Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Whats your training and race shoe? [Erockk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train in either Saucony Kinvara's for road, and Brooks Pure Grit on the trails. I race in either the Kinvara's or Fastwitch. I may try some lighter racing shoes soon though. I only race sprint and oly though.
Quote Reply
Re: Whats your training and race shoe? [Erockk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rotate the Saucony Mirage and Adidas Adistar Boost for training, depending on what the day's run is and how my legs feel.

Racing is done in the New Balance RC1400.

Replacing the mirage soon and thinking of going for the Adidas Tempo Boost for more cushion.

To answer your question, I do train in more stable shoes and race in very unsupportive shoes.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Whats your training and race shoe? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SDJ wrote:
I would start with a "racing or racing/training" shoe with similar heel to toe offset you are currently training in. For the NB 870 I would suggest looking at these shoes:

Brooks Racer ST
Asics DS Trainer 20 or Gel Noosa 10
adidas Boost Tempo 7

Do some speed work in your race day shoe to make sure it works and you can do so without pain. Once you've been injury free for a year, then go to a true low to the ground go fast racing flat like the DS Racer.

How about Asic's Gel-Electro? What is your opinion of that shoe as a tempo/race option for folks like the OP?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Whats your training and race shoe? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
SDJ wrote:
I would start with a "racing or racing/training" shoe with similar heel to toe offset you are currently training in. For the NB 870 I would suggest looking at these shoes:

Brooks Racer ST
Asics DS Trainer 20 or Gel Noosa 10
adidas Boost Tempo 7

Do some speed work in your race day shoe to make sure it works and you can do so without pain. Once you've been injury free for a year, then go to a true low to the ground go fast racing flat like the DS Racer.

How about Asic's Gel-Electro? What is your opinion of that shoe as a tempo/race option for folks like the OP?

Scott

The Gel Electro is a nice shoe. Similar Stability to to the shoes above, with a flat bottom construction (No midfoot piece to separate the heel and forefoot). It's quite soft which is a personal preference. Either you like soft or you don't. I would put it in the 1/2 step between the NB 870 and the DS Trainer.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Whats your training and race shoe? [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! As a bigger (180lbs) dude with a tendency to pronate, I seem to do best with cushioned stability. Asics GT 2000-2 and Saucony Guide 7 fit the bill as my trainers. On paper, the Asics Electro seems aligned as a good tempo/racer. I'll give them a spin next time I visit my LRS.

That said, the Oceanside thread has me wondering about the midfoot bridge on those trainers and the flat bottom build of the Electro. So many variables!

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next