Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete
Quote | Reply
Hello. So my wife is taking up running with the intent of participating in OLY or HIM distance tris. Not sure she'll embrace the triathlon events, but she's running 10Ks and half marathons. For xmas I want to buy her a GPS type watch with HR monitor. I own the 910XT, but I think thats too advanced for her activities.

Any recommendations on watches for a beginner endurance athlete? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [jasatucla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jasatucla wrote:
Hello. So my wife is taking up running with the intent of participating in OLY or HIM distance tris. Not sure she'll embrace the triathlon events, but she's running 10Ks and half marathons. For xmas I want to buy her a GPS type watch with HR monitor. I own the 910XT, but I think thats too advanced for her activities.

Any recommendations on watches for a beginner endurance athlete? Thanks.

This would be kinda hard to beat. http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/...PM0sICFRBo7Aod5BkAuQ

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would steer you towards the Garmin 220. Smaller footprint and the Bluetooth upload is enough of a reason to throw all your old Garmin devices in the trash and never have to deal with the stupid Ant+ upload stick ever again.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Garmin Forerunner 220 (for running) - love mine. Also, the less-expensive Forerunner 15 may suffice. For multi-sport, however, I'd start with 310xt (better cycling functionality, handlebar quick-release kit, etc.).
Last edited by: Brushman: Dec 19, 14 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Gamin 220 ... I love mine and use it as my day to day watch as well. works like a charm!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id recommend the Garmin 310xt ...does most of what the 910xt does but without all the swim metrics , Im well happy with mine they can be had for a good price now and if and when she decides to tri a standard/HIM it will grow with her :) like the 910 there's no denying your running with a computer on your wrist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too advanced? Don't you mean you don't want her to have a watch that's better than yours? I would back her intentions and get her a 920. If she doesn't end up using it I guess you could ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
Too advanced? Don't you mean you don't want her to have a watch that's better than yours? I would back her intentions and get her a 920. If she doesn't end up using it I guess you could ;)

Buy her a real watch. Shove the Garmins up your arse where they belong and let the woman enjoy training.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
sharkbait_au wrote:

Buy her a real watch. Shove the Garmins up your arse where they belong and let the woman enjoy training.

By the tone of your post it appears thats where your garmin is
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
Shove the Garmins up your arse where they belong and let the woman enjoy training.
Just remember to make sure vibrate is enabled before you do. It's quite tricky trying to enable it after the fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the 220
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She doesn't need a watch that badly. She needs a bike fit, swim coach, running gait analysis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Watch for new endurance athlete [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow. what a nice price. i still haven't gotten a watch. well, last year i got 2 timex watches off Ebay for $10USD and now i can time my runs.

i do sprint to IM and have been for 4 years. i have only 1 road to run and 1 road to bike. i go different distances depending on how many laps/where i turn around. could this watch be of any benefit? i mean it sounds really cool to know what pace you're going, but what do you do with that? loving this price but not sure i really nice such a fancy watch.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply