Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sure, it's easier for the fishes. Now. It wasn't always the case. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 50 , and change n career, single, success in SBR sate wise and perhaps top 10 nationally, my 50 hr week and 16 hr SBR training I have no room for a thing. No gf, so play time, must nose to the grindstone eating sleeping training and thinking about the next sprint race in a few weeks and the longer OD or 70.3 in every 6-7 week cycles. After two yrs off swimming the only way I could have a hope in hell it be FOP was to buy a VASA ergo swim trainer. I put the mileage in over the off season just gone for 4 mths every day I build up from setting one to setting 7. Week by week the arms got stronger, week by week the HR flattened out and the power watts grew. Now I have no prob swimming sub 30 for 70.3.
It like my running before I was hit by a car, I was running sub 18:30 in my late forties, post accident my foot is still only 80% right but through SBT , sweet blood and training I can will be close to this again.
My point is this if you want it hard enough you will find a way, I'd rather be on the podium than looking up at the podium wishing I was there. And while I have my physical capacity to do so now I have to remember I just don t want be shuffling around like my old man at 80 not having the energy...fingers crossed its not genetic. Tomorrow I might be in a relationship , heaven forbid and then I know that the dating is only going to suck my time from training. How a college student can do studies, plus train and plus ?? I guess the younger body has its advantages in staying power ' cos sure I need my 8 hrs of sleep...speaking of which...I'm off to bed and closing this ipad down for early SBR sprint of my own in the garage before Sunday sprint race..life goes on!

ericmulk wrote:
gunsbuns wrote:
True - those who learned early usually did a whole lot more (volume and technique) than those who learned late as part of an overall training package for triathlon. But what we hate is that this embedded knowledge and skill can sit dormant for years and years and get resurrected with very little 'fresh' work compared to the poor adult starter who not only (usually) has to train for the other two disciplines but also has to work (longer hours than school), interact with the wife/husband/kids and do a myriad of other bits and pieces. Even doing a whole lot of late in life volume can never really replace that early learning. I think I mentioned on a previous thread that our club coach (Olympic silver medalist coach) said to me that if you miss the bus, then the bus has gone and you can chase it all you want but you'll never catch it. His analogy was that if you don't do the work early in life - and he even stated years for boys and girls - then it's too late to ever really nail you potential. You can be ok, good even, but never the best you could be had you put in the time when young. I really don't know why this seems to be true but when one looks at national and international level, almost every swimmer has a lengthy background at a young age. Many child superstars don't turn into senior superstars, but not many non childhood swimmers make that grade either. Can anyone think of a swimmer who started swimming post 20's - still pretty young - who went on to Wold's or Olympics for a major nation (not counting Tonga etc)?

On top of that, you have to agree that young fishes have it much better than us "learning when older" group. I mean - what a life!. The early fishes got dropped off to pm swim squad, picked up, fed dinner, tucked in at night and read a story, woken up early by mum/dad, fed some vegimite toast, dropped off again to am swimming training, picked up, fed breakfast, dropped to school,.... you get my drift. If you enjoy swimming, this is a pretty good life and pretty easy to take. As an adult learner, we have to manage all the other "stuff" (maybe including doing the above for swimmer kid) as well. So us poor old people who didn't learn this strange skill when young and free now have to cope with all the adult pressures and time constraints, PLUS train for the two other bits of the Tri, PLUS take little Johny or Jenny to squad, PLUS contend with little Johny or Jenny being X much faster and reminding us over and over, PLUS we missed the bloody bus! I actually think they do have it easier:)

Did you miss the part about guys spending 80 hrs/wk on academics, e.g., classes, labs, and studying??? And then also managing to swim 20 hr/wk??? I'm talking about going to a very competitive university (Johns Hopkins) where everyone spends lots of time on their studies. Very, very few adults work 80 hr/wk, but if you include the whole parenting business along with a 40-50 hr/wk job, then ya, 80 hrs/wk may well be routine. BUT, that just puts you EQUAL to these college swimmers, i.e. in theory an adult should be able to carve out 20 hr/wk to swim, bike, and/or run, if SBR is their highest priority after their 80 hrs spent on work and family, i.e. no TV, no entertainment, etc, unless you're riding the trainer or running on the dread-mill:)

TBH, nothing in my life has been as challenging as the 4 yrs I spent at Hopkins:)

age is just a number after your name
Quote Reply
Re: Sure, it's easier for the fishes. Now. It wasn't always the case. [AussieMikeinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(Quote) At 50 , and change n career, single, success in SBR sate wise and perhaps top 10 nationally, my 50 hr week and 16 hr SBR training I have no room for a thing. No gf, so play time, must nose to the grindstone eating sleeping training and thinking about the next sprint race in a few weeks and the longer OD or 70.3 in every 6-7 week cycles. My point is this if you want it hard enough you will find a way. How a college student can do studies, plus train and plus ?? I guess the younger body has its advantages in staying power ' cos sure I need my 8 hrs of sleep.(Quote)

Actually, the only dating the top Hopkins swimmer/scholars did was a "study date" with a female Hopkins swimmer. These guys/girls were monks/nuns mostly, very little to zero social life:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Nov 28, 14 11:02
Quote Reply

Prev Next