Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel choice: heavy & aero vs light & ?
Quote | Reply
My season-closer tomorrow is on a technical course: the three laps consist of a total of 17 hairpin u-turns and 25 90° turns, in only 7.5 miles. It will be a considerable amount of accelerating and decelerating.

My dilemma is this: I finally got around to weighing my race wheels, (FP80s: alum brake track with carbon fairing, with a disc cover in the back) only to find the pair comes in at a whopping 3415 grams (with 4000 S's and cassette)

My alternative is my old beater stock Shimano WH-R550 wheels, at only 2850g.

Without further lab testing, I can't say for sure which set is going to be "faster" on this course. The FP's win for aero, but won''t the Shimanos actually accelerate better? What's the balance?

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice: heavy & aero vs light & ? [Andy_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of references on wheel weight vs aero:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...nd_Inertia_2106.html

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ailbag_-_4_3767.html

If that doesn't convince you, put the course into bestbikesplit.com and let it do the math for you.

I can assure you, you will want the heavy aero wheels.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice: heavy & aero vs light & ? [Andy_M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Light wheels feel faster. Aero wheels are faster.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice: heavy & aero vs light & ? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

This deserves to be a sig line.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:

IME, aero wheels feel faster as well...especially in accelerating at speed.

Maybe it should be: light wheels look faster?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice: heavy & aero vs light & ? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

IME, aero wheels feel faster as well...especially in accelerating at speed.

Maybe it should be: light wheels look faster?

They do feel faster at speed, but most people judge the acceleration from low speed/stop. My Shiv with a disc and a 90mm front is a fast bike, but feels pretty sluggish (compared to my roadie) starting off from stop lights, at the top of climbs, and doing 180 turn in races.

I always thought it was dumb how pro sprinters opted for light wheels (for acceleration), when they mostly sprint from high speeds (65kph leadouts) and don't actually accelerate that much (only 1-3 kph). It shows how the perception works, and it's taken a lot of time and data to start to change things. Even today, most of the sprinters are running 50mm front/rear. At a min. they could go to a 90mm rear.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some pros have run very deep wheels on their road race setups before- David Millar at Paris Tours several years ago, and Cavendish did run 808s for some time. somehow doesn't like it. I'm sure he has his reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel choice: heavy & aero vs light & ? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Results aren't posted yet, but the day turned out well enough. I stuck with the 80/80-w/-cover combo and it worked fine.

I started in the lead pack on the first run and came into T1 sixth. I transition well and picked up two more spots. The bike course, as I mentioned, was extremely technical with no long stretch to tuck and hammer: 17 u-turns and 25 90° rights. I caught third at a u-turn and traded the spot two more times before i was able to out-handle him through the hairpins. I was very slowly catching second, but it took another fast transition for me to take 2nd overall. That guy was still on my heels, and I wasn't prepared to run sub-sixes to hold him off, so i let him have it back. Other guy caught me just before the turnaround. He was last year's winner, and has an average USAT 2014 score seven points higher than me, so i was very pleased to come in within 30 seconds of him.

Fun times, thanks for the input guys!

Ex Race Director, put out of business by the Rona
Quote Reply