Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favorite Race Shirts
Quote | Reply
I help organize a tri and have started the process of getting shirts designed but wanted some quick input from the forum.

We are debating on offering a middle of the road shirt + a pint glass. OR offering a high end race shirt (brooks, new balance, etc) and no pint glass.

Is more swag better or is quality over quantity more important?

*If anyone has a favorite shirt you've received from a tri/race please share some details.

Also, anybody excited over the print on a shirt that you've received?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Race Shirts [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I prefer a high-end tech tee shirt. I have gotten a pint glass from a race before and can't say I've used it too much. It's just another glass in the cabinet to use from with nothing real special about it.

However, with the tech tee, I'm able to continuously use them during workouts. I rarely wear the 'middle of the road' shirt compared to the tech tees from races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of the NB shirts that I've received from events. Swag has really taken a hit in the last few years and has become just a bag of coupons. I'm sure you've seen this too. I personally would like a halfway decent (at least I could use it at the gym) shirt and a pint glass. But if the decision is a low end shirt and a glass or a high end shirt and no glass, I'll take the high end shirt. Just my thoughts.

Todd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite race shirt is actually from a 5K I ran two years ago. It's a soft "vintage" cotton shirt with a cool design on the front & sponsors on the back. It's not a thick Hanes Beefy-T. I wear it all the time. I can't/don't run in it, but that's totally fine by me. I already have more tech running shirts than I know what to do with.

I'm not a fan of the tech t-shirts, because the quality is always terrible. I get that it's a massive expense to do a brand name tech shirt over a cheap generic tech shirt, and honestly, I'm not willing to pay the upcharge in registration to offset that.

When you spread the swag budget out over a bunch of low quality items, they will all eventually end up in the trash or goodwill. If you have a budget to do a top quality shirt or a top quality pint glass or a top quality single swag item, I would prefer that over a poor quality shirt, a water bottle that leaks or will melt the first time it is washed, or a bag full of coupons (though those are usually provided by sponsors).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make them optional.
I'd much rather pay $20 on race day after seeing the race shirt once a year than $10 more in entry fees every race for something I'll likely just throw in a drawer. The nice tech shirts usually start at $20 in bulk, so yeah, I'd pay accordingly. The worse thing you can do is make an ugly design or so much ink that a silky tech shirt becomes rigid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely a nice tech tee. As far as print, I hate elaborate logos and anything that says "finisher".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
I help organize a tri and have started the process of getting shirts designed but wanted some quick input from the forum.

We are debating on offering a middle of the road shirt + a pint glass. OR offering a high end race shirt (brooks, new balance, etc) and no pint glass.

Is more swag better or is quality over quantity more important?

*If anyone has a favorite shirt you've received from a tri/race please share some details.

Also, anybody excited over the print on a shirt that you've received?

I do not like the tech shirts - I would prefer a soft, heathered, cotton-poly shirt. A nice design goes a long way too. This is the way to go IMO.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely quality over quantity. Also, consider doing a long-sleeve shirt. Personally I have a surplus of short-sleeve tee shirts of all kinds and not as many long-sleeve ones as I'd like.

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Race Shirts [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I would prefer a soft, heathered, cotton-poly shirt. A nice design goes a long way too. This is the way to go IMO.

this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a while the tech Tees get old so it's tough to say. Late season races I like the "other" items like your pint glass while early season I'm ok with Tech Tees. I'd like to see other things that are usable in training as well. Headlamps, Head Buffs/Bandana, Visors, Number magnets (to use instead of pins), water bottle (camelbak podium), bottle cages, race belts, tech socks, towels, massage balls, mesh bag for pool gear, etc.

I realize that the art of putting on a race is a tough affair but creativity with the Swag can earn a lot of repeat customers. Sorry to have gotten far off topic here.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the tech shirt. The problem with the pint glasses is that I only get one, and no one needs lots of mismatched glasses.

For the shirt: design a great looking shirt, not a great design that you printed on a shirt.

This:

Not This:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Race Shirts [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Make them optional.
I'd much rather pay $20 on race day after seeing the race shirt once a year than $10 more in entry fees every race for something I'll likely just throw in a drawer. The nice tech shirts usually start at $20 in bulk, so yeah, I'd pay accordingly. The worse thing you can do is make an ugly design or so much ink that a silky tech shirt becomes rigid.

The benefit of doing shirts with pre-registration is that the organizer can buy a known quantity from the printer. To have them optional on race day means that the organizer has to guess how many he might sell and then pay out of pocket for them and hope that he makes his money back.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Race Shirts [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstyer wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
Make them optional.

The benefit of doing shirts with pre-registration is that the organizer can buy a known quantity from the printer. To have them optional on race day means that the organizer has to guess how many he might sell and then pay out of pocket for them and hope that he makes his money back.

Oh yes, I understand this. I wouldn't expect there to be a bonanza of shirts back there. With how many people sign up and never show up, there are probably enough shirts available to sell again to satisfy the few people who waited to see how they look. If the shirts are so cool, then the RD could consider collecting money and make another order. Obviously, it would have to be a big order to overcome printing, shipping, PITA costs.

I ran badger mountain last year and did not order a shirt. They had a few left over and they were cool, and I was keen to buy one, but none in my size. Oh well. I would still rather be occasionally disappointed like that than constantly pay for shirts when I already have enough.

But, if I am doing a race where shirts are not optional, I would rather get a long sleeve tech shirt. Those are pretty rare in race swag, so I actually use those quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make them optional. I have way way more shirts, cotton or tech tee than I can ever wear.

Now, one thing I have gotten that I use are swim goggles.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply