Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs
Quote | Reply
I'm going to visit worlds this year in Richmond. No specific plans, just ride my bike as much as possible and run the 10 mile race on the course Friday night. Probably planning on being in the area wed - sun. I will be driving to the area.

Any recommendations for hotels? I might be behind the ball on this but wasn't sure I would make it until recently. I would also be open to paying to stay with someone. Especially someone who lives in a location with good access to riding/running routes or the cycling activities.

Thanks for any information. I'll probably try booking through normal commercial recommendations this weekend...if there even is anything available. I would also be wiling to stay a reasonable distance out of Richmond if necessary since I will have a car/bike.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [JeffJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most hotels within 5 miles of downtown have been booked, and those with vacancies are charging up to 3x normal price. There is a Hotel Massad, which is quite bare bone but available and charges normal rate last time i called in early February. Another option is Air B&B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried getting in touch with the local tri club?
They are listed in the ST Tri club listing, but here's the link:
http://www.richmondtriclub.com/...ers_coordinators.php
You can email directly from this page.
Best,
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've probably already seen this, but there seems to be plenty of options here:

http://richmond2015.com/...fice/accommodations/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Church Hill a few blocks from the main climbs in the course. There are plenty of options for riding and spectating the race on the east end of town. The downtown trail system is great for running and Belle Isle is a great loop as well.

Check out the Richmond Tri Club and Peluso Open Water for structured workout options.

As for Hotels, I'm sure the city is ready to make $$ off all of the visitors... Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------
machines don't win races, muscles do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of trying to go to this ever since it was announced.
Having a kid in college with no financial aid and expensive flights to Richmond from the West Coast have killed that idea.

Hope it works out for the OP.
Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The OP has two kids in college with no financial aid and understands your pain ;) No plane ticket on my end though, just a 15 hr drive...which is a small price to pay for such an exclusive event that will probably never be within driving distance again for me. Good luck and hope you can find a way to make it happen. I did have a hand full of friends planning to go when announced but reality/life/family ended up taking them all out already so I'm going to solo it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at chesterfield hotels. Might be cheaper, more availability and not too far of a drive. Plus close to nice pool.
Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [Will132] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be driving up from VA Beach, any recommendations on where to spectate?

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't figured that out yet. Libby hill is what I was thinking for some. There should be plenty of good areas to watch, parking might be the deciding factor.
Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be driving down from NoVA for at least one day and was wondering the same thing--we need some local knowledge about good spectating spots for the different days (like TT and road race).
Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From Libbie Hill you will get a great shot as they fight for position on a grinder coming off the river before turning onto the narrow cobbled switchbacks. Then if you have a bike you can get over to 23rd and see that climb. The is ZERO chance of parking anywhere near that area so bring a bike, there is great urban mtb trails in the James River Park system as well.

The turn off the descent is tight, that would be cool to see Sagan rail at 40mph. It is going to be SO good.
Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be sure to check the latest course maps. They've made some changes, eg, TT will now start at Ginter Botanical instead of Rockett's Landing.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: travel plans/lodging for Richmond UCI World champs [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am hoping to go as well, driving down from NYC.
I'll definitely bring my bike.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply