Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Charging Garmin FR220 while running??
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to replace my old reliable FR305 and will likely go with the FR220. However, since I will be primarily racing ultramarathons (10+hours), the ability to recharge the watch while still running and recording data is key. I was able to do that just fine with the 305 using DC rainmaker's instructions. Does anyone know if the same/similar approach will work with the FR220? If not, I'm likely going to have to go with the Fenix2 or 920XT, which are likely much more watch than I need. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Charging Garmin FR220 while running?? [RoadWarrior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, unfortunately not. Neither that, the FR620, or the FR920XT supports it. The Fenix lineup does however (Fenix/Fenix2/Tactix).

I have been making a push for it to get enabled on at least the 920XT, they have confirmed to me this week it's not a hardware limitation and would just be a software update. They're looking at it, but no promises.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Charging Garmin FR220 while running?? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
No, unfortunately not. Neither that, the FR620, or the FR920XT supports it. The Fenix lineup does however (Fenix/Fenix2/Tactix).

I have been making a push for it to get enabled on at least the 920XT, they have confirmed to me this week it's not a hardware limitation and would just be a software update. They're looking at it, but no promises.

Thanks Ray. Sounds like it will be either the Fenix 2 or the 920XT for me. The 920 will work fine for 24+ hours in ultratrac mode, right? For ultramarathons/trail running, would you recommend the Fenix2 or the 920?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoadWarrior wrote:
Thanks Ray. Sounds like it will be either the Fenix 2 or the 920XT for me. The 920 will work fine for 24+ hours in ultratrac mode, right? For ultramarathons/trail running, would you recommend the Fenix2 or the 920?

It's supposed to last 40 hours in UltraTrac mode (920XT), though my current unit is one of the ones impacted by battery recall, so it's a bit hard to say still.

The key difference between UltraTrac in the FR920XT vs the Fenix2, is that the Fenix2 won't record ANT+ sensor data (i.e. HR), whereas the 920XT will.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply