Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about renting a small warehouse space and putting in an above ground 25 meter pool (3 lanes) as well as some computrainers. I'm thinking having exclusive rights to use the space will be limited to about 25 people for around $100/month. This basically covers the rent and insurance needed. Let me know if you are in the area and would be interested in something like this. The membership would allow you 24 hour access with an online sign up to reserve your time. I absolutely hate swimming at packed fitness clubs so I trying to think outside the box of what I would really want in a training center.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [Look596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look596 wrote:
I'm thinking about renting a small warehouse space and putting in an above ground 25 meter pool (3 lanes) as well as some computrainers. I'm thinking having exclusive rights to use the space will be limited to about 25 people for around $100/month. This basically covers the rent and insurance needed. Let me know if you are in the area and would be interested in something like this. The membership would allow you 24 hour access with an online sign up to reserve your time. I absolutely hate swimming at packed fitness clubs so I trying to think outside the box of what I would really want in a training center.

$100 dollars a month seems pretty steep if all you are offering is 24 hour access, CompuTrainers, and a pool.

Swimming at a crowded gym does suck, but many athletes in this region of the country have their own trainer at home due to our awesomely brutal winters. Gym's also offer strength training equipment as well, which many athletes don't have access to at home.

As a comparison, I was a personal trainer at a club in Joliet with a strong endurance athlete presence. They had swimmers, runners, cyclists, and triathletes. They offered over 80 free classes including spin, a full compliment of strength training and cardio equipment, an indoor pool, a run club, an indoor track, an outdoor track, steam room, whirl pool, locker rooms, child care, and on site nutrition bar, for $35.33 a month.

The concept is great. If you added some treadmills and strength training equipment I think the $100 month would be totally worth it due to the 24 hour access. It would be a great place for triathletes and endurance athletes to train and congregate.

Great concept! Hope my two cents help and it comes to fruition. Keep us updated!

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:
$100 dollars a month seems pretty steep if all you are offering is 24 hour access, CompuTrainers, and a pool.

Not sure about your area, but don't most multirider studio's charge close to that (or more) for around 5, 1 hour sessions in a given month? Making it 24 hours, having a pool would be a bonus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its unlimited access (more or less) to the computrainers, its not a bad deal considering what most places charge for sessions around here.

Id be interested, but can't swim & probably wont be able to again for some time
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
ScottWrigleyFit wrote:

Not sure about your area, but don't most multirider studio's charge close to that (or more) for around 5, 1 hour sessions in a given month? Making it 24 hours, having a pool would be a bonus?

Those studios have an instructor present. Similar to paying for a coach or trainer, at multirider studios you are paying for the knowledge and teaching abilities of the coach/instructor during the session. If the setup would be the same, with options for instructor and video lead sessions, then $100 a month isn't so steep.

The way I read the post, was that the plan is to have a pool and CompuTrainers for use at your leisure without any instructor lead swim or cycling sessions.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [ScottWrigleyFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife is a triathlon coach and could have preloaded sessions for the computrainers as well as video courses to ride. After training on a computrainer for multiple Ironman, riding a normal trainer just doesn't give me the workout that a computrainer can. That's why I was thinking unlimited riding that each athlete can train with their own plan whenever they want. I never was into group workouts as each athlete had a different workout for the day and they are contingent on a time that works for everyone. I like to do workouts on my own schedule rather than adjust my schedule to fit others. That was what this concept is trying to achieve.
Last edited by: Look596: Oct 30, 14 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Downers Grove, and I'd be interested in such an idea. However, I imagine you would be able to get a few more "members" involved to reduce the price for the people who choose to join. I understand the thought that compared to computrainer classes, you'd be getting a deal, but just throwing in my two cents. Otherwise, it doesn't add much value for me (I swim at FFC above Union Station and spend most of my winter bike time on the trainer in the basement). Definitely worth checking out, and I'd be interested to see if the idea takes off.

http://Everydadironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the pool aspect, I mean why would I want to give up getting yelled at by the centerian pool walkers @ Good Sam because I was "splashing" them as I swim in the lane next to them. I am local as well and like the idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [jmt8345] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmt8345 wrote:
I don't know about the pool aspect, I mean why would I want to give up getting yelled at by the centerian pool walkers @ Good Sam because I was "splashing" them as I swim in the lane next to them. I am local as well and like the idea.

There is a pool at Good Sam? I work in DG and did not know. After the Great Outdoors (now The Dump) closed, I sent a note to Lifetime Fitness and was hoping they would open a new location.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [brptak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the owner of the warehouse doesn't cats if you destroy the building with moisture abs high humidity? You need to turn post the air in a nanatorium as much as 10 times an hour. You have to heat all that outside air 6 months or poor the year.

I like the idea otherwise.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if I would. I live in the area and I use xsport in downers grove. It's gross, but I also swim in lake michigan. I rarely have to wait to use the pool. It's super cheap and I use my kickr with trainerroad for cycling, so I probably wouldn't utilize it. If there were group workouts or coaching then I might consider it.
Btw good sam does have a pool, I've heard good things about it. I wish I knew about it before I signed up for xsport because I work there and get a discount.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a thought, there must be some liability issue with having a pool and someone swimming in it on their own. I know people have pools in their own homes but this a different situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure public pools like this need a health inspection showers etc. It's a good idea, but I think the regulations and/or liabilities makes it DOA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were in my area, I'd pay $100. Seems fair and reasonable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm roughly in the area (Naperville) and would be very interested in something like this, particularly the CompuTrainers (less so the pool). Throw in a treadmill and a shower and I'd absolutely be a loyal user.
Last edited by: adnama: Oct 31, 14 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [brptak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, in the Good Sam Wellness center in the back. It is a little $$, no kids only geezers (I am almost 50 and frequently among the youngest), indoor track, not crowded at all, well maintained and yes a very clean pool area. There is a masters group as well, extremely laid back welcoming bunch. I think they are doing "pop in" rates for non members if you wanted to try a session out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmt8345 wrote:
Yep, in the Good Sam Wellness center in the back. It is a little $$, no kids only geezers (I am almost 50 and frequently among the youngest), indoor track, not crowded at all, well maintained and yes a very clean pool area. There is a masters group as well, extremely laid back welcoming bunch. I think they are doing "pop in" rates for non members if you wanted to try a session out.

How long is the track? Do you have to be on staff to use it?
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Computrainer feeler in Downers Grove, IL [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is 12 laps per mile. They used to have a daily use fee, I would check them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmt8345 wrote:
I think it is 12 laps per mile. They used to have a daily use fee, I would check them out.

We live in the city but hate treadmills (my wife more than me) so are looking for an indoor 1/4-1/2 mile track that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Quote Reply