Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running with Flat Feet and Arthritis
Quote | Reply
Well, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my right foot yesterday. The podiatrist recommends that I reduce my running mpw by 30% minimum, and given the physical nature of my profession, avoid running or pounding movements all together.

Looking for input from anyone who has arthritis in their feet, podiatrists, internet physicians, etc. I'm looking for anecdotes, not diagnosis or treatment. Kind of bummed out a little today.
Quote Reply
Re: Running with Flat Feet and Arthritis [lhpoulin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no way to have a blanket statement to decrease running by any amount. You went for an appt, so had some symptoms/pain, and have a diagnosis.

It is up to you whether or not you want to follow the advice given. Nothing wrong with a second opinion either. Also, did you ask what would happen if you don't stop running? Have you tried anything else to mitigate the symptoms?

Where is your pain and does it correlate to your areas of "arthritis"? How old are you? Do you have copies of the X-rays? Some types/areas of arthritis are amenable to surgery if you must.

Quote | Reply
What rroof said! I think you'd be best off having as specific a diagnosis as possible then going from there. Since we're fairly symmetric creatures, you may have this process in the opposite limb but without symptoms. Depending on the location and severity of your arthritis, with a little work, you may be able to continue for quite some time. Sounds like you have a couple of "steps" before you give up on running. Best of luck.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Where is your arthritus specifically?

2. I have all types of foot issues and have found trail running is a life saver. I have found a couple routes with dirt roads that are great to run on. They are soft, yet have less roots and rocks to worry about.
Quote Reply