Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kickr or Lemond Revolution
Quote | Reply
I need a new trainer. I'm considering both the Lemond and the Kickr.

I see a lot of folks like the Wahoo Kickr, but there are a lot of people reporting watt differences, which leads me to believe getting a good one could be a gamble. I'm sure there are plenty of happy customers, but they do have a some vocal unhappy ones too. I really don't want the headache of tracking down internal PM issues. All of my bikes have PMs, I could just drive the Kickr with my external PM and call it a day. Since it's new, I also have some concerns about their electronics longevity. I can't afford to spend $1000 on it, only to have it not work properly in a few years.

After the buyout and other company churn, the Lemond seems like an equal gamble, but for different reasons. The likelihood of needing something serviced on it seems unlikely since it's not a "smart" trainer. But I could need small parts, like if road disc becomes the standard option in 5 years, I could need some type of axle/mount change.

Is it foolish to spend the money on a Lemond, when it's so close to the Wahoo in price?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a 2nd power meter? If not I would not recommend getting the Kickr. Can't really speak for the Lemond, but it's guaranteed to be dope free.

You can probably save a lot of money just getting a used computrainer. I've seen lightly used ones going for $600-800 now that it's spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me put it this way i sold my revolution and power pilot and watt box to buy the kickr and could not be happier and pairing it with trainerroad

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Do you have a 2nd power meter?
I primarily ride 2 bikes, both have PMs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 10-speed Lemond Revolution 1.0 a while back and recently upgraded to the 11-speed freehub. The "road-like" feel of the trainer is really nice - a lot better than my previous trainer (Cyclops SuperMagneto Pro). The only con is that it is super loud. I have it set up on the 3rd floor of my house in a semi-enclosed area, and I wear earplugs while I ride it. I use it pretty much exclusively while my 2 kids are sleeping and so far no complaints.

Like you - I have a PM on all of my bikes. I've never tried the Wahoo Kickr but I've always done intervals the old-fashioned way - push hard on the pedals until I'm in the range I want to be in.

You can buy the Revolution direct from greglemond.com for around $600-700. The company is definitely still active and was pretty responsive to my emails. When I bought the 11-speed freehub conversion kit it came in an envelope hand-written with the return address "Greg Lemond Fitness" and a residential address in downtown Minneapolis. I had an image of Greg Lemond sitting in his living room packing up stuff to ship out to customers lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaronechang wrote:
and I wear earplugs while I ride it.
That's pretty bad.

If you were to wear ear buds, would you have to jack up the volume to a ridiculous level?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents: I've got a Lemond Revolution and a Quarq and would definitely be interested to try a Kickr, but, the Lemond/Quarq/(TrainerRoad) set-up does indeed work well for me.
Reasons (for me) in favor of Kickr over Revolution/Quarq: it's quieter (this year, I started riding the Lemond with noise cancelling headphones since I've also got a huge fan going - much easier to hear music/ Trainer Road cues, and at pretty low volume level); since resistance is electronically controlled you can do low cadence/high wattage rides to simulate climbs, you can do wattage based training on any bike you may have that does not have a PM
Reasons (for me) in favor of Revolution/Quarq over Kickr: road "feel" of the trainer is very good (though the Kickr is also supposed to be not that far behind),you don't have to plug in the Revolution/calibrate/monitor software, it seems a bit redundant to ride a crank based PM bike on a Kickr (and I also like the idea of riding the same bike/PM outdoors that I'm using for training indoors.).

Anyway, I did almost pull the Kickr trigger, but decided (at least so far) to think about a second crank based PM for my road bike instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a Revolution for a year and a half and couldn't be happier. I don't think it is that loud, unless maybe your S.O. is trying to sleep in the next room. I find the wattbox is pretty accurate compared to a hub based PM. It doesn't require electricity which I believe the Kickr does. The road feel is great compared to my Cyclops fluid. Have not tried a Kickr though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear earbuds when riding on my Lemond. No need to jack up the volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
Do you have a 2nd power meter?
I primarily ride 2 bikes, both have PMs.

As long as they are not hub based, then you would be fine with a Kickr. You will need to use either TrainerRoad or PPS and set them up to use your PM to control the effort if you want consistent accurate erg workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd choose a KICKR 1,000,000 times before I'd take a Lemond Revolution. The KICKR does things the Lemond does not (the whole electronic vs not thing) but have you ever heard a Lemond in an enclosed space? It is LOUD. I heard it twice. Once during an outdoors IM expo a few years ago. I thought that was ungodly loud. Then I heard one inside a bike shop (big open space) and it was ridiculously loud. I cannot imagine what that sounds like within a house or apartment.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also the Cycleops Silencer if the criteria for choice is direct drive trainers.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaronechang wrote:
I've always done intervals the old-fashioned way - push hard on the pedals until I'm in the range I want to be in.

