Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just increase/decrease the workout percentage depending on what my body is telling me that day. I always do everything possible before hitting the - button including suffering for a bit first to see if it's just mental. There are however days where your legs are just blitzed from a tough run earlier in the day or from the day before. Similarly I always wait until 1 interval is complete to hit the + button as well.

I don't believe these subtle changes are anything other than a better sleep or meal plan that day. For this reason I'd never forego the FTP testing protocol every 6th week. I ensure it is repeatable and as scientific as possible within reason (I'm not running a test lab) to ensure it's tailored for me. Call me crazy but I really enjoy the buildup to getting on and doing the test and celebrating the results, good or bad afterwards.

I know a lot of people who don't do FTP testing and I usually attribute it to

1. They are not detail oriented people, so creating a repeatable protocol for the 24 hours leading up to the test is a nuisance
2. They are "by feel" riders who don't care about power figures
3. They have some other personal method to get their numbers
4. They dread a really hard session on the bike

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"As long as you have some hard longer and hard shorter efforts it will figure out your FTP close enough. "

hard being defined as, 99%+

It is of course up to the user to understand the context of their training. If you can't do that, probably you don't need to worry about your FTP anyway.

Trev wrote:
One man's hard is another man's not so hard. The software can only use the data put into it. The software does not know how hard the athlete was trying. It will estimate FTP based on the data it sees regardless of how motivated the athlete was.

You need some verification of what constitutes a hard effort.

The software could easily estimate FTP as decreased based on the fact you were not trying as hard this month as you were last month.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
One man's hard is another man's not so hard. The software can only use the data put into it. The software does not know how hard the athlete was trying. It will estimate FTP based on the data it sees regardless of how motivated the athlete was.

This.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I just increase/decrease the workout percentage depending on what my body is telling me that day. I always do everything possible before hitting the - button including suffering for a bit first to see if it's just mental. There are however days where your legs are just blitzed from a tough run earlier in the day or from the day before. Similarly I always wait until 1 interval is complete to hit the + button as well.

I don't believe these subtle changes are anything other than a better sleep or meal plan that day. For this reason I'd never forego the FTP testing protocol every 6th week. I ensure it is repeatable and as scientific as possible within reason (I'm not running a test lab) to ensure it's tailored for me. Call me crazy but I really enjoy the buildup to getting on and doing the test and celebrating the results, good or bad afterwards.

1. They are not detail oriented people, so creating a repeatable protocol for the 24 hours leading up to the test is a nuisance

5. They can't handle the truth.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I don't believe these subtle changes are anything other than a better sleep or meal plan that day.
I agree. I can see big flucuations from day to day just based on my lack of sleep (newborn in the house).

cshowe80 wrote:
I ensure it is repeatable and as scientific as possible within reason (I'm not running a test lab) to ensure it's tailored for me.
I fall in to this camp. I do my tests on the same stretch of road, at the same time of day, with the same amount of prep and try to keep my diet consistent.

But, I admit, I don't do them as often as I should.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those sufferfest videos are pretty tough so you are probably ok with what you are doing. Like someone else said. Be honest with yourself. Your plan seems pretty solid because you are incorprating some high IF 1 hour workouts to see where you are at. I would caution this plan generically because if someone were just base building they could be just pushing themselves up into a tempo zone and hurting their overall planning.

I don't test real often but I will adjust based on hard efforts. I just did a 60 minute effort with NP 10 watts under FTP and I was able to sprint in the last 30 seconds. Based on this I bumped my FTP up a little. I find if I do allot of high IF workouts it is pretty clear when my FTP has risen.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
"As long as you have some hard longer and hard shorter efforts it will figure out your FTP close enough. "

It is of course up to the user to understand the context of their training. If you can't do that, probably you don't need to worry about your FTP anyway.

Trev wrote:

The software could easily estimate FTP as decreased based on the fact you were not trying as hard this month as you were last month.

So it will figure out your FTP provided you do near enough an all out effort. But how does the software know if the data was from a 100% effort, 99% effort or a 90% effort?

For that matter how do you know it was a 99% effort? I suppose when you look at the data you could write down a numner using a biro in a note book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Trev wrote:

So it will figure out your FTP provided you do near enough an all out effort. But how does the software know if the data was from a 100% effort, 99% effort or a 90% effort?

For that matter how do you know it was a 99% effort? I suppose when you look at the data you could write down a numner using a biro in a note book.

Well how about using a maximum 1 hr effort to determine FTP? How do you know it was maximum, or was it simply 98% effort? The fact is that all of your concerns are present for any good method to determine FTP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you don't know if you have just done a 100% effort for a given duration you can never know your FTP by any method available.

The software does not know, you have to do provide it with the data. That data need not come from a formal test. Whether you do a formal test or not, you need to know how to go 100%. such is life.

I have been able to predict 1 hour power to within 3 watts without formally testing it for myself and others. It isn't a big deal. I don't even use the software I just eyeball it.

It doesn't make sense to get hung up over 2-3 watts of accuracy on a thing that will vary 2-3 watts on a given day anyway.

Trev wrote:

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fortunately, if you select an estimated FTP value and it's too optimistic, you'll fail a lot of workouts pretty quickly and if you are smart - self correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Trev wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Trev wrote:

Well how about using a maximum 1 hr effort to determine FTP? How do you know it was maximum, or was it simply 98% effort? The fact is that all of your concerns are present for any good method to determine FTP.

That is precisely my point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think some of these guys are missing what the 2nd "M" stands for in MMP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what your training zones are... I would do a 2x20 @ FTP (trainerroad "Gray") once in a while and that will tell you the truth.

EnderWiggan wrote:
Rather than do FTP tests, over the last few months I've been adding 5 ftp every 2-3 weeks....and it seems to be working really well via trainerroad. My protocol has been to add 5 FTP if I break records during two consecutive interval sessions which is usually in the 2-3 week window. For example, if my 10 minute power record jumps from X to X+5, and during the next interval workout that week my 2 minute power jumps from X to X+7 etc.

I was wondering if anyone else uses this method? and what your window for increase is? (i.e. every 10 days, 3 weeks etc.)

I haven't hit a road block yet where I can't complete the workout after an FTP increase but this may be due to the fact that I'm not running at the moment and focusing on biking for the first time in awhile.

Ender
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Trev wrote:

That is precisely my point.

Oh are you the guy who just trolls about using power all the time?

Sounds to me that if you do your FTP test at 95% of your max effort, then you're not doing your FTP test correctly. Don't blame the software, blame your weak and feeble constitution. Or turn your music up.

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chri55 wrote:
cshowe80 wrote:

6. Frequently race TT's so there's no need to test
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad FTP Inflation... [JulianM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JulianM wrote:
Chri55 wrote:
cshowe80 wrote:

6. Frequently race TT's so there's no need to test

PPP: "Training is testing and testing is training."
Quote Reply

Prev Next