Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Beach runners?
Quote | Reply
I live only 3 blocks from the ocean. I always use to hear "don't run on the beach, it's bad for your knees". So I never run on the beach.

-Is running on the beach bad for you?
The beach by me is somewhat angled. The grade depends on the tide.
-The sand is soft and not very compacted? So shoes or barefoot?

I run a mix of treadmill and roads now? Would it hurt to add the beach into that rotation?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd stick to running in the wet sand rather than farther up the beach. Its more compact and will be easier to run on so you don't sink backwards every time you take a step. Running on the dry sand could very well mess with your joints since its unstable. But wet sand is really nice to run on.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a picture of my beach. Every beach is really different.

Last edited by: slow123: Oct 30, 14 9:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slow123 wrote:
Here's just an average day picture. Not sure if that helps. I know that every beach can be really different.

Where in Australia is this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every year we go to Florida, and I spend a good week running exclusively on the beach barefoot almost every day with no issues at all. I definitely stick right to the water line though where the sand is the most firm. This is also the time of the year when I'm totally out of shape, and I still don't have issues with it. Avoid the salt water on your run shorts though, talk about serious chaffing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slow123 wrote:
Here's just an average day picture. Not sure if that helps. I know that every beach can be really different.

I commend you for being able to run upside down. That takes a lot of skill.

But for real. Run in that area where the water is washing up. AKA the shiny sand in the picture

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoops! Fixed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's bad for your knees, unless you already have a torn ACL or something. It's just more laborious to run in sand. Running on the beach barefoot is the "original barefoot" and minimalist running. It shouldn't be the only running you do, but it's a great workout and a lot of fun. Just watch out for glass (I cut open my foot once and it was miserable hobble back to the hotel).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run barefoot on the beach all the time. No knee problems here. Plus, I can do a swim before the run and get a double workout. I call it the "no equipment brick" - just a swim suit and a pair of googles.

I run in SW Michigan USA at the Warren Dunes State Park. Easy way to get a high heart rate without any leg stress while running up the dunes.

As a matter of fact, for many years the only running I could do was on loose sand while recovering from a herniated disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [HiImRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HiImRob wrote:
I'd stick to running in the wet sand rather than farther up the beach. Its more compact and will be easier to run on so you don't sink backwards every time you take a step. Running on the dry sand could very well mess with your joints since its unstable. But wet sand is really nice to run on.

I guess anything you're not used to can mess with you're body including SBR. Isn't the trick to force your body (progressively) to adapt to things it couldn't previously do? And aren't we better off for it? I think it's good to step out of our comfort zones once in a while. I wouldn't run on sand often, but I think it's an excellent run specific strengthening exercise. Unstable? Sure. But low impact.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure hope it's not bad for you...

http://www.badwater.com/capefear/index.html

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [TriBiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is true but there are things than can safer than others to attempt. The thing about running on dry sand is that you just sink. And while its low impact, it can cause you to do weird movements with your legs to just move forward leading to strained muscles or something like that. Doing most of your beach running on more compact sand would allow you to use the movements of road running more effectively. But yes, adaptation is good in general. Its similar to the lateral muscle benefits of trail running. You don't want to jump head first into doing a ton of technical trail running right off the bat or you may screw up a knee or ankle because your body isn't used to cutting back and forth all the time. If you want to run in dry sand, I would recommend starting a little at a time.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a decent amount of beach running, but I always wear shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't the fact that it's on a slope automatically mean there's a heightened chance for muscle injury?
Quote Reply
Re: Beach runners? [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueQuintana wrote:
isn't the fact that it's on a slope automatically mean there's a heightened chance for muscle injury?

Don't know but you get to even it out on the way back. On the road the slope is always going the same way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely love long beach runs.

Check the tide charts and schedule your run for low tide, much more compact sand to run on that way and usually less pitch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have already stated - not all beaches are created equal (in terms of runnability). For example, Virginia Beach is terrible - it has a very short and steep ramp to the water (even at low tide), whereas St. Simons Island is far more gradual and during low tide is absolutely amazing for running (think Chariots of Fire). If its drastically uneven and I can feel it in my hips then I'll generally pass on the beach run.
Quote Reply