Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just about convinced myself to go P2M and now you guys are mixing me up. Nick B have you seen the dual vectors new for that price?
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [wahoowatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd buy the P2M powermeter only, use the Black Friday coupon code and you're done.
No pods to worry about, no left side only to throw things off.

The deal offered pushed me over the cliff and I'm sure I'll really enjoy it.
Having run SRMs from 2004 - 2008 and recently having a PT G3 I'm looking forward to running a crank mount PM again not to mention a super clean install which wasn't the case when I had an SRM
Good luck with your decision
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought Vectors back in May. I've swapped them between my wife's bike and mine probably 3-4 times a week since as she's trained for her first Ironman. I'm no bike mechanic and I can do it in just a few minutes. We've had consistent readings and almost no issues. I'm considering buying another pair (S) just so I don't have to swap them anymore. I originally was interested in L/R balance, however I seldom look at it anymore. The few times it's been off it's been consistent to one side or the other for the entire ride which points to a calibration issue. Otherwise it's almost always 49/51, maybe 48/52 on a bad day.

Two thumbs up here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm selling my 808 Powertaps and will be using my Quarq, but am seriously considering selling the Quarq as well to get the Vectors. It would give me more consistent power and allow me to carry around the pedals instead of a crank. Plus I have a couple bikes that don't have power, like my crit-only CAAD 10 beater, and it would be nice to move the vectors around.

Does anyone know if there will be any good sales on the Vectors? I see someone mentioned getting them for $1200? Not interested in the Vector S at all because of the one-sided power.

What does everyone think? I would just hate to give up my Speedplays.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [mountaindood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i purchased the vectors and will be giving up my speedplays after two years. i will let you know in a couple of weeks how much i hate going to single sided pedals and hopefully not have any problems unclipping..lol. note, i had the shimano's 6700's and it was almost impossible to unclipped with the pedals and they were set at the lowest tension.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok now I'm even more confused than when I first started. Leaning towards sacking up and getting the dual vectors now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't waste money on dual vectors, it's only a very minute difference and either way you're increasing power on both legs when your changing your power total so S would still give you a really good idea of pacing. I would not spend 700 to get a barely different power reading personally cause I don't have that kind of money to spend on shit like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Stages on my TT bike and Powertap on my road bike.

IMHO the Stages is excellent - my left leg is slightly weaker than my right so am more than happy with the left side only power. If $$ is an issue and you want a solid product that transmits in both Ant+ and Bluetooth its a great option.

Again just my opinion :)

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a power2max and have been super happy, no problems whatsoever yet still great customer service if I have questions. I like the features and also have confidence if I crashed nothing would happen (buil2resist feature). I think its super accurate ect...
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
I wouldn't waste money on dual vectors, it's only a very minute difference and either way you're increasing power on both legs when your changing your power total so S would still give you a really good idea of pacing. I would not spend 700 to get a barely different power reading personally cause I don't have that kind of money to spend on shit like that.

Any one sided option is a waste of money. It neither accurately measures power of the whole system nor is inexpensive. Single sided units offer less reliable and meaningful data than a heart rate monitor.

Right now the only Power meter players that I consider relevant are Powertap, Quarq, SRM, and the dual sided Garmin Vector. Everything else has some serious flaws or just merely vaporware. No matter how good the promise, I would never wait to be the first one to use a new company's power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

Any one sided option is a waste of money. It neither accurately measures power of the whole system nor is inexpensive. Single sided units offer less reliable and meaningful data than a heart rate monitor.

Right now the only Power meter players that I consider relevant are Powertap, Quarq, SRM, and the dual sided Garmin Vector. Everything else has some serious flaws or just merely vaporware. No matter how good the promise, I would never wait to be the first one to use a new company's power meter.

I agree, but P2M seems pretty solid. As a "retailer" I cannot "recommend" them but everything I've heard is positive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

What's the serious flaw with the Power2max?
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Nick B wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

What's the serious flaw with the Power2max?

Units have often reported to be consistently >2% off in terms of accuracy. That wouldn't be an issue if P2M would let the user adjust the slope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my power2max type S was reading about 2% more vs a powertap wheel which I attribute to drivetrain loss. Against the computrainer, the p2m was spot on.
Last edited by: astig: Nov 26, 14 7:01
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only way to really test the accuracy of a PM is to do a static torque analysis using a verified, known weight (preferably NIST-certified). In the Google Wattage forums, several users have reported large errors during static torque tests on their Power2Max units.

More of a concern, however - is that when they contacted Power2Max about it, Power2Max basically said that they don't trust static torque tests, that they should just trust P2M that their unit is accurate, and there is never a need for a user to change the slope of a power meter anyways. Both SRM and Quarq allow you to adjust the slope of your unit.

If your P2M is accurate, that's great. But if it ever falls out of calibration there's no way to ever get it back on track, short of sending it back to P2M. And even then - it's not comforting to hear that P2M doesn't believe in static torque calibration.

There are several threads in the Google Wattage forums discussing this. I highly recommend people who are interested to join and give them a read; some very good information there.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I touched my vector pedal twice in races this year. Both times in the final corner of a crit (and both times it was the right pedal). A good chunk out of the carbon was removed from the pedal, but the pod was untouched. I haven't had any issues and I crash tested them a couple of times this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can anyone comment what's involved with pairing the P2M to a head unit? I'm thinking about in a triathlon situation, I'll be racing with my garmin 920xt - can the P2M be paired beforehand or does it have to be while on the bike in the race?

Same for the Vectors - heard there is something that lasts for 12 hours otherwise it has to be calibrated every ride. What is exactly involved here in a triathlon race situation?

I am already signed up for 2 70.3s next year which I will need to remove my pedals for to travel to, and although in theory switching pedals can be easy, it's an added headache to deal with on race weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With both, you will pair them once during initial setup and then you'd want to do a quick calibration on the bike. For many PMs, you simply pedal backwards a few turns.

A lot of people report troubles not being able to pair once they get to a race. This is due to the watch being in a state of continual search and not locking onto your particular PM. Just try to find an instance where you can replicate race day with your setup (lots of PMs around) to check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take this fwiw, as I have multiple athletes on both systems.

P2M > Vector

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you pair the device during initial setup. I calibrate when the pm in transition area in the morning. I dont re-calibrate anymore after that.
Quote Reply
Re: Power2Max vs. Garmin Vector vs. Waiting [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. I considered Vectors, Stages ,and ended up with a Power2max. I'm just waiting on my Black Friday computer so I can see how it works.

What made the decision for me was 2 things.

1). The it just works factor, and tons of positive reviews vs some flakey reviews on the vectors

2). I used the opportunity to get a different crank length and mid compact with the power meter and it saved me some money.

PS you can upgrade vector S to full Vector set if you wish.

Jason
Last edited by: Nussy: Nov 28, 14 18:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next