Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

anyone other than Joel Friel writing about health and fitness in the Baby Boomer set?
Quote | Reply
I have Joel Friel's Fast after 50 book. It's a great resource, but is focused on maintaining endurance training at a high level. Is anyone else writing about general health and fitness in the 60+ age group?

Based on my family's personal experience, it's very clear that the weight room and LCHF diet are instrumental in staying strong, lean and healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: anyone other than Joel Friel writing about health and fitness in the Baby Boomer set? [jjzonvil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. My friend Peter Reaburn. Better than Friel's stuff in my opinion (many think that's not a very high bar, but still).
http://www.mastersathlete.com.au/about-us/

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: anyone other than Joel Friel writing about health and fitness in the Baby Boomer set? [jjzonvil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ageless Athlete Series,

Swimming Past 50, Cycling Past 50, Running, weightifting, tennis and fitness as well.

Swimming past 50 is a little old but was a popular title.

Mastering Swimming by Jim Montgomery might have some of what you want.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjzonvil wrote:
I have Joel Friel's Fast after 50 book. It's a great resource, but is focused on maintaining endurance training at a high level. Is anyone else writing about general health and fitness in the 60+ age group?

Based on my family's personal experience, it's very clear that the weight room and LCHF diet are instrumental in staying strong, lean and healthy.

So far no weight room or any type of diet and doing great.

This topic just seems so so easy. Keep moving. Everyday. Eat responsibly. But I guess many need to make money on trying to tell folks how to do this, which really is so simple.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: anyone other than Joel Friel writing about health and fitness in the Baby Boomer set? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be SIMPLE but it's not that easy. Otherwise, most everyone would be in great shape after 50, which is not the case. I am turning 60 this year. I have been working out steadily, more or less, for 39 years. Mostly weight lifting and running, and more recently cycling and swimming added to the mix. The advances in sports medicine in the past few years have simply been amazing. From the 70's to today things have changed tremendously. Now you can say, well, what's so different since the caveman ran down his prey. And to a certain extent, that's true, one foot in front of the other, repeat. But you can also say that the advances in sports medicine have radically changed our training regimes, especially where "masters" are concerned. I don't even vaguely resemble my relatives from the sixties, who were then my current age. The DNA was the same, but the environment and training/ lifestyle was totally different. I attribute that to a healthy, active lifestyle (courtesy of the USMC) and then getting into the triathlon scene later in life. I consider myself very fortunate to be alive and healthy at 59, but also invested in a lot of sweat equity to make that so.

The "periodization" training principles from eastern Europe changed everything. Joel Friel, among others, has recognized this and bases his training principles and programs on them. I think his book on the over 50 crowd is a gem for those of us who are looking for guidance in applying these principles to our training programs, with some tweaks to account for our age. Trust me, it IS different each decade.
Quote Reply