Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P90Puma wrote:
Croptop wrote:
Swim: Garmin Swim but I covet a Garmin Fenix 3
Bike: Garmin Edge 800 but I'd love some sort of heads up display (like a Recon Jet)
Run: Garmin Fenix 2 but I covet a Garmin Fenix 3

Why do you use a gSwim when you have a Fenix2?

I had the swim before I got the Fenix 2. Old habits die hard.

That and the Garmin Swim is smaller.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming: Nothing, I don't swim

Running: 310XT (pace, avg. pace, cadence, time, HR, distance)

Cycling: Recently upgraded to Edge 810 (got 810 vs. 510 because I century on unfamiliar roads and wanted turn by turn maps for that) Other than that large display for power metrics vs. 310XT I was using before. (3second Power, Lap Power, Avg Power, HR, Distance, Time, Cadence)

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Croptop wrote:
P90Puma wrote:
Croptop wrote:
Swim: Garmin Swim but I covet a Garmin Fenix 3
Bike: Garmin Edge 800 but I'd love some sort of heads up display (like a Recon Jet)
Run: Garmin Fenix 2 but I covet a Garmin Fenix 3

Why do you use a gSwim when you have a Fenix2?

I had the swim before I got the Fenix 2. Old habits die hard.

That and the Garmin Swim is smaller.

Ah OK, just wanted to know if I missed something, as far as I know Fenix 2 has all the features of the Swim and way more.

I just grabbed the Mio Link, HR was good for a run, looking forward to getting in the pool with it.

Really wish Garmin would open up ANT+ HR in pool mode....

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim - fenix2 to record, but I'd love a HUD in my googles for pace

Bike - Garmin 510 with Vectors, happy so far

Run - fenix2, happy.
Last edited by: prattzc: Mar 28, 15 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 920 for all. I graduated from a 305 so this was a big step up

Swim never used anything other than pace clock before. Love the data collected by the 920.

Bike - I wouldn't mind a bigger display but not much problem with the watch turned to the underside. Display distance, 10s power, HR, and total time

Run - the 920 display is more than adequate.

I struggled with using a watch with my old eyes. I wasn't sure the 920 would even be worth it if I couldn't see it. Then my optometrist turned me on to multi-focus contacts. Now I can see it even with 4 fields displayed.

All I want now is a mile a minute off my run times. Oh, and the ability to have bought it with a wrist based optical sensor. I'm really not a fan of chest straps. And going back and spending an extra $120 is almost as chafing as the chest strap.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - Garmin 310xt for time

Bike - I use a power meter, so use either my Garmin 510 or 705, depending on which bike and power meter I'm using

Run - 310xt with foot pod
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: nothing, but goggles based metrics would be great
Bike:EDGE 1000, same reason as Dan, poor eyesight
Run:910XT for ripen, a Recon type sunglasses would be cool, don't have to look at watch

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For swim training, I've got a finger-mounted lap counter with a stopwatch feature. One button, one screen. Helps me make sense of training in a 33-metre pool with a pace clock only on one side (and bad eyes). It does the job, but I'd like something with more data though not at the expense of simplicity.

Cycling: Head unit, between the arms (and in front of stem, on the road bike) - that's where I'm staring anyway. I like my Joule GPS - very legible. Crucial variables (always on-screen) are 3sec power, cadence and HR. For racing I only have those. In training I like to add accumulated TSS, elapsed lap time, lap distance and others to track the session.

For running, wrist-mounted. Tried a HUD, disliked it.

What I'd really want is a stealthy recording-only unit. GPS and ANT+/BT, preferably on my back for decent swim data. I often race with a bulky triathlon wrist watch to record data for later viewing, but swim and transition times aren't useful during the race. Having one unit record everything without interfering or creating drag would be great. Add a head unit for cycling and a wrist watch for the run, and perfect. Could even be a "slave" watch/headunit then (think Wahoo RFLKT) - reads from the recorder.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin 310xt that I've had 5 years for bike and run. I use it with my Quarq for power on the race bike, otherwise just speed, distance, time, cadence. On run it is mainly for min/mile pace and occasional glances at HR.

Bought a Garmin Swim to count laps at the pool, enjoying the pace data now that I have it.

If I was buying something new it might be an 810 for larger display with power meter. If I hadn't bought the Swim i'd maybe just get the 920xt.
Last edited by: knighty76: Mar 29, 15 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suunto ambit2s for SBR
I like it so far , but havent tried open-water swims yet.

Would like to get a 4iii powermeter, or similar

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: Polar V800 (mainly for data collection only)
Bike: Edge 510 as a big display (and the V800 on the wrist)
Run: Polar V800
Dual sensors on the bikes (BLE/ANT+), Hr, Speed, Power, Cadence
I wear the V800 16/7 (ie. not 24/7)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use my 910 for everything, both for simplicity and for cost-effectiveness - I only got the 910 within the last year when it was on super sale.

When running/swimming (OW) its on my wrist, when cycling its quick released on top of my bar (road) or between aero bars (tri). With both setups I never have a problem seeing the 4 fields size wise and there are more data options than I could ever dream of using.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
swimming - nothing
bike - edge 500
run - forerunner 220

I prefer sport specific computers, rather than one that attempts to do them all.

^^^this just displaying HR, speed and Power on my 510 and HR, & pace on the 220.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - 920 - love it, the only thing is change is for the buttons to be programmable so that the start/stop could be swapped for the lap button. I have the watch on my left hand and sometimes press the wrong button when I complete an interval. Also to be able to pop swim workouts on Garmin Connect so they upload to the watch would be cool.

Bike - 920 on the wrist and 510 as a head unit. I should just use the 510 but I like to collect the data on my watch for the VO2 Max calculation and also for my 'records'. I'd love Garmin to do an update to both the 920 and 510 oh and Garmin Connect so that the VO2 number was on the website so I could just use the one device.

One thng I'd like Garmin to change is to be able to load brick workouts onto Garmin Connect and then onto the watch. Presently it's only bike or run.

Run - 920. Great for pacing etc.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar V800 wristwatch for everything.
  • actually wear it 24/7
  • pool swimming: works ok except for some missed laps
  • cycling: OK when turned to inside wrist on aerobars, but no Power Meter compatability with my Stages yet
  • running: Perfect
  • functional training & other sports: use it for all

Additional for cycling I'm currently using my ANT+-enabled smartphone (with App: IpBike) to display & record power data.
As soon as Polar & Stages play along, I'd probably forego the cycling-headunit for racing, but would still like some sort of non-recording display on my handlebards for training.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all pool swimming I use my Garmin Swim. It works really well and I love the interval (lap) function with the rest timer. It makes it very easy to do sets with specified rest intervals or sets with a start on a certain interval.

For biking I prefer the Garmin 500, it has plenty of metrics and also shows me up to 8 fields in one screen. That means less need to go and press buttons and take my eyes off the road. It has always worked flawlessly. During races I will use both my Garmin 500 and my Garmin 910XT, with the 500 showing my current values and the garmin showing my average values. THat way no need to be pressing buttons at all.

For running I always use my Garmin 910XT, easy to use and shows me everything I want to see.

So for the swim, a watch works great but I don't see any data until it's too late (i.e. the set is done). Having data projected on the goggles would be nice and serve as a great training tool.

For the bike I don't think I want anything else than a bike computer. A recon Jet seems like an accident waiting to happen. I just want to focus on the road and not have anything reduce my field of view.

For running the watch also works well, I don't know what it would be like running with e.g. a Recon Jet. Maybe the bounce makes it difficult to read the display or makes it annoying - not sure. I still think I only want to see the data occasionally as I'm running and not all the time.

Quote | Reply
Swim: pace clock or an old digital watch left on the pool deck
Run: iPhone in a SPIBelt and a Magellan Echo watch. Use the Wahoo Fitness app the most.
Cycling: road: old wired PowerTap and LYC mtb: probably going to use the Wahoo Rflkt+. Used the Gaia GPS app on my ride yesterday. I also like the MTB Project app.

I think the speed of innovation with Bluetooth Smart and phone apps is much more rapid than Garmin or other dedicated watches. Last Garmin I bought was a 405, and I hardly go anywhere without bringing my phone along.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming:
Pace clock or regular digital watch.

Biking:
Head Unit. Using the Joule. It was a pain at first, but now that I've got it figured out, I think I'd only upgrade to something with maps like the Garmin 810.

Running:
Garmin 220. Generally, distance, time, and lap pace are the only info I want/need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - Ambit 2S at the end of each repeat and analysis on Movescount at the end of the workout
Bike/Run - Ambit 2S. I monitor speed, HR, Distance, and Cadence. I don't train with power. Then analyze in Movescount.

I like to have everything in one unit and like analyzing it in one interface. Monitoring biking with a wristwatch is not ideal but I prefer dealing with the inconvenience if it means running all data through one device.

I would love a Bluetooth connection from my watch to a head unit so that I can see the data in a convenient place. The head-unit would be slave to the wristwatch. This would be great if it could be done so that it wouldn't draw down too much power on the wristwatch and if the transfer was real time (i.e. no delay). I prefer having the head unit be slave to the watch because I only want one device doing the monitoring and I don't want to worry about reconciling data from different devices. "One device to rule them all."

BTW, I think that an "affordable" option for data display on goggles while swimming would be awesome but once again not at the cost of having yet another device to measure stuff.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a 310xt for all three. I recently got a power meter though, and am wishing I had more screen space for more data, especially when I'm on the trainer and want to stare at it. So I'm starting to look for a cycling head unit.

Bottom line is, a multisport watch does the job for me, but in an ideal world I'd have a specific device for all three sports.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you use, or want to use, as a display, for swim/bike/run metrics? [PMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A multisport watch is perfect to monitor (I use Garmin910), but while swimming I prefer the Finis tempo trainer as the perfect pacing tool. Check this : http://www.endurancepeakcoaching.com/...r-meter-for-swimmers

Triatlon/Running/Cycling coach
TrainingPeaks Certified
http://www.endurancepeakcoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim - cheapest waterproof Timex I could find
Bike - Garmin 500, has what I need - speed, power 3s, power 10s, time, HR, good battery live
Run - Garmin 610, has what I need - lap pace, average pace, time, distance, HR if I want to check, good battery life

Better swim metrics might be interesting, but I'm just building up the base right now.

But the new heads-up displays (Recon Jet) do have appeal once they get smaller, lighter, longer batter life ...
Quote Reply

Prev Next