Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it me or the endless pool
Quote | Reply
So the gym by my office is having a free week for the Holidays so I decided i'd give it a shot.

The main thing that had of interest to me was the endless pool. I tried it out today and it was miserable. I could not hold form, felt my like feet were being dragged down and my head was under a faucet. I am i doing something wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me or the endless pool [Netrepus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not used an endless pool but have used a swim tether. It always makes my feet sink so I use a snorkel. I have heard the same of endless pools.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a little harder to breathe with a tether, and possibly the EP - when you are in still water, your head cuts a tiny wake that makes a little space in which to breathe, I think. W/o forward motion you lose that, and then with the EP I think that little wake is less because of the current.

I am not a fluid mechanics person nor am I an engineer, but that's the best I can figure out for why swimming on a tether is a bit different.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Netrepus wrote:
felt my like feet were being dragged down and my head was under a faucet. I am i doing something wrong?

Are you sure you weren't actually in a locker room sink?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Netrepus wrote:
So the gym by my office is having a free week for the Holidays so I decided i'd give it a shot.

The main thing that had of interest to me was the endless pool. I tried it out today and it was miserable. I could not hold form, felt my like feet were being dragged down and my head was under a faucet. I am i doing something wrong?

I tried one out a few months ago and had none of the issues you mention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at the point where I want to get some video analysis done of my swim stroke. One place that got back to me offered it via an endless pool. I wasn't keen (even though I've never tried one) on the grounds that the chance of someone replicating their exact stroke from a proper swimming pool is unlikely. I can how it'd be easier perhaps for the person doing the analysis.
Quote Reply
Re: Is it me or the endless pool [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
Netrepus wrote:
felt my like feet were being dragged down and my head was under a faucet. I am i doing something wrong?

Are you sure you weren't actually in a locker room sink?

maybe I was with how it felt lol

But really should i alter my swimming to get this to work would be really nice to swim during lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water by your feet isn't moving, or not moving much.

So the normal upward rotational torque exerted on your legs as they angle down ever so slightly is gone. Making them flop around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the EP you get a lot of turbulence, it isn't a smooth stream like a lazy river thing at the recreational pool. So when you are breathing I don't think you will get the bow wave since it is a lot of splashing and frothing. I've done the reverse swim in the lazy river, if I could get one of those set up in my backyard it would be freaking awesome.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply