Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Off-season Swimming and Periodization [Markster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kicking needs to be balanced against what else you could be doing with your limited time in the pool.

Competitive swimmers do these days spend a fair amount of time kicking in practice but, they also have 15-20 hours a week to play with. For a triathlete, kicking is kind of like adding ice cream to your diet. Some is OK but not if it keeps you from eating your fruits and veggies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Markster wrote:
I do that sometimes between intervals, say a 50m, to give my some breathing rest. I find a bend at my knees more when I kick on my back and feels counter to freestyle kicking.

Also, what are typical kick sets for 3x per week 3000 to 4000m swim workouts?

Cool. So you have identified a weakness. Now you get to work on fixing it. Hip flexors, not knee bend will drive you forward. Very common mistake. Most people bend at the knee due to weak hip flexors/never been taught proper kick form. Dry land flutter kicks can help this as well.

Lots of answers on your second half question. Me personally, I do about 20% kicking in my workouts give or take. 25s, 50s, 100s, 200s. Mine get mixed up to get to that ~20%. I vary the RI as well. Just depends on the focus at the time.

Edit: Hip flexors & pointed feet will drive you forward.

Formerly TriBrad02
Last edited by: TriBrad02: Nov 21, 14 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a good backsrtoke kick is exactly the same as a good freestyle kick. kick from the hips, a "small" amount of knee bend is OK, but not in a bicycling motion...

as far as kick sets go, right now in masters we're on a bit of a kick focus - very important if you mostly race 50-400m, and especially critical for the backstrokers on the team. on a big day we might be doing as much as 40% of the workout as kick.

My favorites usually mix kick in with swim in some way.

e.g. a set might be something like:

4x
(3x100 as:
25kick hard - 75 swim
50 kick hard - 50 swim
75 kick hard - 25 swim

on 20-30s rest between 100's)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season Swimming and Periodization [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Get on a masters swim team and you will not have to worry about what to do. They will kick your butt.

Better yet join the local HS team, its humbling but it gets the job done.
Quote Reply
Re: Off-season Swimming and Periodization [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Get on a masters swim team and you will not have to worry about what to do. They will kick your butt.

Better yet join the local HS team, its humbling but it gets the job done.

Not when the 10 year old gals, or younger, kick my butt.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1- Kick is generated from the core. If by the end of a kick set your hip flexors aren't screaming, you're doing it wrong. Tight core, floppy ankles. Long legs with extension out the toes. The floppy ankles part is a challenge for runners and cyclists, as it is opposite the needs of those sports. When on your back, your knees should barely break the surface with no break at the knee.

2- Try kicking into the wall to really get the feel. i.e. face down, arms extended holding the gutter. kick, thinking about pushing your toes to the opposite wall

3- Kick without a borad. Try body position kicking, arms at sides, head leading. Your back should be flat and just at the surface. When your toes reach the surface push them down again. Kick should be within about 18" of the surface to be most effective. Breathe by turning (not lifting your head)

4- KICK.A.LOT then KICK.SOME.MORE - the biggest jumps in my swimming career came from broken collarbones (Shophmore HS, Sophmore College) when all I could do was kick for 6-8 weeks.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Nov 21, 14 12:58
Quote Reply

Prev Next