Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Let me rephrase that same sentence "Put Tony Martin or Cancellara on either of those, there a good chance they won't be on the podium."

well, it might swap which of them wins, anyway.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Well, he might have been training wrong. We have to clone him and train him differently and find out.[/quote]'

My father used to run with Zatopek when he was young. It's widely accepted that in a very unscientific era of athletics Zatopek brought into vogue concepts like interval and resistance training (although in a very crude form 'I'm going to run fast between every second power pole' 'I'm going to run my long run in army boots').

I love hearing stories about my father's training sessions. It was a time and place where sport was very different (post training recovery meal? Crack a raw egg into a beer!)

I've beaten every one of my father's PRs over 3km, but given he could run 3:45 for 1500m on cinders I reckon some of his training worked.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
robgray wrote:
In many cases pros seem to be uninformed, or oblivious to the details that matter. I would look at what the top age groupers are doing. For example, many age groupers were wearing sleeved aero suits in Kona 2013, and very few pros were. In 2014 there were a lot of pros with sleeved suits. I have no idea why a lot of pros don't pay attention to that stuff, maybe they are too busy training and stuff

Many pros are also extremely arrogant when it comes to their abilities... not saying they're arrogant from a personality standpoint just arrogant when it comes to their sense of what they can and cannot do athletically.

I think it was Damon Rinard who put forth this little scenario about that. "Before they went pro, they get on a cheap old bike, they win. They get a little bit nicer bike, they still win. A local shop loans them a new bike, they win. They switch bikes a year later, they still win. They have a falling out with a shop, ride a different brand from a different shop, they still win. They have another falling out, bring out their old(er) cheap bike, they still win. They only stopped winning when they were acknowledged as the world's best. So no matter what numbers you put in front of them, they don't believe that equipment matters all that much. ". When you look at it through that lens, indifference to equipment makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:

Sutton coached athletes just play follow the leader and carry on like mindless drones when it comes to equipment choices. Shame on them. Chrissie Wellington has already been brought up. She won every IM race she started on pure talent. She made poor equipment choices, or at least poor equipment choices were made for her. Her bike sucked, her helmet sucked, and she didn't use a power meter (we can debate that endlessly but I think it's a fabulous race tool). If she would've continued racing she would have eventually lost at Kona by a minute (probably to Miranda Carfrae) and realized her bike and helmet choices cost her the win. She would've changed things up and picked up a better bike, worn an aero helmet, and probably comeback to win the following year.

clap clap.

You sure seem to have your way with the ladies....

Great testo-post otherwise..
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 30, 15 23:11
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

chrissie and daniella ryff both use normal helmet, a recomendation from sutton

Sutton is apparently good at some things, equipment selection is not one of those things.

Or, maybe, Brett knows his athletes very well. He didn't make these equipment choices for all his athletes (see Caroline in Kona as an example), or the same choices for all of their races.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all in for the Giro A2. Picked one up for $75 from Competitive Cyclist. Benefits over my road helmet (which I've stopped wearing).

Quieter - if I had known this I would have gotten one sooner. Less air turbulence around the ears allows me to hear traffic better and enjoy the ride.

Lighter - the other day, I forgot that I already had it on and was looking in the trunk for it.

No pointy aero look - doesn't have the sharp point that looks like it could impale someone if there was a crash. Plus, I don't have the speed for pointy aero so I don't want to create the impression that I'm that fast.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad I received so many replies to my initial post cheers guys

Think I'm gonna buy the rudy wing57
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spoken with someone who tests a lot of helmets and he told me to stay away from the Rudy Wing 57 as it rarely tests well for anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caroline Steffan said she did not like aero helmets because of the sound of the wind makes. I don't think she has had a solid helmet sponsor over the years so you think she would have tried several out to see which one sounded best.

For the most part I think it is either coaching suggestions or sponsorships. If you are not wearing one then it is your own fault if you lose by a small margin.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

Sutton coached athletes just play follow the leader and carry on like mindless drones when it comes to equipment choices. Shame on them. Chrissie Wellington has already been brought up. She won every IM race she started on pure talent. She made poor equipment choices, or at least poor equipment choices were made for her. Her bike sucked, her helmet sucked, and she didn't use a power meter (we can debate that endlessly but I think it's a fabulous race tool). If she would've continued racing she would have eventually lost at Kona by a minute (probably to Miranda Carfrae) and realized her bike and helmet choices cost her the win. She would've changed things up and picked up a better bike, worn an aero helmet, and probably comeback to win the following year.

clap clap.

You sure seem to have your way with the ladies....

Great testo-post otherwise..

Huh? I'm sorry but you're insinuating my post was somehow misogynistic??? Sutton coached male athletes as well who did whatever they were told. Chrissie is just the obvious star pupil and shining example about how pure talent trumped her less than ideal equipment choices.

Feel free to cherry pick whatever else fits your crazy agenda.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
I'm all in for the Giro A2. Picked one up for $75 from Competitive Cyclist. Benefits over my road helmet (which I've stopped wearing).

Quieter - if I had known this I would have gotten one sooner. Less air turbulence around the ears allows me to hear traffic better and enjoy the ride.

Lighter - the other day, I forgot that I already had it on and was looking in the trunk for it.

No pointy aero look - doesn't have the sharp point that looks like it could impale someone if there was a crash. Plus, I don't have the speed for pointy aero so I don't want to create the impression that I'm that fast.

I think you're referring to the Air Attack aero road helmet, not the Advantage 2.

Per Giro, the Air Attack tests midway between their road helmets and their Selector tailed aero helmet.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mistake. You are right as I have the Air Attack.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the biggest example that you can take from Chrissie is that she was very consistent in her approach and the results followed from that.

I made two significant deviations in late 2012/2013 that, in retrospect (duh), were not smart.

The first was thinking that I needed to drastically change my approach to swimming after Kona 2012. Rather than taking the view that it was over-racing (Leadman 3 weeks prior & IMNYC 9 weeks prior) that took away my front end speed, I decided I *needed* to become a better swimmer. I ended up doing what Sutton, ironically, talks about seeing numerous times. Guys become 1min faster in the water and 10min slower on the bike+run. Having now shifted my focus back to the way I used to train, i really wish I had invested that time in running instead of swimming, since there is a pretty clear correlation between volume:speed with running that doesn't exist in swimming.

The second is that I had always been judicious about how many races - especially long races - I did, never doing more than 2 in a 365 day period. Then, for all kinds of reasons some of which were dumb and some of which weren't, I did 5 eight+ hour races in 10 months between 2012 and 2013.

Now, granted, this isn't really that germane to the topic at hand, but I think what is noteworthy about Chrissie is that she was very good at "keeping the faith." Of course, she also won basically every race she ever did, which makes it a lot easier to have faith. But with Kona '12 really being my only really bad race in the prior two+ years, I look back and wonder "what the heck was I thinking?"

To loop this back to the particular topic at hand, I think it's often a wise decision to not mess with success. So, if you have athletes who win races - especially female athletes, where there seems to be a bigger spread on the bike, whether by tactic or physiology or both - without an aero helmet, I think it isn't necessarily "dumb" that they race without an aero helmet. If they are getting slaughtered on the bike, then sure, they might want to think about it. But for some of them, they are posting the fastest bike splits in spite of this.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
I've spoken with someone who tests a lot of helmets and he told me to stay away from the Rudy Wing 57 as it rarely tests well for anyone.
i was under the impression that the rudy 57 always tests better than the wingspan did, and may not be the fastest for some, but never the slowest either. In other words, its a 'decent' lid. I think it tested quite well for one of the guys at the first aerocamp from memory
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

i was under the impression that the rudy 57 always tests better than the wingspan did, and may not be the fastest for some, but never the slowest either. In other words, its a 'decent' lid. I think it tested quite well for one of the guys at the first aerocamp from memory

Perhaps I misheard but I was told the opposite of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope not coz I bloody got one lol. Mind you I only do sprints or team leg the cycle of 70.3's for fun these days
Quote Reply
Re: Why some professional triathletes race Ironman/Half Ironman WITHOUT an aero helmet? [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea where we could find one of these 'easily'?

kenpetruzzelli wrote:
What is your budget? You can easily find a discounted Giro A2 from a season or 2 ago. The Aero Camp last year observed that any one of several (or maybe a few) helmets worked best for each person, but the A2 was almost always second best. So, for the money, the A2 is pretty smart. You also fit a good road helmet into your budget, since, much like the A2, you can often find older models discounted online.

If you're worried about ventilation, what you might want to avoid is an aero helmet with a visor and no ventilation. Having air on your face helps a lot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next