Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Roof Rack Question (Ford Edge 2013)
Quote | Reply
I've got a Ford Edge 2013 and it has the two rails that run from the front of the roof to the back. I think they're called Side Rails. Anyone have a set of crossbars and roof rack for an Edge and can recommend it?

This site appears to have all the options but they seem rich compared to other sites: http://www.etrailer.com/roof-2013_Ford_Edge.htm. The Ford website has a cheap pair of cross rails ($125) but I can't find easy information about whether a Thule bike roof mount will be compatible with it.

I want one that locks.

(I'm set on a roof rack, I have a rear mount that's okay with 1 bike, but I'm fed up of not being able to open the trunk/boot when there's multiple bikes on it. Car doesn't have a hitch either so set on a roof rack)
Quote Reply
Re: Another Roof Rack Question (Ford Edge 2013) [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of Ford's roof rails and racks are made by Thule, IIRC...

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/edge/2013/exterior/racks-carriers.html

As much as it likely pains you, call your local dealer... They's got big margin on these things, will likely give you the best deal, will install them AND they'll be guaranteed...
Quote Reply
Re: Another Roof Rack Question (Ford Edge 2013) [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to take the car in for servicing soon anyway, but they have huge margins making it very expensive. I'd be paying $100+ more than buying from internet and installing myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, dealers make money on accessories, yet they barely sell any... broken business model, IMO, but what can you do...

If you'll install yourself, order online. I'd still call the parts department and ask, you never know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the moonroof so no rails, but use a Thule tower set with aero crossbars on my 2012. Very secure setup for a board, but can't comment on bikes as I use a hitch mount for the bikes

Can't recall what I paid but no where near those ford prices. And installing took 15 minutes (in fact I put it on and take it off all the time)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 26, 14 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This won't necessarily help this OP, but for others it might. I've found that accessories such as roof racks are a good negotiating tool when buying a car. As already mentioned, the goods don't cost the dealer all that much so they will often agree to add and install a roof rack at no charge to close a deal. It doesn't cost them much yet it saves the buyer a decent amount of dollars so everyone feels like a winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Roof Rack Question (Ford Edge 2013) [tcesni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That's a good point. When I got the car I made a mental note to lease one with somewhere to put a rack on it. I should have pushed for the inclusion of the racks. I'll do that next time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won't help you since you already have the side rails...but I have a 2012 Edge Sport (with the panoramic roof) & have a full yakima setup on the top. I routinely carry multiple bikes and/or multiple kayaks. With the bars on I can still vent my roof but cannot open it.

I've only had two issues - thwocked a whitewater boat into a sign at Ikea & bumped my bike saddle into a clearance bar in a local garage. Ikea was no problem for some reason, but the local garage knocked the rack outta whack just enough that all hell broke loose when I got on the interstate the next morning. My QR almost took flight at 80mph as the front towers lost their grip on the door frame. I've never been so thankful for a traffic jam as I was two minutes later.

Moral of the story: if you ever knock something, check the rack a couple of times in the next few days. I checked that night & the next morning but the speed made all the difference.

Other note: get a fairing & prepare for your gas mileage to plummet a bit.

AW
Quote Reply