Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"?
Quote | Reply
My first Ironman was CdA in 2005. I purchased my event bike jersey the morning after the race, and have worn in on the regular for training rides. It's not quite a piece of armor, but you sure feel like you can ride a little harder and longer when you know that you would be embarrassing yourself wearing earned race kit.

Race kit is always fun to have. What's the rule on replacing it? The zipper on this particular jersey gave up on me during a training ride the other day. Is it "cool" to buy a new CdA jersey, despite not racing the event last year? Or do I treat this as "a nice memory" whose time has come, and it's time to retire the jersey and there is no replacing it?

This is a semi-serious question (though I appreciate it is likely to incite snark and humor alike), and I want to avoid offending the racing-gods. I have too many races this year...don't want to anger the karma kittens. Did I just step on the "your not allowed to get an m dot logo unless you race Kona" land mine?

What say you Slowtwitch hoi polloi?
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [watson79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to buy something else...or just do the event again if it really matters all that much.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one cares about any event you entered and completed except you..
So if you want to wear it for you then go for it......

If however its so thread bare that you can about see through it, folks would justifiably think you to be clinging onto the past...

Your call..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never wear a "Finisher's" jersey or shirt from a race I didn't do. That being said, I've gotten a few "participant" shirts for races that I was unable to participate in due to injury. For the shirts that are high quality, I'll wear them around the house or train in them.

That being said, I think you should retire your jersey and do the race again to "earn" a replacement. Bonus points if you PR the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the material is still good, just get the zipper replaced. That will likely cost you less than $10 at a tailor. If it can't be replaced due to the quality of the material, then yup time to say good bye.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [CJ_Dungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJ_Dungan wrote:
I would never wear a "Finisher's" jersey or shirt from a race I didn't do. That being said, I've gotten a few "participant" shirts for races that I was unable to participate in due to injury. For the shirts that are high quality, I'll wear them around the house or train in them.

That being said, I think you should retire your jersey and do the race again to "earn" a replacement. Bonus points if you PR the race.

+1 but perhaps target a 70.3 or shorter race if you don't have the Ironman ambition in you any longer. OR, pick a grandfondo, century, cycling club etc. All of them have nice kits and are worth while.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I saw someone wearing a 10 year old race jersey, my first thought would be "haven't they done anything since then?"

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would only offend the racing gods if you were to go and get hold of a finisher's shirt from a race you didn't do. Buying an event jersey that is available to anybody who wants to pay for it isn't really a problem, but it is a little strange since it doesn't really mean anything. Don't think I've ever actually bought an event jersey as they've always seemed over-priced to me for the quality of jersey you're getting. Don't see why I should be paying extra $$$ to advertise their event, though I'll happily wear the free finisher's t-shirt if it's of nice enough quality for training in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have the right to marry whomever you want (well, not siblings or children), wear whatever jersey you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screw it. I ride in bib only -- no need for jerseys.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redcorvette wrote:
If I saw someone wearing a 10 year old race jersey, my first thought would be "haven't they done anything since then?"

Mark

Nah, wearing 10 year old kit is fine if it's still comfortable and decent. I have a big trunk that basically contains every bit of kit I've ever acquired that hasn't been worn out. I still have a couple of rowing tops from the mid-90s, I don't wear them to announce to the world that in 1997 I was in a particular rowing crew, I wear them because they still do a good job as training kit.

These days I try to avoid doing too many events with finishers t-shirts, I pretty much have a lifetime supply of them already and I hate throwing out useful stuff...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "rule" is, "I don't give a fuck what others think". At least that's my rule. Personally I don't wear kit that I haven't "earned". Having said that, there are many ways to earn things. I have a 20 to 30 year old System U jersey that I'll wear. Rode around a lot of France on a 2 week cycling tour with it on my back so I figure I earned that one.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I have a jersey that reads "Old Guy that gets fat during the winter." I can't find a replacement for it and I've lost weight and kept it off so I don't know that I've earned it. Seriously, dude, there are a lot more important things to worry about than what someone thinks of you riding in an "unearned" jersey. Wear what you want. If someone asks whether you actually did the particular race, tell them, "No, I did an earlier one but thanks for asking."
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [CJ_Dungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJ_Dungan wrote:
I would never wear a "Finisher's" jersey or shirt from a race I didn't do.

Haha. I do that all the time!
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy panhandling yesterday wearing an Ironman Florida 2005 finisher's t-shirt. I asked him if he did the race. He said no, and seemed a bit confused. I explained to him that the shirt was given to a finisher of an Ironman triathlon. Then it took a while to explain what a triathlon was and what Ironman distances were. Then I said, "how can you wear that when you didn't do the race, it doesn't mean anything." He said, "the shelter said I had to put on a clean shirt and they gave me this." Some people just don't get it.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha. Funny. Reminds me of one time I was lifting at golds gym. I spotted a troop 362 yellow t-shirt across the room our shirt was unique. Being from va beach we had a surfer on it. So I assumed he had a connection to my old troop despite seeing this person at a gold's gym in Orlando florida. I asked him and he said he got it at a thrift shop.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever the conventional wisdom is on how old a selfie can be for your social networks profile pictures, that rule should apply here.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing like a 6 month old post suddenly getting traction. This response literally had me laughing out loud. So good.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I saw a guy panhandling yesterday wearing an Ironman Florida 2005 finisher's t-shirt. I asked him if he did the race. He said no, and seemed a bit confused. I explained to him that the shirt was given to a finisher of an Ironman triathlon. Then it took a while to explain what a triathlon was and what Ironman distances were. Then I said, "how can you wear that when you didn't do the race, it doesn't mean anything." He said, "the shelter said I had to put on a clean shirt and they gave me this." Some people just don't get it.

That's it...I'm taking the bazillion finisher shirts I have in storage and donating to the local homeless shelter, just to piss off everyone. That said, there's a homeless guy at the freeway off ramp nearby who is absolutely shredded...like f*ck this 12 hours a week training, I need to do his program.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [K-DUB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
K-DUB wrote:
That said, there's a homeless guy at the freeway off ramp nearby who is absolutely shredded...like f*ck this 12 hours a week training, I need to do his program.

Actually, that guy is a long distance pro. I think he posts here occasionally.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your old jersey could make for a nice mounted display for you in your pain cave. The only rule Incan think of regarding a replacement is get one that fits with the least amount of shoulder wrinkles.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
I feel your pain. I have a jersey that reads "Old Guy that gets fat during the winter." I can't find a replacement for it and I've lost weight and kept it off so I don't know that I've earned it.

Looks like your prayers have been answered.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacing old race jerseys - what's the "rule"? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Redcorvette wrote:

Mark

Nah, wearing 10 year old kit is fine if it's still comfortable and decent. I have a big trunk that basically contains every bit of kit I've ever acquired that hasn't been worn out. I still have a couple of rowing tops from the mid-90s, I don't wear them to announce to the world that in 1997 I was in a particular rowing crew, I wear them because they still do a good job as training kit.

These days I try to avoid doing too many events with finishers t-shirts, I pretty much have a lifetime supply of them already and I hate throwing out useful stuff...

I'm with you on old kit, if it still does the job I'll wear it. I get through bib shorts quite quickly but I find jerseys just get baggier with every wash giving me the illusion I'm loosing weight! I've managed to avoid buying kit for a few years by running down my supply of old teams kits and even some uni cycling club kit. I have some really old jackets and gilets as it's a bit hard to justify spending cash on new ones when they work fine and it's not like I wear them often.

I don't wear event stuff unless it's a simple cotton T then I may add it to the workshop collection for wearing when doing mucky jobs or to cut up into rags.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have it all wrong, when you do a race you take the finisher shirt and throw it in a drawer.

You can take it out no less than 11 years later to wear. Anything else labels you as a wet behind the ears rube.
Quote Reply