Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [ColeofCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like trail running.
Yet I also think it is great way to get injured.

Sure I know "roads blah blah pounding blah blah"

But I on trails, I am constantly twisting my my ankle, whacking my head on a branch, tripping and flying head first into a cactus etc. etc. etc.

I think most sports injuries are actually "accidents" not repetitive stress things.
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
I like trail running.
Yet I also think it is great way to get injured.

Sure I know "roads blah blah pounding blah blah"

But I on trails, I am constantly twisting my my ankle, whacking my head on a branch, tripping and flying head first into a cactus etc. etc. etc.

I think most sports injuries are actually "accidents" not repetitive stress things.

Sighting isn't just for the swim. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love trail running. depending on the terrain, it can be either a lot like road running, or not very much like road running at all.

a lot of triathletes are really into constant-level-of-exertion training. it's really hard to do that on most trails. things are more fartlek-y.

but i went from a running newby w/a first time marathon time of 3:28 (07) to a 2:57 in my 3rd marathon (09), and I'd guess that 1/3 of my miles during that time were on trails.
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adverse condition running is great. Give me cold, give me uphill, give me sand, give me jagged rocks. There was this dirt road that was slightly angled downhill. I always ran downhill, then one day said," lets do my intervals from opposite end uphill starting today". My run time went up drastically at the track at the Y only two weeks after I started inserting uphill intervals.

If you can run adverse conditions non-adverse will seem easier. Dirt, rocks, uphill, don't be scared....

Unfortunately "run surface adversity" is a bit difficult to measure. You don't want to go from flat surface running to 45 degree uphill running obviously though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend 99% of your running on soft surface. My experience with athletes is you can get more volume that way, better recovery and perhaps less injuries.

grass, dirt road, gravel etc....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
I recommend 99% of your running on soft surface. My experience with athletes is you can get more volume that way, better recovery and perhaps less injuries.

Yes, off-road doesn't have to be some crazy technical trail. I always run on the grass beside the regular path used for running.
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
I love trail running. depending on the terrain, it can be either a lot like road running, or not very much like road running at all.

a lot of triathletes are really into constant-level-of-exertion training. it's really hard to do that on most trails. things are more fartlek-y.

but i went from a running newby w/a first time marathon time of 3:28 (07) to a 2:57 in my 3rd marathon (09), and I'd guess that 1/3 of my miles during that time were on trails.

So if I run 1/3 of my miles on trails will I run 2:57 too? ? =)
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Yes, off-road doesn't have to be some crazy technical trail. I always run on the grass beside the regular path used for running.

If you run just off the shoulder of the road in South Jersey you get to deal with rocks and sand and gravel and shoes and needles and underwear and beer cans and little ariplane bottles of Fireball and all sorts of other shit like that

It's lovely down here, really it is

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
Staz wrote:

If you run just off the shoulder of the road in South Jersey you get to deal with rocks and sand and gravel and shoes and needles and underwear and beer cans and little ariplane bottles of Fireball and all sorts of other shit like that

It's lovely down here, really it is

Some super technical trail you've got there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running = running regardless of the surface. You have to go through the same motion either way. Trail running actually can have more benefits than road running other than the obvious cardiovascular benefits. Technical trails make you use a lot of muscles that you don't typically use in road running or triathlon in general. Having to cut direction requires a lot of lateral motion. Its good for you!

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
jonnyo wrote:

X2 on all above - esp more volume potential and grass beside the path when possible.

IMO we did not evolve running on pavement.

I want to run when I'm 90. Running on grass and trails will help get me there. Pavement no so much.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:

So if I run 1/3 of my miles on trails will I run 2:57 too? ? =)

yes. so if you're faster than that, you should probably stick with the roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ellsworth53T wrote:
you might be talking about alberto salazar. i know he severely limits the time his athlete spends on pavement.

in this thread, we seem to be hitting on two different things. trail running vs not running on pavement.

i like to do alot of my running on a double track path with gravel screenings. you could also do a golf course early in the morning. this will give you the specificity with much less pounding on the legs (another plus for the treadmill).

there is also nothing wrong with running single track which seems to be more of what the op is asking. if it was me, i would treat it like i treat mountain biking. run based on time. as you approach a race become more specific with how you train so for running, best case is running on a dirt or gravel screened path.

I try to spend as much time off pavement as possible. I remember this interview with Alberto Salazar where he talks specifically about how little running he allows his athletes to do on pavement. (I'm pretty sure I've got the right episode here!)

http://competitorradio.competitor.com/...2/alberto-salazar-2/
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [hardidu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My n=1

I do (or did, before I moved to the centre of a ver large city) 90% of my running on trails. Hilly trails. I saw _huge_ improvements over the 2 seasons I kept it up.

That said, I also added mileage and started to run doubles as well. That said, I think the lack of repetive pounding on the joints, coupled with the fact that I often had to force myself to run slower on trails to avoid twisting ankles or ploughing into a kangaroo (almost happened twice), helped keep my legs happy and enabled the increase in mileage. Now that I've moved to a city where trails aren't so easy to come by, I've noticed that I don't recover quite so quickly as I did when I was hitting the dirt.

Given the option, I'd run trails as often as I could (excluding interval sessions where hitting a pace is required). I'd run hills almost as often, particularly in the "off season".
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do at least 70-80% of my running on the trails. There is some pavement on the way to the trail (sometimes I ride my bike there though) and I do some speed/vo2max on the track. Very rarely just basic training on pavement, more or less only when I'm like 6 weeks out from a major race and even then I keep the long run on the trails.

Less recovery, more 'athleticism', way more fun. If you have a problem with rolled ankles you need to get flatter and better shoes (try Inov8 or Icebug. Maybe Salomon Sense/speedcross)

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [Swanson234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swanson234 wrote:
adverse condition running is great. Give me cold, give me uphill, give me sand, give me jagged rocks. There was this dirt road that was slightly angled downhill. I always ran downhill, then one day said," lets do my intervals from opposite end uphill starting today". My run time went up drastically at the track at the Y only two weeks after I started inserting uphill intervals.

If you can run adverse conditions non-adverse will seem easier. Dirt, rocks, uphill, don't be scared....

Unfortunately "run surface adversity" is a bit difficult to measure. You don't want to go from flat surface running to 45 degree uphill running obviously though.

This was one of my reasons (alongside the reduced DOMS potentially reducing any adaption c/w the road, and the reduced speed imposed by surface irregularities) for starting the thread. At times trails can be so steep the runner is barely making any forward progress at all but it sure gets the heart rate up!
Last edited by: zamm0: Nov 18, 14 8:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trails are fine. You won't suddenly have weak legs from lack of pavement running so long as you're putting in the volume and distance on the trails.

Running on roads has its own benefits/drawbacks - flatter surface means you can often get higher leg turnover than on a technical trail, which is helpful for running fast 5ks or other hi-turnover events. But still, in the VAST majority of cases, even at the FFOP AGers, that's not the limiter, it's the endurance component, and the trails are excellent for that.

Deena Kastor and other Olympian hopefuls did a lot of training on trails in their primes, and raced fine on the roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like everything else, I think it's a matter of progression toward specificity. Trail running is great for building strength and stability, enabling you to run more without breaking down, not to mention enjoyment. But if you're training for a flat race on pavement, as you get closer to the race, you probably ought to get used to running on a harder surface and running on the flats where every stride is the same (rather than the variation of the trails).
Both trails and road have their own difficulties, just have the right mix of the two at the appropriate times of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol yes trail running is very run. Do a trail ultra and see how run it is
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run mostly trail ultras now, but train almost entirely on roads.

Your heart rate on trails tends to be much lower and also very inconsistent mile to mile. Road marathoning is consistency there are no breaks or "easy" spots. The relentless pounding of the same muscle groups make it different than the too steep climbs and harrowing descents.

I love both and you can definitely train one and do the other, but at some point to have your best race you must train the medium you race.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:

Your heart rate on trails tends to be much lower and also very inconsistent mile to mile. Road marathoning is consistency there are no breaks or "easy" spots. The relentless pounding of the same muscle groups make it different than the too steep climbs and harrowing descents.

I love both and you can definitely train one and do the other, but at some point to have your best race you must train the medium you race.

Not all "trails" have steep climbs and harrowing descents, most probably don't even have a climb to begin with. A "trail" could be a gravel path or the grass beside the cycling path. And for the record do you not want to have your best race then?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
linhardt wrote:

Not all "trails" have steep climbs and harrowing descents, most probably don't even have a climb to begin with. A "trail" could be a gravel path or the grass beside the cycling path. And for the record do you not want to have your best race then?

I am trying to do 50 states mostly on trail. I don't have the ability to run technical(or even easy) trails near my house.

Right now I am racing/running for "fun". My next goal race doesn't start until my BQ attempts beginning October of 2015.

Quote Reply
Re: Does offroad running "count" as much as road running? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh cool how many states have you done so far?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
33 over 9 years.

If I finish the 55K north of Dallas in December I will have 6 this year(NC, VA, SD, VT, NM, TX). Around $17K in travel and entry fees so far and I still have the expensive states to go(Hawaii and Alaska).

It is really cool running in states you might not otherwise visit and since most are on trail you see the best parts of states. The only thing that sucks is that national parks generally won't allow races so the best you do is national forests and state parks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
Staz wrote:
33 over 9 years.

If I finish the 55K north of Dallas in December I will have 6 this year(NC, VA, SD, VT, NM, TX). Around $17K in travel and entry fees so far and I still have the expensive states to go(Hawaii and Alaska).

It is really cool running in states you might not otherwise visit and since most are on trail you see the best parts of states. The only thing that sucks is that national parks generally won't allow races so the best you do is national forests and state parks.

Damn, that's a lot of cash. You're getting there though, have fun in Dallas!
Quote Reply

Prev Next