Quote | Reply
My typical rule of thumb is that it is worth doing something if you have:
- 20min for a run
- 25min for a swim
- 30min for a bike

Thought I also say this as:
- 20min for a run
- 30min for a bike
- 40min for a swim BECAUSE it takes about 15min to get dressed/undressed/dry/etc

Totally better to do something than nothing.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
My typical rule of thumb is that it is worth doing something if you have:
- 20min for a run
- 25min for a swim
- 30min for a bike

Thought I also say this as:
- 20min for a run
- 30min for a bike
- 40min for a swim BECAUSE it takes about 15min to get dressed/undressed/dry/etc

Totally better to do something than nothing.

I have gotten to the point that my minimum in any sport is down to 10 minutes...5 min warmup then 5 min hard. The problem with swimming is access to the pool. I now have a pool 7 min jog from work, so I can do 1x7 min run easy, 10-15 min hard swim and 7 min hard run + 5-6 min of changing shower overhead. Works out to 30ish min door to door and I get to practice fast transitions :-).

On another note my basic target year round is if someone asks me to join a 1 hour swim, a 3 hour ride or a 90 min run, I have enough basic fitness to get through that without injury or suffering too badly. As a bare min one of 40 min swim, 2 hour ride, 60 min run is as "low as it should go". Doing a lot of these short/minimal workouts allows us to hold a decent level of health/tri specifics without much time investment. Certainly for busy athletes with time constrained jobs and young kids, adopting the "something is better than nothing" philosophy can be very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

I believe you've said your in the Kanata area. When in town for work (I'm from Hamilton) I usually stay at the Brookstreet. Besides the hotel where's the new pool? I usually swim at the Nepean Sportsplex but would welcome something closer.

Cheers!

Rob

http://www.robskonadreamin.com/
https://twitter.com/KonaDreamin66
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During some of my best years of training/racing, while living in Vancouver. I lived about a 10 min run from Kits Pool. Then like now I worked from home and telecommuted - admittedly the following was easier for me than for others. 3 days/week my "lunch" was: run 10 mins to the pool/40 min swim/run 10 mins home. I seem to recall in my logs at the time that I did not even "count" those runs. Yet that was, in total an extra hour/week and 10K of running!

As mentioned previously, this is not that complicated. I think coaches and athletes want to make it that way! It all counts.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [Kona Dreamin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona Dreamin wrote:
Hey Dev,

I believe you've said your in the Kanata area. When in town for work (I'm from Hamilton) I usually stay at the Brookstreet. Besides the hotel where's the new pool? I usually swim at the Nepean Sportsplex but would welcome something closer.

Cheers!

Google Richcraft Recreation Center.

15 min jog from the Brookstreet hotel.

Lane swim 6 am to 4 pm and 7 pm to 9 pm daily, minimum 2 lanes at all times, usually 3-4 lanes.

I agree with Fleck...often I will make the run to the pool 10 min there and back and then tack on another 15 min transition off the bike commute home. Suddenly in 4 days of bike commuting and swim commutes and transitions runs there is also 2 hours of running "in the base building back". There are weeks in season when I have not done a proper run workout till the weekend. While my runs are not stellar, it's enough to sustain any fitness without losing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for us, this is the best time of the year to train (well, except the sea gets cold). you can go out during the day again, you can ALMOST go for a run in the middle of the day - maybe next month or by the end of this month... your run times come down, you have more energy and the training is GREAT. this is the time of year a lot of our events ramp up as the weather is finally getting able to support a good effort.

i need a plan like yours for summer. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Something Better Than Nothing [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, so how is everyone doing this week? Are you carving out those small slivers of time? Roger Bannister used to do a short warmup and run 60 min 400m repeats at the track while in med school. The guy barely had 30-40 min at lunch time according to the legends to ....15 min gets you a 4 min warmup + 6x60 seconds hard with 30 seconds of jogging to recover :-).
Quote Reply

Prev Next