Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Using Supplements During Training [EnduroPacksTeam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The FDA regulates our products and the supplement industry.

While the FDA does have the responsibility to regulate the supplement industry, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act has effectively nullified their ability to do so. By and large the dietary supplements industry is self-regulated. Based on the recent case of Gary Null and studies regarding the purity of dietary supplements I'd say this model is not very effective. Check out the FDA's FAQ on the matter.

Quote:
If the fact that BVO is illegal to add in food products in OVER 100 countries isn't enough for you, here is a link to a great article with a number of links to peer-reviewed studies within the article for you to read for yourself.

1) Gatorade and Powerade don't use BVO. So what bearing does it have on this argument?
2) You claimed Gatorade could reduced performance. I want evidence to that effect. Many isolated and concentrated substances can reduce athletic performance. Pure water in too high a does will reduce performance as well.
3) The fact that 100 countries banned a substance is not enough for me (argumentum ad populum). What I want is evidence. The article you linked to does not supply evidence rather it reports on some people who think the question needs to be re-examined. Great! Re-examine it. I'm all for more information. But until there is new, better evidence indicating that it is unsafe in the levels normally consumed then there is no reason to be concerned about it.

What you claimed was that SelenoPure was a highly bioavailable form of selenium. You haven't provided evidence for this. Has your claim been studied? I'm not arguing that Se is an important nutrient for humans... especially "subjects with relatively low plasma selenium concentrations" in the first place.

Quote:
Our goal for posting on here was to get feedback from athletes on why they take or don't take supplements. It is your choice to engage or not engage with your opinion on this topic. We appreciate and respect everyones opinions and thoughts.

By now it is obvious that I have made the choice to engage with not just my opinion but also with facts and science. My hope is that readers will consider the facts that I am attempting to provide and set aside any opinions EnduroPacks or I may present.

Facebook and Strava
Last edited by: SwimGreg3: Jan 28, 15 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [SwimGreg3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimGreg3 wrote:
Quote:
The FDA regulates our products and the supplement industry.

While the FDA does have the responsibility to regulate the supplement industry, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act has effectively nullified their ability to do so. By and large the dietary supplements industry is self-regulated. Based on the recent case of Gary Null and studies regarding the purity of dietary supplements I'd say this model is not very effective. Check out the FDA's FAQ on the matter.

Quote:
If the fact that BVO is illegal to add in food products in OVER 100 countries isn't enough for you, here is a link to a great article with a number of links to peer-reviewed studies within the article for you to read for yourself.

1) Gatorade and Powerade don't use BVO. So what bearing does it have on this argument?
2) You claimed Gatorade could reduced performance. I want evidence to that effect. Many isolated and concentrated substances can reduce athletic performance. Pure water in too high a does will reduce performance as well.
3) The fact that 100 countries banned a substance is not enough for me (argumentum ad populum). What I want is evidence. The article you linked to does not supply evidence rather it reports on some people who think the question needs to be re-examined. Great! Re-examine it. I'm all for more information. But until there is new, better evidence indicating that it is unsafe in the levels normally consumed then there is no reason to be concerned about it.

What you claimed was that SelenoPure was a highly bioavailable form of selenium. You haven't provided evidence for this. Has your claim been studied? I'm not arguing that Se is an important nutrient for humans... especially "subjects with relatively low plasma selenium concentrations" in the first place.

Quote:
Our goal for posting on here was to get feedback from athletes on why they take or don't take supplements. It is your choice to engage or not engage with your opinion on this topic. We appreciate and respect everyones opinions and thoughts.

By now it is obvious that I have made the choice to engage with not just my opinion but also with facts and science. My hope is that readers will consider the facts that I am attempting to provide and set aside any opinions EnduroPacks or I may present.

Bumping because good science based arguments often go ignored and they shouldn't be.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Liaman wrote:
pk1 wrote:

what i'd like to see in sports nutrition is transparency - honest simple ingredients with straightforward scientifically backed benefits, less marketing speak

Have a look at OTE's stuff, its the only stuff I'll buy for exactly those reasons.

You eat Greek telephones?

I had to Google that :D
Bravo
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [EnduroPacksTeam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your "Amino-Acid" Patches are complete bunk based solely on a Pharmacokinetic/drug absorption and dosage front. Do you honestly think, and have data to back it up, that a small surface area patch can adequately deliver physiological relevant amounts of 9 amino acids in your recommended 4-8 hour application. I won't bother with discussing the ability of charged molecule (the acid arm of AA are charged of physiological pH) to penetrate the stratum corneum because even if your patch delivered 100% of the contained drug you are only deilvering a total of about 700mg if AA total, a useless amount.
Quote Reply
Re: Using Supplements During Training [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npage148 wrote:
Your "Amino-Acid" Patches are complete bunk based solely on a Pharmacokinetic/drug absorption and dosage front. Do you honestly think, and have data to back it up, that a small surface area patch can adequately deliver physiological relevant amounts of 9 amino acids in your recommended 4-8 hour application. I won't bother with discussing the ability of charged molecule (the acid arm of AA are charged of physiological pH) to penetrate the stratum corneum because even if your patch delivered 100% of the contained drug you are only deilvering a total of about 700mg if AA total, a useless amount.

Pfffft! Youre assuming that bilogists, chemists, and mathematicians arent conspiring along wirh big parma against the supplement industry.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply

Prev Next