Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HIM Syracuse Preview
Quote | Reply
I just saw that there is a preview of the IM SYR 70.3 course in April. Looks like a single loop of run course. It's called Springtime10k (CNYSpringtime10k.com). Can't decide if I want to make the trip or not. But would be nice to get on that hill to see if it is as bad as everyone says.

If I do pull the trigger, any one else wanna join?
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Syracuse Preview [IM4EV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was about 210lbs at the time, injured (meniscus problems) and hate running

the hill was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Syracuse and will be doing the race.

The hill is as bad as it is made out to be.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
absolute worst. enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I would've known about that hill before my race. I feel like if I would've been able to run it a few months before I would've been able to mentally prepare and charge it during the 70.3, rather than giving up and walking up it.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Syracuse Preview [tmoyer984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tmoyer984 wrote:
I wish I would've known about that hill before my race. I feel like if I would've been able to run it a few months before I would've been able to mentally prepare and charge it during the 70.3, rather than giving up and walking up it.

Up was fine. Down did me in. The quads could not take the pounding. I just about face planted before I got stopped and started walking.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Syracuse Preview [tmoyer984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tmoyer984 wrote:

Me too. I was in a 70.3 WC qualifying position starting the run and that hill destroyed me on the first lap and wound up running a 1:56 or something. I knew there was a hill on the course from looking at the run course profile on the website. The profile makes the hill look a lot less steep than it really is and it was far more difficult than I imagined. Pretty much one mile up and one mile down. Much of it at a 6-9% grade. Done twice.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Syracuse Preview [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just stupid.
Might give it a try next year.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Syracuse Preview [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the thing you think the hill is over but then you make the right turn and urg another half mile?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it cant be that hard if sanders can run a 1:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the run course is a bitch. It's not just the hill itself - it's the hill in combination with the heat, the aid stations that are far apart after the transition area going towards the hill, etc. I did it last year and will go back in 2015, lesson learned for me will be to bring my hydration belt.

Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Here's the thing you think the hill is over but then you make the right turn and urg another half mile?

While that stretch after the turn is shorter than the first part of the hill... it's steeper. I'll be back for some hopeful redemption this year.

Quote Reply
Re: HIM Syracuse Preview [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
espejo09 wrote:
it cant be that hard if sanders can run a 1:09

His run was so ridiculous that I started a thread about it: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rum.cgi?post=5138941

I love Rapp's comment:
Rappstar wrote:
I will say that I think it might be the best ever pure run performance in a 70.3 race. That course is absurd. It has about 100m less net elevation than St. George, but it all comes at once. St. George is easier to get into a rhythm, both uphill and downhill. That course - Syracuse - you have to grind the uphill and then maintain really, really fast turnover on the downhill. St. George was also short; Syracuse MIGHT be short, but if so, not by much. I started my watch late, and I got closer to an accurate 21.1 than in St. George, which was clearly almost 1km short.

When I saw how fast Lionel ran, I was honestly in disbelief. He passed me on the flats, where it's easier to motor. I almost wished I'd gotten to see him run up and down the big hill, but he was basically gone by the time I got there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hill is rough, I think it is one of the toughest HIM run courses I have done. I blew up on the run in 2013, mostly because of failure to adequately fuel and hydrate in 95 degree heat and high humidity, but the hill did not help. I redeemed myself in 2014 and ran my second fastest run split ever. I made better choices with my nutrition, but I think having done the course before and knowing the best way to pace myself on the hills was definitely helpful. It is never a bad idea to familiarize yourself with the race course.

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1