Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

running after ACL repair?
Quote | Reply
Just had an MRI and found out my ACL is completely torn. Will have ACL repair, partial meniscectomy, and osteochondroplasty next week. Would like to know if any of you had similar injury and if you are able to run half or full marathons ever again?? thanx for the advice.
Last edited by: GO: Nov 25, 14 2:37
Quote Reply
Re: running after ACL repair? [GO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 2 ACL repairs in for one leg, the most recent being 3 years ago. I have absolutely no issues on that knee running or cycling. Even marathons. I have to watch what I do strength wise as it's a bit unstable when not moving in a straight line. I also decided to quit all pickup games of soccer, football, frisbee etc that could quickly end my tri season. The reason I had 2 repairs instead of one is because I rushed back into serious swimming right away, so as long as you take your time and do the rehab right you'll be set. Good luck and speedy recovery! Listen to your docs and PTs!!!

http://trainingwheelsrequired.wordpress.com
@KellyNCollier
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5x IM finisher, about the same on stand alone marathons and who knows how many halves. First IM 2002, third ACL reconstruction with bone graft on left knee was 2000. It can be done. It's not the same and I limit lateral direction stuff more out of fear than true instability. Do a lot of trail running and its stable enough there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. ACL and a few other things in 2002. Everything up to and through IM and 50 mile ultra since. That knee gives me fewer problems than the other one, but like the prior poster I also limit explosive non linear activities like basketball. Rehab like a demon when it is allowed and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my ACL replaced with my Patellar tendon about 7 years ago and have had no issues.
I have run PR 5Ks to My First Ironman since than. Just be diligent with the rehab and you should be good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: running after ACL repair? [fratto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started my venture into triathlon in 2012 after tearing out my knee in 2010. I had the hamstring graft for the ACL as well as MCL and meniscus damage. I've never had any issues with the knee when it comes to any sort of triathlon activity, including running up to 70.3 and 13.1 distance. I've never done a marathon or 140.6 but the knee is not an inhibitor in any way.

Like others, I don't really do any other sports anymore. I coach kids soccer so do a bit of soccer stuff, but don't really do much football or basketball anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tore my right ACL in high school 18 years ago, it was repaired with a patella tendon graft. I have completed three IM's, a full marathon, countless half marathons and IM's, also mt. biked, trail ran, water skied, and snow skied on a regular basis for the last 18 years. This year I tore my left ACL snow skiing, it was repaired with a hamstring graft. I am eight months post op and have only been able to run pain free for about a month now. I was able to return to cycling at a high level within four months after surgery. The running caused issues with swelling and tenderness. The furthest I have attempted without issue thus far is a 10k. I too am hesitant about signing up for anyhing more than a sprint tri or 10k for at least another year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tore ACL in July of 2009, had surgery September 2009 (allograft). I tried to start running in November, which was probably a little aggressive. I started out with a minute of "running" and a minute of walking for up to 20 minutes, and then tried to do 2 min on/1 off, 3 on, 4 on, etc. I don't know that doing things differently would have yielded a more positive result, but I ended up having another surgery in March of 2010 and didn't attempt to run again until July. At first, riding was harder than running because I was really having difficulty with range of motion. I started training in July and managed to do IMAZ that November (first IM). Following year (2011) had some decent results for me, including a half marathon PR.

Echoing the sentiments of everyone else, I don't mess around with much else besides swim/bike/run. Not that I played many other sports, but I'm a lot more careful of what I do now. I still don't have good range of motion and I'm sure that's the cause of a lot of my current problems. Was never particularly injury prone before the ACL, now I have a lot of imbalance issues.

Have faith! Not an easy injury to get over and it can be a long, frustrating road back. Focus on positive, only worry about what you can control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had ACL reconstruction 15 years ago, no issues.
Just had a scoping of the same knee last Friday and am already biking as rehab.

The ACL surgery is a BIATCH. Prepare yourself.

I've heard they are much more aggressive on rehab these days, I was on crutches for 8 weeks. It royally sucked.

Quote | Reply
BeachboyWI wrote:
I had ACL reconstruction 15 years ago, no issues.
Just had a scoping of the same knee last Friday and am already biking as rehab.

The ACL surgery is a BIATCH. Prepare yourself.

I've heard they are much more aggressive on rehab these days, I was on crutches for 8 weeks. It royally sucked.

Yeah, much more aggressive. Had surgery on a Friday, at PT the following Monday. Was on crutches about 2 weeks, but mostly for balance after a couple of days-- my foot was on the ground.

No issues with running -- started up 12 weeks post-surgery.
Quote Reply
Re: running after ACL repair? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disagree on rehab. We are on this forum mostly because we like working out. Rehab was great. You get a personal trainer working with you every day making you better. Use them, ask them questions, work hard with your PT and they will look forward to seeing you each week unlike the others there who never embrace the work. Took 6 months to come back but once I was off crutches (torn meniscus) it was great to have someone work me out every week. Still use the skills I learned in PT to keep things working.
Quote Reply
Re: running after ACL repair? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Disagree on rehab. We are on this forum mostly because we like working out. Rehab was great. You get a personal trainer working with you every day making you better. Use them, ask them questions, work hard with your PT and they will look forward to seeing you each week unlike the others there who never embrace the work. Took 6 months to come back but once I was off crutches (torn meniscus) it was great to have someone work me out every week. Still use the skills I learned in PT to keep things working.

This. I didn't have ACL (ruptured Achilles), and I just basically treated it all like having a private coach for almost a year. Do everything they say cheerfully, and + 5%. Came out of it just fine.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: running after ACL repair? [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

Where did I say I didn't like rehab?

I was agreeing with the previous poster that they are much more aggressive in rehabbing you now than when he got his surgery. They start you moving much sooner than they did 15 years ago.

I loved PT. It was great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of previous posts here on ACL injury/recovery. Search the history.

I had my left ACL/MCL repair done in '92 (middle third patellar tendon graft). 12 IM's since including three Kona Quals on it. Many many miles of riding and running. Xterras etc. Even a few Ultras. Just get it done by a qualified surgeon whom gets athletes, and stick to rehab protocol. Be very very patient with your return to full recovery. Like at least a year. You will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: running after ACL repair? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for their advice. Much appreciated. Now I am not so discouraged. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had mine replaced in 2008 with a cadaver. No problems running at all. The only knee pain I have is the knee that I did not have worked on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tore my ACL in April 2006. Surgery in June (allograft cadaver tendon). Was back to playing competitive rugby in November. Lots of biking for rehab, and a TON of time spent strengthening with a C2 rowing machine. Wasn't into any endurance sports until after first rugby "retirement", but I've since run marathons, a few 70.3 and an Ironman. The surgery takes awhile to recover, but if you treat your rehab properly, you'll come out of it in better shape than when you started. Use the time to focus on your upper body and core until you can start running again. Within 8 months-1 year, you should have no concerns about any running, pivoting and cutting limitations will only be in your head at that point, and you should quickly feel comfortable. Good luck.

http://Everydadironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had acl repaired & half my meniscus removed. I run as well now at 38 as I did in high school. I attribute it to a good surgeon & a lot of bike riding/racing to strengthen the muscles around the knee before running again.
Quote Reply