Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where to live in Austin?
Quote | Reply
I spent 5 years in San Francisco, and the last two in Menlo Park (right next to Stanford) and am pondering a move. Great cycling/running here, but my company recently opened an office in Austin and there may be an opportunity to relocate.

Where should I be looking? Main asks would be road bike and trail running routes from my front door. Proximity to, or an easy bike commute to my office near the capital would be a plus.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Last edited by: kjmcawesome: Nov 20, 14 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Where to live in Austin? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are still interested, let me know as I grew up in Palo Alto Sunnyvale and moved here with my family almost 10 years back...I'll send you my email address
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a follow-up, I made this for the SF Bay Area. Anyone have something similar for Austin?

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live and work downtown, and would highly suggest you aim there or in the very near neighborhoods (Travis Heights, Clarksville, SoCo, Bouldin Creek). The trail around town lake is great and can be anywhere from 2-10 miles depending on the bridges you choose to cross on, and the greenbelt offers great trail running just off the Town Lake at Barton Springs. Speaking of BS, its a great place to swim, and there are several other pools in the immediate area (Big Stacy, Deep Eddy, UT).

Riding is good, but not great, and you can get out of the city easy for rides east/south that are flat and quiet, or west which is hilly and can be very good riding for long ones. I also can do a 90min to 2hour ride inside the city on some great roads with good hills and very little car issues. There are also several great bike shops downtown that do group rides (MJs, J&As, etc).

Very happy to share more if you are curious.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the vote to live near Barton Springs if able for the trails, Town Lake, etc. We took a little different route to purposely avoid downtown Austin on the weekends because of traffic and bought in Round Rock. I realize that would give you a commute, but from RR, you can head east or northeast and be in the country in no time. We have several 50-100 mile routes that start and end at our front door. I don't like to ride in traffic, but obviously there are a ton of guys riding in and around downtown every day, out 360, etc.

In other words, depending on your priorities, you can be in town close to work and have great riding...but traffic...or get a little north, add a commute, but find some great open roads. There are trails up north, too. We run Brushy Creek in Round Rock and the park off Sam Bass often...not crowded like the Zilker Park trails, but they don't have that Austin vibe.

It's a great city and area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the house next to mine!
Actually don't, it is a pain in the ass to get to any good bike routes

kjmcawesome wrote:
I spent 5 years in San Francisco, and the last two in Menlo Park (right next to Stanford) and am pondering a move. Great cycling/running here, but my company recently opened an office in Austin and there may be an opportunity to relocate.

Where should I be looking? Main asks would be road bike and trail running routes from my front door. Proximity to, or an easy bike commute to my office near the capital would be a plus.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Nov 21, 14 6:50
Quote Reply
Re: Where to live in Austin? [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Travis Heights, Clarksville, SoCo, Bouldin Creek

I've only been here since April, and it will likely be a bit before I'm ready to buy...but this is the area I'd be looking in. I currently live NW (next to Pure Austin - Quarry Lake) and it's nice: easy access to everything I need plus a great commute to work, but the greater downtown area is where the magic that is Austin happens. Group runs, rides, food, drink, and various events are all down there.
Quote Reply
Re: Where to live in Austin? [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, and for the OP, the commute will be terrible if RR or NW is chosen...I35 and Mopac are two of the worst commuting routes in the USA.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Where to live in Austin? [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Downtown has about the same density as some other areas (residents) so the traffic on weekends is not much different, except during events which there are quite a few (also one of the benefits of living downtown). For the CapTex and TriRock, I walk across TL from my condo (so easy and stress free). You can't beat that for ease of access to events. As for riding on 360, I can count on one hand how many times I actually ride on that road in a year. 360 is easily avoided (and should except on Sunday mornings, IMO) and there are plenty of great routes in the city that afford little traffic or irritation. That said, if you want to just get into the aero bars and roll on along a flat straight road, going E or SE/NE is the way to do it, so I agree with your thoughts there.

All in all, it's what you are looking for in a home/lifestyle and the only real issue I would highlight is the Commute. Working in the center of downtown really makes commuting a huge issue, and one that will continue to grow exponentially over the next decade (or longer!).

Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Travis Heights, Clarksville, Bouldin Creek"
x2. Been in Bouldin neighborhood for several years and love being able to train from my front door. Decent amount of swimming options and plenty of great run and riding routes. Easy access to the Greenbelt which offers technical trail running and mountain biking (at least for my incompetent-ass). If you want to experience everything Austin has to offer, choose a neighborhood near downtown. If you want the burb lifestyle, head north but be weary of traffic.

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Where to live in Austin? [jbird2131] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbird2131 wrote:
but be weary of traffic.

... He doesn't have to start off being weary of the traffic... he can suffer for a month or two before weariness sets in...

As an aside, who are all you guys? I'm always looking for more training buddies. Do you guys ever make it out to the Saturday morning ATC ride? Is there a good way for me to recognize you out there? My attendance has been spotty, but maybe we can pick a weekend when everyone comes wearing a jersey with their slowtwitch handle?
Quote Reply
Re: Where to live in Austin? [LynchDeez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Judging from your handles (jackmott, JASpencer, jbird2131) and signatures (Jack), you might all be named Jack. Austin's demographics never cease to astound me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LynchDeez wrote:
Judging from your handles (jackmott, JASpencer, jbird2131) and signatures (Jack), you might all be named Jack. Austin's demographics never cease to astound me.

we are all named Jose

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop trying to hijack my thread. And thank you for the advice. I now have some areas to check out.

@jackmott stop trying to steal my wife's jeep.

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived there about 20 years ago I lived near the south end of 360 at what was then the end of the greenbelt near Scottish Woods Trail. I did road/mountain bike rides to downtown or out to 620 to the reservoirs and trail runs on the greenbelt starting from my door and back then it was only about ten to fifteen minutes driving to/from downtown. This entrance to the trail leads to what was then the largest climb/descent on the greenbelt. (it's at the top and it's not much compared to Bay Area climbs.) Downtown is runnable from there as well if you had showers at work. I commuted to work a few times on 360 or through Westlake, depends on your comfort level with auto traffic.

There are other spots closer to downtown along the greenbelt that would be a very short ride on either road or mtb.

I looked at my former house, it tripled in price from 200000 to 600000 so it's still a lot less than Bay Area prices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't generally ride the ATC ride, but am up for all kinds of riding, so send a message and we can sort something out. You will recognize my kit easily since I race for Big Sexy Racing...

Jack

Quote Reply