Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: top 15 men and weight [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When were they weighed? How was their height measured? In bare feet? Really, does anyone believe these numbers, other than to say most of these guys are in very good shape?

My weight can vary by 10 pounds, and I'm an inch taller, at least, when wearing my size 12 Hoka elephant shoes. My Tanita scale has had me between 5% and 11% body fat, fwiw. (not much)

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [PT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT wrote:
As an aside, BMI is a crap metric.

BMI is a perfect metric for comparing BMI to other things.

Not every investigation is interested in whether the weight is due to fat or muscle or other. To answer certain question it doesn't matter if the weight is muscle or fat. You can see a hint that BMI correlates with run speed for the men, where mass doesn't. That is information. You could dig deeper and see if body composition matters too, or not. That would be more information.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert wrote:
When were they weighed? How was their height measured? In bare feet? Really, does anyone believe these numbers, other than to say most of these guys are in very good shape?

Also, if weight and height are self-reported, you can probably add 5 pounds and subtract an inch. From what I can tell, a lot of pros like to do some creative rounding. Apparently most people do: Sex and ethnic differences in validity of self-reported adult height, weight and body mass index

I agree that weight especially can be somewhat ambiguous. Weight two weeks out from Kona, on race morning and six hours into the race could be significantly different.

It's still interesting to get a rough idea and I appreciate these features.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
Robert wrote:

Also, if weight and height are self-reported, you can probably add 5 pounds and subtract an inch. From what I can tell, a lot of pros like to do some creative rounding. Apparently most people do: Sex and ethnic differences in validity of self-reported adult height, weight and body mass index

I agree that weight especially can be somewhat ambiguous. Weight two weeks out from Kona, on race morning and six hours into the race could be significantly different.

It's still interesting to get a rough idea and I appreciate these features.

Agree fully. My weight varies a lot, especially around race time.

My question would be was this from the mandatory pre race weigh in?

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

As an aside, BMI is a crap metric.

BMI is a crap metric only for the purposes of determining if an individual is fat or not, especially in muscular men.
It's actually a pretty decent metric here...

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(1) I doubt this is pre-race weight, my guess is Potts is below 170pounds for Kona
(2) Weight is just one of the prongs in the approach to running.....not the end all be all.
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a typo, but if all could just be in kg and cm the world would be much simpler.

Well, they had Kienle at 180cm/5'9'' and Hoffman at 178cm/5'10''. Go figure.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
That was a typo, but if all could just be in kg and cm the world would be much simpler.

Well, they had Kienle at 180cm/5'9'' and Hoffman at 178cm/5'10''. Go figure.
[/quote]
I think everything should be metric.
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Herbert wrote:

Well, they had Kienle at 180cm/5'9'' and Hoffman at 178cm/5'10''. Go figure.

I think everything should be metric.[/quote]
Oh god, not this again!

Yes, though.
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

I think everything should be metric.

What you are proposing... is outlandish!

Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
synthetic wrote:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Kona_14_Top_15_men_-_run_4714.html

4. Andy Potts
USA
height: 188cm / 6'2"
weight: 77kg / 170lbs

run split: 2:48:18

8. Frederik Van Lierde
Belgium
height: 184cm / 6’1”
weight: 71kg / 156.5lbs

run split: 2:56:21

13.5lb diference, 8min time split difference. Time for you weight weenies to get yourself a full rack of beef ribs.

In his book, Friel states that top contenders should be in the 2.10-2.30 range (weight in lbs/height in inches). They're both in that range. A rack of beef ribs prob puts AP out of contention. :P

Andy Potts = 2.29

FVL = 2.14

2.1-2.3... damn, that's lean. I have a lot of work to do.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this hasn't been posted yet, then, here is my reply to what is obviously trying to pick a signal out of the noise (with no averaging, for you signal processing folks)

http://tylervigen.com

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like this thread, because I can't blame being 6'3" / 180 as why I am so slow :(
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
2.1-2.3... damn, that's lean. I have a lot of work to do.

I'm apparently at 2.05 and I'm 5 lbs less on race day, which puts me at 1.99. So damn, I am apparently very lean.

Height: 73 inches
Weight: 150 lbs - 145 on race day
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are lean that ratio is higher...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any ideas as to why this spread is so different than last year (http://www.slowtwitch.com/...15_Men_Run_4058.html), where the men were all within a narrow band at ~180cm / 72 kg?

At least this year there's variation. Any idea why its so different? Wind?
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Any ideas as to why this spread is so different than last year (http://www.slowtwitch.com/...15_Men_Run_4058.html), where the men were all within a narrow band at ~180cm / 72 kg?

At least this year there's variation. Any idea why its so different? Wind?

Because Andy Potts and Jan Frodeno didn't race last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
we have series misconceptions about weight... as I mentioned in another thread:

We have bigger misconceptions about causal inference.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Nov 1, 14 3:46
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the best! Rinny! :)
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on. That is usually what I think when I see someone trying to measure performance via statistics. 1) not much is held constant 2) too wide of range of independent variables 3) you can say anything you want to say with statistics, especially with a scatter plot. It is still fun to read.

But, I did do the lb/ht formula mentioned above and I am the exact same as FVL at 2.14. I just can't figure out why my times are off by a couple of hours. 😏
Quote Reply
Re: top 15 men and weight [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
synthetic wrote:

No.

well for general population i suppose not.. it is a bmi type metric.

180cm / 60kg = 3 is quite lean

180cm / 90kg = 2 can be a pro bodybuilder (lean) or typical sedentary american (blubber)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Staz wrote:
synthetic wrote:

No.

well for general population i suppose not.. it is a bmi type metric.

180cm / 60kg = 3 is quite lean

180cm / 90kg = 2 can be a pro bodybuilder (lean) or typical sedentary american (blubber)

It's weight/height.
Quote Reply

Prev Next