Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect?
Quote | Reply
Just ranting for a moment ... I really want to go back to Garmin Training Center. Connect is so dumbed down that it's difficult to do things that used to be easy in GTC. Connect seems to be a one-size-fits-all Facebook wannabe that tries to everything and ends up doing everything poorly. That's great if you want to socialize I guess, I just want to create workouts, download them to my old 705 or 310 and work out.You know, like GTC used to support. It reminds me of Microsoft product that behave like they know what you want to do regardless of what you really do want to accomplish, and you're stuck with a poor impression of the product. Okay, end of rant.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! It's like it absolutely HATES my 310xt! That's why I'm looking at getting a fenix 2 or edge 510 and by passing the ant uploaded and just using my phone.

The only easy day was yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [triCSU1869] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have returned to using Garmin Ant+ to update Garmin Connect with my 910XT, as uploading with Garmin Express has been spotty at best. Now I wish Garmin Connect would work correctly as most of the time there are issues and Garmin takes some time to correct them.....
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [coolny29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes absolutely hate it. Spent an hour building a running course which won't upload to our 310xt saying the device doesn't support courses. Too bad they dumped training center and those direct plug in micro USB ports like on the 500 edge.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't hate Garmin Connect, but that's not to say I love everything about it.

I do hate Garmin Express and the requirement to upload from my 310xt using the Ant stick. It sure is frustrating when it won't sync or upload a workout.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin is taking a page from Apple. Creating a product with so much potential then trying to destroy with stupid/missing features.

Quote | Reply
Garmin Connect is convenient to me because Garmin Express actually works for me. Just plug in my ANT stick for my 910XT or plug in the Edge 500 via USB and I can just walk away at that point. Connect also serves a means by which to auto-upload everything to Strava, so that makes things even simpler. I rarely ever need to actually log in to Connect for anything, and couldn't care less for what features they add. Strava for life.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [triCSU1869] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triCSU1869 wrote:
Thank you! It's like it absolutely HATES my 310xt! That's why I'm looking at getting a fenix 2 or edge 510 and by passing the ant uploaded and just using my phone.
He update works hat way it's supposed to. People need to get rid of their old stuff.
I'm kinda happy express is not working with my old snow leopard, on which I went back for the same reason garmin is doin right know. We are in that fu..in mill.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGupster wrote:
Garmin is taking a page from Apple. Creating a product with so much potential then trying to destroy with stupid/missing features.

And creating products that fit seamlessly together if you stay within their ecosystem but get a bit clunky if you step outside or try to change things. And having a highly avid fanbase that will queue round the block for the new product (although the previous one was perfectly fine) and discuss the shipping status of their pre-order.

Garmin is the Apple of triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't, it's simple and easy.......

I can upload and look and my workout in 5 min....done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have mixed feelings. I use Training Peaks for almost everything, but it's easier to download (upload?) to Garmin Connect which then syncs with TP. My Garmin 405 worked well this way using the ANT stick, and although I have to use an USB cable my Edge 800 works flawlessly.

The only problem I have is connecting my Fenix2. Since it doesn't work with the ANT stick, I have to use Bluetooth and about 20% of the time it will not sync. Then I have to connect with USB which is a hassle.

Again, I mainly use GC only to get the data to TP, but when I have needed to look at the site it seems like it doesn't display the data the way I need to see it.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [lovin4kids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovin4kids wrote:
The only problem I have is connecting my Fenix2. Since it doesn't work with the ANT stick, I have to use Bluetooth and about 20% of the time it will not sync. Then I have to connect with USB which is a hassle.

I've had similar issues, but in all cases I have been able to solve it by turning bluetooth off then on again on my phone. It re-establishes the connection. This might save you some hassle. I have never once connected it to a computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, I am frustrated with it, but maybe less frustrated now that I am using Tapiriik to sync my training data to Connect (and other places). If I use one of my Edge for an outside ride Express will upload it to Connect without hesitation, but when I train inside using TrainerRoad and then try to do a manual upload to Connect it kicks me out to the Connect login screen. It started doing this a couple weeks ago after having to restore my laptop after it crashed.

For the life of me I cannot get back into Connect classic. I have tried to clear out any internet history, cookies, etc., but as soon as I login to classic it puts me into modern and then kicks me out or my page goes from English to Spanish language and metrics. I am usually not one to gripe, but IMO they sure made a mess of a web site that I have used for a number of years. If I could get into classic and stay in classic I think I would be okay.

I upload to (for various reasons)
Strava, TrainingPeaks, TrainerRoad, VeloHero, RidewithGPS and Garmin Connect and now Connect (the one I have used the longest) is the one that is causing me grief. Fortunately Tapiriik solved it for my issue until the folk at Garmin get the kinks worked out.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with you. Simple and easy. When my workout is done everything is uploaded from my 510 and my 920, zero issues ever. When you are using older equipment - the newer technology has passed you by. With that said, you shouldnt have to buy new equipment to use the technology - but that is how most businesses run, update new stuff to sell more...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm overall fed up with the fact that every Garmin device seems to have a different way to connect and upload data or charge. Wired, Ant+, blah blah blah. And the heaven help you if you want to update the device itself. Depending on what it is, age, and vintage you may need a) old software with an old computer b) new software with a new computer c) a website d) all of the above. I have a 310XT, and 800 Edge, and an Oregon 650T and all use different bits of connectivity. It's ridiculous.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no problem with connect. However I only use it as a backup for my training data. I have it connected directly to my Training Peaks profile where I analyze, plan workouts, etc.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird thing. Garmin connect just randomly started
Working on my Computer last week. Hasn't worked in a year requiring me to manually upload.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having issues with my 800 not syncing automatically, oddly the 910 did no problem via ant+. There was an update a little while back and it has worked flawlessly ever since. The 910 did a crazy dump and duplicated some workouts when it did that which took a little time to clean up but wasn't that big of a deal.

The only issue I have right now is that it rarely opens on my pro-3 either in FF or IE, works perfectly fine on all my win7 machines and even on my surface RT, but the pro-3 nope just loads the blue background and won't do anything else. Then about once a week it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Connect doesn't bother me half as much as inconsistencies with my 310.

• Lost workouts if I don't download after each workout.
  • 30 minute downloads sometimes when I am just trying to transfer over weight from my Tanita.
  • Random pairing issues. Seems to work for around 3 months before I have to perform a full reset.
  • Random extremely slow boot-up. Sits on the splash screen for minutes. I can understand "locating satellites", but the splash screen?!?
  • Random power-on while attached to the charger which drains the battery.
  • etc.

I use the ATN+ agent and based on the negative feedback I won't switch away from that.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use it to get data into Strava. I never actually log into the Garmin Connect site any more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest complaint with Garmin Connect is that it's incredibly slow. On a super fast computer with all modern and updated browsers on 200mbits of Internet, it still absolutely crawls. I still use ANT Agent to upload my 310xt workouts, and I manually upload Garmin 500 files, so that portion works as expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The classic version of GC worked so much better. I can still use classic and will do so as long as possible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you care about your data, don't let it be held hostage by online services.

analyze it on your own computer, back it up to the internet.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like to knock companies but Garmin is the worst CE company by a mile (that's if their product happens to be working at the time of measurement). Training functionality aside, they can't even figure out how to get Bluetooth to work correctly, yet I can easily stream Spotify to a UE speaker through my phone. That's much harder than sending small data packets. The only reason I bought a 510 was to support my laziness yet I still end up plugging into computer 50% of the time.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Nov 21, 14 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: Is anyone else fed up with Garmin Connect? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
if you care about your data, don't let it be held hostage by online services.

analyze it on your own computer, back it up to the internet.

It's nice being able to use TP because of the online. I have WKO+ but stopped using it because I didn't always bring my computer with me. WKO also has a UI that is straight from the 1980's but that's a different issue. I just prefer the flexibility online brings. TP at least makes a solid effort in providing analysis tools.