Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence
Quote | Reply
I just received confirmation from TrainerRoad's tech support that my Tacx Satori Smart trainer is not able to send a cadence signal that is "read-able" by TrainerRoad's iOS app.

I bought this particular trainer on the premise that it would broadcast power, cadence and speed (whatever) via BTLE and ANT+.

I am using a latest gen iPad as a display unit and would prefer to avoid any dongles (or laptop).

All three metrics (power, speed and cadence) display perfectly on the Tacx Cycling App (an abomination of an app, but I digress), so I know:
  1. the trainer is working as intended and
  2. the iPad is picking up the correct signals via BTLE.

Does anyone here have this app/hardware combination?
Have you been able to display cadence?

-----
coming soon...
Last edited by: alex_m: Dec 13, 14 18:09
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence [alex_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately we cannot pick up cadence from this trainer, you will need a different sensor. However, you can pair to the trainer as a power meter and ride with it. Is this what you were already doing?

Sorry about the confusion there with the cadence, I know that can be frustrating when you get a trainer for specific reasons and then find out it won't work as planned.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trevor DeRuise wrote:
Unfortunately we cannot pick up cadence from this trainer, you will need a different sensor. However, you can pair to the trainer as a power meter and ride with it. Is this what you were already doing?

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the quick response.
This is indeed what I'm a currently doing... and it is working perfectly.

I just wish I could get cadence without going to a third party solution.
I'm trying to limit the number of sensors/dongles/zip ties etc.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence [alex_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Alex_m
Thinking of getting the Satori Smart, but two quick questions;
How sturdy does the frame seem to be in general, plus with sprinting?
Also, my fear with the lever positions is that my perfect power/cadence combo will be between settings.
Thoughts?
Last edited by: arca_tern: Dec 14, 14 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence [arca_tern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recommend it wholeheartedly.
I'm 175 lbs and have no issues with short sprints (ex: 10 sec. at 700+ Watts).
I have left the lever at resistance level "1" (of 10). In this position, I am not able to push a 53x11 for anything more than 5 minutes.
Unless you are aiming to turn PRO, the resistance levels will not be an issue. If you are worried about "perfect cadence", I would recommend a straight block 11-21 (22) rear cassette.
I run a 12-25 with no issues.
Hope this helps.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried cadence on desktop? Talking with the guys, it sounds like it should work there and it is on our to-do list for iOS.

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Trevor.
Have not tried, since that would require a BT/USB dongle - which I don't own nor plan on buying.
I want my setup to be as KISS as possible - via iPad.
But thanks for following up and let me know when this option becomes available for iOS.

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Trevor,

I just tried using my new Tacx Satori Smart with Trainer Road. For some reason, I couldn't get 'power' to transmit to Trainer Road. I could get Speed and Cadence to Connect via Bluetooth (...unlike Alex), but TR just never 'found' a power device via bluetooth. ...What am I missing?

btw. Trainer Road is great! Well worth the monthly fee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex,

I've got the Tacx Satori Smart too. Trainer road on my mac is able to pick up cadence and speed, but NOT power. Are you able to pair with power? I have to be missing something?

...Oddly enough, once I paired the tacx to my iPhone, I noticed that TR on my mac dropped the speed / cadence pairing. This is odd since both devices are simply receiving signals and shouldn't interfere with one another.

any insights would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, only tried pairing to my iPad.
Do you receive all three metrics in Tacx Cycling App?

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. I get all 3 metrics in the tacx app. Now I just have to figure out how to get that info into trainer road.

Another related note: the resistance on the smart satori feels greater than the regular satori. Have you noticed that too? Even in level 1, I'm pushing 200w at 30km/h.

I have a stages pm at my other house and I'm dying to compare #'s between the two different satori trainers
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad and Tacx Satori Smart - not able to read cadence [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Another related note: the resistance on the smart satori feels greater than the regular satori. Have you noticed that too? Even in level 1, I'm pushing 200w at 30km/h.

Absolutely!
I also had the previous (yellow) Satori. I could cruise in "level 3" for extended intervals before going in the red.
With the Satori Smart, I can't seem to push a 53x12 in "level 1" for more than a few minutes (I'm talking 115% FTP).
I'm thinking of removing the lever from my bars since I can't fathom ever needing anything higher than "level 2".

-----
coming soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about that, guys. Are you connecting it as a trainer under Virtual Power? Make sure that Virtual Power is checked under the "Devices" page of the app and then select the Tacx Satori from the dropdown. Check out this article for some more insight: http://support.trainerroad.com/...Electronic-Trainers-

-Trevor from TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something's off with the resistance.

According to tacx's website (https://www.tacx.com/...s/satori-smart#tab_2) at level 1 resistance, we should be around 100w at 35km/h. This seems pretty consistent with my previous experience with my non-smart satori (same blue color scheme). I would settle in on level 5 for most workouts on the old tacx. ...But this is certainly NOT the case with the smart trainer (even after calibrating with the tacx app). ...It makes me wonder if the resistance adjuster was installed improperly.

I'll likely try and contact Tacx's customer support, but I don't think they have a great reputation for after purchase support.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Trevor,

I know virtual power could be an option, but the new Satori Smart seems to have much higher resistance than older models and I don't think it would end up estimating power with any level of accuracy.

It would be great if the Satori Smart could send it's 'power estimation' straight from the trainer.

As an aside, ...I appreciate your input on this, but I also recognize that it must be pretty tough job to effectively integrate your software with ALL trainers out there! It can't be easy to try to solve all these problems!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As one of the thousands of people who purchased a virtual trainer upgrade kit only to find out that the power numbers were off by 40%, I think you are screwed.

I wouldn't buy a tacx anything with their reputation for knowingly fucking people over.

They sold the fortius for 5 years in the US knowing they had major power unit problems, continued to sell them and didn't tell anyone anything. Then when they produced a fix, you had to pay for it!
Quote Reply