Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Specialized Transition & Armored Hen House
Quote | Reply
I am planning to buy an Armored Hen House bag for my Specialized Transition but am not sure what the best way is to remove the fork.. The brake is attached to the fork and the end of the brake cable has a cap on (similar to the pic below).. Would appreciate any advice.. Thank you..

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/...ansition_front_brake
Last edited by: cw1234: Mar 5, 15 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition & Armored Hen House [cw1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm remembering correctly, at the joint where the two black arms meet the red arms in your picture, you should be able to loosen a nut and swing the two black arms out. Added bonus of leaving the cable correctly tensioned on the headtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three options.

1) that cable ferrule is not required and can be pulled off with some pliers. Superglue or solder works just as well in preventing fraying. This is probably the easiest option. But it will require retensioning the cable

2)what the poster said above wont work. The "black arms" are attached to the "red arms", one has a hook and the other does not. It probably has a hole. Anyway, if you look at the back side of the metal posts (black in your pic) that the black arms mount to, you'll see a small retaining ring (c-clip). If you remove this, the black post can be removed and then the black arm. But its really small and could be easily lost or damaged. So id vote for option 1.

3) you could just remove the brake arms from the fork, but I haven't tried to adjust mine in so long I can't remember if it was a PIA. Option 1 is 2min max on either end...
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition & Armored Hen House [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, you're right about that. In fact I had to refashion that little clip out of a paper clip at one point for my rear brake.... Actually I can't say I recommend that option either.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Transition & Armored Hen House [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both much for your advice. Option 1 sounds good.. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no worries, glad to help, its rare that I can do that around here! Those ferrules are a PIA and I'd recommend ditching them everywhere. The high end shops all use a dip of solder, but as I mentioned, a drop or 2 of superglue will keep the cable from fraying.

Before you just go yanking on the ferrule, try to "re-deform" it to its natural state (it should have been crimped or pinched") and then it will almost fall off, if it doesn't just rip it off. But make sure that you're pulling away from the frame/fork!

Anyway - good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remove the brake cable on mine. A sharpie marker can help you get it close to the right place when you put it back. I also travel with an extra cable, just in case the cable frays.
Quote Reply