Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leaky Heart Valve and Performance
Quote | Reply
Three years ago I did an echo and doctor found that one of my heart valves does not fully close. Since this is not uncommon in healthy people he did not raise any concerns. He encouraged me to continue with the sport, but don't over-do it (the metric for over-doing it in his words would be >2 marathons a year).

Finished an IM that year and did mostly Oly and/or marathons since. I seem to be getting slightly faster than I was, and yet I feel that compared to the form that I'm in - my running times are on the slow side (44 10k in an olympic, 21:40 standalone 5k, 3:40 marathon).

For the reference I'm 30 YO have been doing sport for 7 years, 8-12 hrs/week on average.

Does a leaky heart valve have a measurable impact on performance? Do any of you know that you have a leaky heart valve, and do you feel that it is holding you back?
Quote Reply
Re: Leaky Heart Valve and Performance [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe this is what Torbjørn Sindballe had and it ended his career.

His case may have been more extreme though – don't want to scare you. Regular testing should be done.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which valve, and how leaky? Also stenotic? Can you post or PM echo findings?

Hoping your doctor is a cardiologist, familiar with endurance sports. Otherwise, I suggest you consult one.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Three years ago I did an echo and doctor found that one of my heart valves does not fully close. Since this is not uncommon in healthy people he did not raise any concerns. He encouraged me to continue with the sport, but don't over-do it (the metric for over-doing it in his words would be >2 marathons a year).

Finished an IM that year and did mostly Oly and/or marathons since. I seem to be getting slightly faster than I was, and yet I feel that compared to the form that I'm in - my running times are on the slow side (44 10k in an olympic, 21:40 standalone 5k, 3:40 marathon).

For the reference I'm 30 YO have been doing sport for 7 years, 8-12 hrs/week on average.

Does a leaky heart valve have a measurable impact on performance? Do any of you know that you have a leaky heart valve, and do you feel that it is holding you back?

not enough info to go on. aortic or mitral? Torbjorn had a bicuspid aortic, which is often the case with young people having issues (that's is also what I believe Schwartzenegger had). But yes definitely get a cardiologist who is familiar with endurance type sports. Where do you live?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get it checked out by a good cardiologist. I have a leaky heart valve and had to have surgery at age 21 due to heart enlargement causing my EF to drop below normal. 3 years ago my cardiologist told me I was going to need surgery immediately, I went for a second opinion and have since completed (4) 70.3 and doing my first full next weekend at age 37, while watching my EF rise. Back to your question, I only wish I could blame my slowness on my leaky heart valve. Best of luck to you..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found out this summer that I also have a leaky valve. The cardiologist is aware that I do tri and said that he just wants to keep an eye on it every 6 months. This is my 3rd yr do tri (I'm now 49). I have been getting faster each year but I would expect that since I still relatively new to the sport. I haven't had to adjust any of my training because of the condition.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just get faster" - Greg LeMond
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which valve? That's a pretty big piece of info you left out.

I've had it my entire life. 10 ironmans. no i don't feel like it impacts my performance. Stress echo yearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bicuspid aortic valve that was first diagnosed when I was five years old. Other than having regular annual check-ups with a cardiologist I was given no restrictions on my activities while growing up.

I was completely asymptomatic until age 47 when the valve started to calcify and leak more. I developed chronic fatigue, shortness of breath and fluid build up in my lungs.

Had open heart surgery to get a mechanical valve in December 2000. Post-op my cardiologist encouraged me to get as much aerobic exercise as I could handle.

One thing led to another and with my cardiologist's blessing, I did my first triathlon three years later in February 2004.

My cardiac function is fine and my RHR has dropped from 72bpm to 42bpm over the past ten years.

I've had a good outcome but every case is different. Best advice I can offer is to do your research and discuss things with your doctor.

Best wishes
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Leaky Heart Valve and Performance [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations for a GP and a cardiologist who are familiar with endurance sports in Chicago (loop or nearby).
Quote Reply
Re: Leaky Heart Valve and Performance [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's tricuspid valve. Just got checked out for another issue, and Dr said there is a murmur due to this, but was not concerned about it. Also did an EKG which came back fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Any recommendations for a GP and a cardiologist who are familiar with endurance sports in Chicago (loop or nearby).

Definately do this with your next visit. I get full testing every year given that I have some family history and a really low EF. Last year I was in the 35% range and there are times I am beyond tired for no reason. I can tell when I need to dial it back as I can't come anywhere near typical intervals (swim bike and run). Dial the training back and I feel better. Otherwise healthy middle aged male. It does have an impact on performance and acts as a body limiter as well. Get a good doc and stick with him/her.
Quote Reply