Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelset - 10sp vs 11sp compatability
Quote | Reply
Seems that most newer drive trains come 11 speed. Or, at the very least, on my Blue the Sram Force is for certain an 11 speed, which is apparently making the purchase of race wheels a bit of a challenge. Can anyone shed any light on whether or not there is an easy fix? Is it possible to find used race wheels that are 11 speed compatible? I realize that buying new makes it entirely possible, but I think that's my other hurdle. Trying to find something at a decent price that is 11speed.

thanks for any insight
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset - 10sp vs 11sp compatability [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Select Hed wheelsets can be converted from 10 to 11 going back a couple of years. If you research you can get the details, but the conversion does not require relacing:

https://www.hedcycling.com/news/11-speed%20Hub%20Conversion

Older-style spoke wheels (Jet, Stinger, Ardennes, etc) are all convertible to 11-speed. Please refer to our hub chart (above) to find out which specific model year of hub you have, and give us a call to purchase an 11-speed kit. In most cases, the rear wheel will need to be re-dished by a small amount. Newer H3's can be converted to 11-speed with our H3 conversion kit. Older H3's cannot be converted – please call us to confirm which style you have.
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset - 10sp vs 11sp compatability [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mavic Aksium and Ksyrium. Crappy wheels, but Shimano 11 speed capable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pre 2012 set of boyd wheels I just ordered a 11 speed free hub to convert to 11 speed. $35?
Jeff

You can't fix stupid ..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any older existing 8/9/10 speed wheelset can be made to work flawlessly with an 11-speed drivetrain, at least for shimano cassettes. But there is a tiny trick to it. I wrote up details of exactly how to do it right here:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog.htm

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah they're out there. I bought a used FLO 60/90 11-speed wheelset on eBay ($650 shipped) last fall. There recently was a 60/60 set on there for $700+$50 shipping. Keep checking as they always show up. Check the ST classifieds too.

And as stated above, even if you buy a 10 spd wheel the freehub often can be changed. $35 for the FLO freehub if its a 10 spd.

<We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak>
Last edited by: dmacandcheese: Jan 26, 15 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Seems that most newer drive trains come 11 speed. Or, at the very least, on my Blue the Sram Force is for certain an 11 speed, which is apparently making the purchase of race wheels a bit of a challenge. Can anyone shed any light on whether or not there is an easy fix? Is it possible to find used race wheels that are 11 speed compatible? I realize that buying new makes it entirely possible, but I think that's my other hurdle. Trying to find something at a decent price that is 11speed.

thanks for any insight

To be truly 11 speed compatible some wheels need to be re-laced and others simply need a new free hub. It really comes down to the wheel you are trying to convert.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get something with a Campy freehub and run 11-speed Campy cassettes... that should be compatible with 11-speed SRAM/Shimano (according to Zinn).
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/bikes-and-tech/drivetrain-compatibility-hidden-in-plain-sight_303199

I haven't tested, but I'm hoping it's true since I have a spare Campy freehub body for my spanky new Corima wheels and when I move everything to 11-speed that's my plan.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply