summer [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is crazy, and I should be injured.

I went from not having ridden a bike or running for over 30months (or something like that) to exercise 300hours in 7 months while loosing 47lbs and setting personal bests on some local rides and the main triathlon goal.

However, I have taken my training very seriously this year. I adopted a polarized approach and was very strict on my easy days. I also adopted a 2 week training block with 10 work days and 4 rest days that really seemed to work for me.

I honestly never expected the results to come as fast as they did. My goal for the next year is not to add a ton of more training, but to just continue what I have been doing, with more swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Quote) I completed my planned triathlon, a local race with about 150 people. I was 10th OA including teams. I set a PB time by approximately 18mins despite having a longer swim than the times I did it years ago." (Quote)

How many teams finished ahead of you, how did you place in your AG, and what is your AG??? Also, how tall are you???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
23mph on 230w at 178 lbs!?! What the heck am I doing wrong. I'm ~5lbs lighter and I don't see anywhere near 23mph on 230w... Teach me your secrets!
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: End of summer [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
23mph on 230w at 178 lbs!?! What the heck am I doing wrong. I'm ~5lbs lighter and I don't see anywhere near 23mph on 230w... Teach me your secrets!

The fruits of being more aero
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: End of summer [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
(Quote) I completed my planned triathlon, a local race with about 150 people. I was 10th OA including teams. I set a PB time by approximately 18mins despite having a longer swim than the times I did it years ago." (Quote)

How many teams finished ahead of you, how did you place in your AG, and what is your AG??? Also, how tall are you???

2 teams ahead of me. I placed 7th in my age group, the fastest age group in the event by a mile 35-39.

I am 5' 10". with wide hips and shoulders.
Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: End of summer [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:

I put my front end as low is it can go. I put my aero pads as low as they can go. And then I trained in that position until I could hold the same power as on my road bike during 2x20min workouts.

I also switched to 165mm cranks which made me feel so much better in my position. I am not that low.

By the way guys, it is a local tri and the caliber of competition is nothing like you guys would see.

Her is a strava link to the mini tri I performed the Monday before. I went a little harder on the bike (closer to the pace I should be pushing at the 60km distance), but this is close to the same lap. https://www.strava.com/activities/360569774

relatively flat with small rollers, no major climbs

At time of this ride I had no racing wheel and really crappie base bars. I am trying to buy asset of lows and put on new bars and brake levers, Also was in sleeveless suit, will be buying sleeved suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

2 teams ahead of me. I placed 7th in my age group, the fastest age group in the event by a mile 35-39.
I am 5' 10". with wide hips and shoulders.

So, 8th overall excluding teams, and 4th or 5th in your AG when the top 3 individuals are taken out, which as it should happen. That was a weirdly unbalanced age distribution, usually there would be more from 25-29 and 40-44 in the top 10. But, in any case, 8th OA out of 150 is still quite good, or at least most would consider it quite good. I'd imagine that you can drop 3-5 min off your swim which would prob get you top 5 next year.

Regarding body build, this plays such a huge role in a person's weight. I really think the mirror, if we can look at our image in it objectively, is the best judge of appropriate weight. All the % fat methods are just estimates anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: From FAT to FIT: End of summer [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am happy with the results, don't get me wrong, but once you get past the top 20 people in the race the talent pool is a little thin.
And I screwed up on age group, mine was 30-39, the race went with 10 year spans.

I am an adult swimmer, learned to swim when I was 23. I have never received formal training, just learned by reading. I averaged less than two swims a week...before this race. Opps.

I have never properly trained for swimming and starting Wednesday that will all change. Through the winter I hope to average 4 swims a week for roughly 4.5 hours

Running is where I think I can make the most gains. I can run a 4:30min km in intervals with well controlled breathing and PRE, but I have to wait for the millage to build up and my body to get used to the demands of running before I can keep the pace for 13km.

I figure with 5 months of actual run training I was able to pull 0ff 5mi/km so with another year I should get there. With that run, top 5 would be a reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
I am happy with the results, don't get me wrong, but once you get past the top 20 people in the race the talent pool is a little thin.
And I screwed up on age group, mine was 30-39, the race went with 10 year spans.

I am an adult swimmer, learned to swim when I was 23. I have never received formal training, just learned by reading. I averaged less than two swims a week...before this race. Opps.

I have never properly trained for swimming and starting Wednesday that will all change. Through the winter I hope to average 4 swims a week for roughly 4.5 hours

Running is where I think I can make the most gains. I can run a 4:30min km in intervals with well controlled breathing and PRE, but I have to wait for the millage to build up and my body to get used to the demands of running before I can keep the pace for 13km.

I figure with 5 months of actual run training I was able to pull 0ff 5mi/km so with another year I should get there. With that run, top 5 would be a reality.

Alright, sounds very good, keep up the good work!!!

Quote Reply

Prev Next