Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tribikes with smaller wheels
Quote | Reply
Why don't we see more bikes similar to the time trial bikes made in the mid eighties (used in 100 km TTT world championships and Olympics by the Swedish national team)

The reason we don't see it in bike racing is that 24" wheels are banned by the UCI. But are they in triathlon?[/img]

These bikes had Shimano Dura AX brakes, Modolo Kronos levers, back-turned forks to minimize air drag (and to be able to get a better drag from the next guy in the Team Time Trial).

I wouldn't recommend wheel covers in the front wheels, but an open 24" in front?
Quote Reply
Re: Tribikes with smaller wheels [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the main reason is that it limits your wheel and tire choice while offering no advantage for average sized people. Rolling resistance may also be higher. Lots of discussion on this board about 700 vs. 650 in the old days.
Quote Reply
Re: Tribikes with smaller wheels [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The people in the national team where between 1,80-1,95m tall (as one can see on the frame size). These bikes were very fast in the day. 24" Vittoria CX tubulars were available and since the wheels had covers on, the actual wheel build itself was not a vital factor. Yes, the rolling resistance is somewhat higher, but the other advantages were deemed higher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the photo, it's a beautiful machine and the first I remember seeing one.

You might like some of the data in the article "650 v 700C" on our web site:
http://www.cervelo.com/...aller-cyclists-.html

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Tribikes with smaller wheels [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Damon!

I raced TTs with a 27" wheel and a 24" front wheel myself in the late eighties. There is a significant difference in size between the 26" and 24". Reading thru the Cervelo link I'm still surprised there aren't triathlon alternatives with 24" wheels.

One significant difference I remember learning the hard way was that I couldn't have the same tire pressure in the 24" front wheel as in the 27" back wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet the main reason those where used in a 100km team time trial is that the team members can get just that little bit closer together when drafting...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tribikes with smaller wheels [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, but they were used with great success in individual TTs as well
Quote Reply
Re: Tribikes with smaller wheels [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a 5'2" triathlete, I appreciate that you still give me the option to buy a 650 option, instead of having to go custom!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Tribikes with smaller wheels [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Sally! :-)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tire. Availability.
Quote Reply