Same here.

By going from the Lemond to the KICKR, you would basically paying for erg mode and reduced noise. I've done the same workouts on $40 Craigslist trainers and on KICKRs. It takes a little more paying attention to hit your wattage targets without erg mode, but your training isn't limited.

That said, being able to program a workout for the KICKR, set it in the background, and just keep the pedals turning while the resistance washes over you is pretty sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all of the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have easy access to Lemonds, Kickrs, Computrainers and others.

The Kickr is nice to "Set and Forget"- Great for watching TV and getting in volume. Its quiet. Its also a pain in the butt. You'll put more time into fiddling with it than you care to. Its slow to respond to changes in intensity. The Wahoo App is lame. Perfpro makes it manageable.

The Lemond is nice to have simplicity. Nothing ever goes wrong with it, ever. You put your bike in and pedal. Every. Single. Time. Its loud. At high watts, even more so. You need headphones. And no neighbors. Or family. Unless you're a girly-man.

Computrainers. I hate the "road feel" non-starter to me. Otherwise is robust and quiet. You'll wear out tires.

Others: Like a computrainer, but worse.

If i only had one, it'd be the Lemond.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
You'll put more time into fiddling with it than you care to.
That's exactly what I don't want to worry about. I want a set it and forget it. I want to put it away for 6 months without a worry that it will be less than 100% when I come back to it.
Last edited by: rijndael: Mar 30, 15 18:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:

The Kickr is nice to "Set and Forget"- Great for watching TV and getting in volume. Its quiet. Its also a pain in the butt. You'll put more time into fiddling with it than you care to. Its slow to respond to changes in intensity. The Wahoo App is lame. Perfpro makes it manageable.

I have a Kickr and other than performing a spindown before each workout (20 seconds), thats all the fiddling I ever do with it. I have not experienced slow changes in intensity, its within a second or 2 depending on the amount of intensity change. Yes, the wahoo app is basic and good for manual operation, I don't use it. I am using TrainerRoads.com in ERG mode and its easy as can be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Lemond trainer for 5 years with no problems, and don't think it is noisy. However, since Zwift updated their software in July, I've run into problems, and have spent at least 5 or 6 hours "fiddling" with my setup (time I would much rather have spent pedaling). I'm still not back on Zwift - the latest is a "pairing devices" problem, which mystifies me as I do have the correct ANT+ dongle. I'm on the verge of buying a Kickr for the BLE setup, so I can just use my iPhone to Zwift. But hearing people complain of tech issues with the Kickr is not encouraging - would hate to spend all that money to still be fiddling with technology instead of riding!! Thoughts, anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [spressler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can convert Ant+ to Bluetooth using one of these:

https://4iiii.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029130411-How-Do-I-Bridge-ANT-Sensors-to-My-Bluetooth-Device-Using-Viiiiva-

My friend does it and it just seems to work once its set up. There are no doubt other options for devices to do this so I would have a quick google but that should solve your problem. LeMond is a great trainer if you can hack the noise, wish I still had mine! Best road feel of any trainer I owned and that includes the Neo 2T I am currently rocking :-) Apple, Zwift and all other tech companies keep 'upgrading' so the industry keeps selling stuff - that is the bottom line. So much for sustainability............

Good luck with it.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [Jlocout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+! on the non-fiddling on the Kickr ....actually I have a Kickr Core after having an Elite Direto (which I was very happy with) and the Kickr Core is awesome, I do not have the problem with it changing intensity, it works perfectly fine for me. I would definitely recommend it....its fire and forget as far as I am concerned.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr or Lemond Revolution [spressler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spressler wrote:
I've been using a Lemond trainer for 5 years with no problems, and don't think it is noisy. However, since Zwift updated their software in July, I've run into problems, and have spent at least 5 or 6 hours "fiddling" with my setup (time I would much rather have spent pedaling). I'm still not back on Zwift - the latest is a "pairing devices" problem, which mystifies me as I do have the correct ANT+ dongle. I'm on the verge of buying a Kickr for the BLE setup, so I can just use my iPhone to Zwift. But hearing people complain of tech issues with the Kickr is not encouraging - would hate to spend all that money to still be fiddling with technology instead of riding!! Thoughts, anyone?

FWIW- All the responses in the thread prior to yours were 6 years old. The tech has come a long way and is quite stable at this time.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
I have easy access to Lemonds, Kickrs, Computrainers and others.

You must not actually have one. I've been riding mine for 4+ years. All I ever do is turn on my computer, start Zwift and ride. There is no fiddling. Once in a great while I will run a spindown to callibrate (like 4x per year maybe?). It just works. Not sure what you would even fiddle with to begin with.
Quote Reply