Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leg cramps on the run after the bike
Quote | Reply
In my 70.3 races I have done in the past two years, I struggled with leg (quads) cramps on my run. This usually happens after hammering on the bike and half way through my run. Twice, the pain was so severe that I had to sit on the ground and cry for minutes before getting back up to finish my run. In my olympic distance races including half marathons, I never had this problem.

I have tried different methods such as early hydration, additional nutrition, salt intakes, none is working for me. Appreciate any advise, feedback, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg cramps on the run after the bike [Chino_ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chino_ironman wrote:
In my 70.3 races I have done in the past two years, I struggled with leg (quads) cramps on my run. This usually happens after hammering on the bike and half way through my run. Twice, the pain was so severe that I had to sit on the ground and cry for minutes before getting back up to finish my run. In my olympic distance races including half marathons, I never had this problem.

I have tried different methods such as early hydration, additional nutrition, salt intakes, none is working for me. Appreciate any advise, feedback, etc.

Stop hammering on the bike.

Insufficient bike fitness for the effort rears its head starting mile 7 (for you, some others starts at mile 1 or 2 :) )......
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 4, 15 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train as hard as you race.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg cramps on the run after the bike [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Chino_ironman wrote:

Stop hammering on the bike.

Insufficient bike fitness for the effort rears its head starting mile 7 (for you, some others starts at mile 1 or 2 :) )......

What he said, it's not nutrition or electrolytes. It's fatigue.
Quote Reply
Re: Leg cramps on the run after the bike [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Train as hard as you race.

This. If at all possible, try to have training runs on course and run off a few miles after. This way you can experiment with pace, nutrition, etc...

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You race stuff too long for your training.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have your Thyroid level checked. Seriously, worked for me after many years in the "Cramp Camp".
Quote Reply
Re: Leg cramps on the run after the bike [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally some decent tips and feedback.. Although I am nowhere near the pro level, but I doubt a pro will listen the advice of going easy on the bike to avoid cramping issues.

In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chino_ironman wrote:
Finally some decent tips and feedback.. Although I am nowhere near the pro level, but I doubt a pro will listen the advice of going easy on the bike to avoid cramping issues.

In Reply To:

A pro also races within his/her own limits.

By your own admission, you 'hammer' the bike. Perhaps, just perhaps, you do not have the level of bike fitness you think you do.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chino_ironman wrote:

In Reply To:

Urgghh, you're just fishing for the response you like. The simplest answer is most likely the correct one, you're probably over biking for your fitness level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your worries are over, it looks like 'astrosir' has a cure for everything! :)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that for a few years. When I started riding within my abilities I ran much better.

Edit: and took 20 minutes off my best HIM time.

jaretj
Last edited by: jaretj: Mar 5, 15 6:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as you. My background is in swimming so I have great aerobic fitness compared to my strength and muscular endurance, so while the bike *feels* relatively easy and not like I'm killing myself, I'm still pushing too hard for my muscles to manage. Like you, hydration, nutrition, salt doesn't help. I've also tried to make a point to ride with a high cadence, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. I'm hoping a winter of heavy bike training will do the trick. Because the other alternative is to just ease up in the race, and no one wants to stand for that.

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't bike so hard

"It's Simple, if it jiggles, it's fat" Shwarzenegger
Quote Reply
Re: Leg cramps on the run after the bike [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the interwebz. "Let me ask a question and I'll ignore all responses that actually require me to do some self examination because there's no way my problem is actually caused by me."

Excuses, excuses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you ride with power? If so, how are you metering your effort in a 70.3 vs. Olympic?

Quote | Reply
texafornia wrote:
You race stuff too long for your training.

Boom, there it is son
Quote Reply