Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Professionals at IMSA rather than IMMELB
Quote | Reply
So 2 weekends ago was Ironman Melbourne. Big money and points on offer compared to most Ironman events. One of the big 4.

However the professionals were light on. Still there but only a few big hitters.

Then yesterday Ironman South Africa was on with less points and money but the Male professionals turned out in force.

Any speculation why?

Easier to get to maybe?
Better race organisation?
Harder bike so better racing?

I don't know professionals but if someone knows someone, I'd love to know.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Professionals at IMSA rather than IMMELB [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It likely comes down to geographical reasons. With SA being the same time zone as central Europe (and a much shorter distance to travel), the choice for many European professionals was likely an easy one. Given the travel time and expense of getting to Australia, it's no surprise that there were relatively few non-Australian professionals in Melbourne. With the upcoming North American & Latin American Championship races, the lack of athletes from North & South America in both races was also predictable.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cost probably. The SA race is very affordable!
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think both IM Melbourne and SA offer the same price money and points......

My guess is distance, for Europeans it is only a 8-9 hour flight away to SA and its cheaper as well. Melbourne is close to 21 hours +.
Having seen the competitive field, some pros might be tempted to do IM Melbourne instead next year? Who knows, better chance of a pay cheque + more Kona points. One can also stay in Oz to train (instead of the winter) and do the local races and earn some money + points as well
Quote Reply
Re: Professionals at IMSA rather than IMMELB [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:

My guess is distance, for Europeans it is only a 8-9 hour flight away to SA and its cheaper as well. Melbourne is close to 21 hours +.
Having seen the competitive field, some pros might be tempted to do IM Melbourne instead next year? Who knows, better chance of a pay cheque + more Kona points. One can also stay in Oz to train (instead of the winter) and do the local races and earn some money + points as well

After a little more research you are correct on the points and money.

So your whole theory seems plausible

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
asianzone wrote:

This is the exact reason, plus there are some additional factors such as the fact that in general the Australian and New Zealand peeps tend to be much better swimmers while the Europeans are more bike heavy. This sets up the race differently where the swim is less of a factor with a heavier emphasis on bike/run. And then what Nick echo's as well. I'm a little surprised however that we didn't see more names on both lists.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Professionals at IMSA rather than IMMELB [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
PJC wrote:
asianzone wrote:

This is the exact reason, plus there are some additional factors such as the fact that in general the Australian and New Zealand peeps tend to be much better swimmers while the Europeans are more bike heavy. This sets up the race differently where the swim is less of a factor with a heavier emphasis on bike/run. And then what Nick echo's as well. I'm a little surprised however that we didn't see more names on both lists.

IOW, you're saying that, b/c the Aussies and NZ-ers are generally better swimmers, the Aussie and NZ races have a diff dynamic where the swim is more important than in the Euro races, right??? Or are you saying the reverse???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Professionals at IMSA rather than IMMELB [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Professionals at IMSA rather than IMMELB [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Correct.

Interesting insight, thks!!! Maybe I'll plan my next iron race for AUS or NZ:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply