Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Poconos for my first 70.3???
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about doing the challenge Poconos as my first 70.3 race. Logistically it works for me as I live in PA and it gives me plenty of time to recover before the MCM. One of my concerns is having two transition areas. It doesn't seem like that will be too big of a deal but I also have no experience with it. I know challenge only took the race over last year, but it seems like most people on this forum believe they put on really good events. I would appreciate your thoughts/advice on making this my first 70.3 Thanks in advanced.
Last edited by: glucky: Mar 28, 15 16:43
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Poconos for my first 70.3??? [glucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sent you a PM with some info.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Poconos for my first 70.3??? [glucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it last year as my first 70.3. I thought it was well run. The two transitions were not an issue. Drop off bike by Saturday evening, set up T2 in the morning, get bussed to swim venue and set up T1.One bag to stick you clothes in (it was chilly) one bag to stuff your swim stuff into. 4 mile downhill from T1 to course proper.I was hitting 40 mph until I hit some curves where I couldn't pass safely. Course is open to cars so you have to stay to the right.

Hit T2 and right out on the run, crossed the finish line and my clothing and swim bags were waiting next to my bike. Run course is a mix of roads and hard packed trail, scenic along the Delaware river. One killer hill when you climb out of the park (trail area) and get back on River road for the last 5-7 k. We rented a house about three miles from the venue through VRBO instead of staying in the hotel by the finish line so we could cook our own meals. I'd do it again, but it was a long trek from Texas to get there. Doing Challenge Williamsburg this year instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Poconos for my first 70.3??? [jlee565] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may do that race as well. A bit hilly, but otherwise seems fun. As an alternative, Challenge AC is supposed to be a great race, super super flat and entire run is on the boardwalk which is pretty cool. I'll be there as well for my first 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 On their website they say the bike course is closed to traffic once inside the park. How much of the course is actually inside the park? Or is none of it actually closed off? Thanks info and good luck at Williamsburg
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Poconos for my first 70.3??? [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge AC is too early for me. Last year I was on vacation down the jersey shore the week leading up to the race and it was so hot and humid and without any shade I think I would have died haha. Maybe some day down the road but not for my first 70.3 I am also looking at Toughman NY, and MAYBE if I feel adventurous Challenge Maine though that would be a good distance to travel. Not sure if I really want to add in the extra stress of such a long travel. Good luck in your races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poconos will be hot in end of August. Toughman is a little cooler. I watched Challenge AC last year and the run on the boardwalk will cook an egg. Challenge Quassy and Patriotman are good June races also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From T1 to the bottom of the big hill (that you never have to climb) is open to traffic. You make a right and go about a mile or so, make a u-turn backtrack the mile sharing with cars, you enter the park and ride about 40 miles (20, u turn, 20) on closed roads. Get back to the one mile out and back from the beginning turn onto Community Dr (closed road)for the only real climb of the course then on to River road (closed, but part of the run course) in to T2. In all maybe only 6 of the 56 miles are open road.

I'm a flatlander and didn't find the hills on Community to be that challenging, though I was only going about 3 mph near the top of the first one.
Last edited by: jlee565: Mar 30, 15 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. Definitely leaning towards doing it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a great experience there last year. weather was atrocious on race morning, but it turned out to be a beautiful day. Could not as for a better run course. Most the middle half of the run is on smooth trails, completely shaded by trees. Plus, post-race beer and great food. I wrote a race report after my experience last year if you need more info: http://finnnder.blogspot.com/...au_=i5VWFKPsS4J0LRcR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glucky wrote:
I was thinking about doing the challenge Poconos as my first 70.3 race

I love the irony in this sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glucky wrote:
One of my concerns is having two transition areas. It doesn't seem like that will be too big of a deal but I also have no experience with it.

the two transitions was a little difficult for me last year too. But there are shuttles galore and they allowed spectators at the swim start last year so there was plenty of transportation. I dropped off my bike gear at T1 the night before, then race morning took my run shoes down to T2. Then went up to T1 to get everything ready. The only concern is for spectators driving out of T1 during the race. Bikes are flying down the hill and cars are driving down to try to see their racers after the first short turnaround. So, yes, it adds a little logistical complexity to the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New this year, the bike course will almost entirely be closed to traffic. Officials vehicles, canoe liveries, and emergency vehicles are the only vehicles on the bike course. With a net downhill bike course, it will produce some fast times. A few minor changes (maybe an extra hill) on the run course but still as beautiful. Of course, Shawnee Craft Brewing will have cold beer waiting at the finish line.

I know some are concerned about 2 transitions but I promise you we make it super easy for you. We even setup live cameras at the swim and display the swim on the jumbotron at the finish area so spectators don't have to shuttle.

Hope to see you there!

Eric
Challenge Family
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this race last year and loved it! I was so disappointed when I saw they moved the date because I had already signed up for another race on Aug 16th.

The two transition areas works well. it's actually kind of nice because it cuts down on the amount of crap in transition. Just bring what you need to T1 and leave what you need in T2. after the swim, throw your swim stuff in the bag they provide and it shows up in t2 after the race.

rev 3 put on a great show and from what i understand challenge does an equally good job.

the bike course is pretty simple and straight, the descent from the swim is fun IMO. not much climbing.

run course is rolling hills, and flat in the middle. also shaded throughout most of it which will help with heat.

its the poconos in august so it should be cool in the morning and hotter at the end of the race.

post race beer was a nice treat.

there are a few hotels within driving distance if you don't want to stay at host hotel, but staying at host hotel would be nice for friends and family if you're bringing any.

best of luck if you race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"One of my concerns is having two transition areas. It doesn't seem like that will be too big of a deal but I also have no experience with it."

I have no experience with this particular race but if the basis of your question is managing two transitions then my advice is to allow yourself a lot of time the day before to figure it out. I did Challenge Rancho Cordova last year and agree that they put on a good race. Races that allow bike checks the day before are great. Of the three races that I've done with two transition locations, Challenge RC was the easiest to manage. Next was IMLT. Unfortunately Vineman does not allow prior day bike check so this creates a ton of congestion race morning getting into the Guerneville (basically only one way in).

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Poconos for my first 70.3??? [LMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the advice. Bit the bullet and officially signed up. Time to get my ass in gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck! Have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have fun, I'd do it again if it was still in September
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Poconos for my first 70.3??? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone know if they offer packet pickup / bike check-in option on raceday (with fee is fine) or is it mandatory for Saturday?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Poconos for my first 70.3??? [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email Challenge with an explanation of what you need and why, they've always been reasonable with things like this.
Quote Reply