Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so most ftp test are conducted inside due to safety and ease?
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm not worried about it. A good workout is a good workout, regardless of the numbers."

Perceived effort isn't a good way to determine a good workout. If you do 2x20'@250 watts outside but inside are only able to do 2x20'@220, you aren't getting much of a workout inside even if it felt hard and there are pools of sweat under you when you finished. Put another way, you aren't going to get faster doing intervals in zone 1.

If I were you, I'd first make sure I took the suggestions to have adequate cooling, and then I'd begin with shorter intervals...maybe start with 1' and work on your ability to hold the higher wattage despite how it feels.

Actually, if I were you I'd ditch the trainer and just ride outside all winter.

Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This was a nice read. I think the first comment on this article has some merit. The fact that the flywheel of the trainer slows down much faster, means that you have to spend a little extra wattage on accelerating it. I can see this being 10-20 watts (just guessing).
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
Lack of outside stimulation make the same power more taxing mentally.
Less air flow means less evaporative cooling means you'll be hotter, thus less power made.

You are right, it does not matter how tight you crank down the wheel.

I don't think it's a mental issue. I think if you connect a machine to the pedal that applies a constant force riding on trainer or riding outside, the power readings inside would be lower.

It is a mental issue if your equipment is OK. If you get the adequate cooling there isn't any good reason why indoor/outdoor power should be much different. <5% difference. My 2x20 power on the rollers has been within 5-10 watts of the same workout all uphill.

Did you ensure to calibrate your powermeter? What kind of power meter do you have? Did you re-calibrate after a small bit to ensure temperature has no effect?

It's not mental. That I am sure of. I just have to spin just 1 minute at the same power readings as outdoor riding to be able to tell that more exertion is required to maintain the same wattage.
I have a power tap G3. It recalibrates automatically, but I can check a manual calibration. My trainer is setup in the garage with the garage doors open and 2 fans blowing on me. I wonder if there is some loss of power with wheel based power meters on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
William Ockham wrote:
There is a good reason why indoor sustainable power output on a trainer should be different to outdoor power - inertia. It is very common for some people to have considerably less power on a turbo despite adequate cooling. It affects some more than others. Even trainers with different inertia qualities make a difference to sustainable power output.

This study disagrees. I'll concede that if you only train outdoors and then jump on a cheap mag trainer you will have some muscular coordination issues. After a bit of adaptation you should be able to get up to outdoors powers levels.

As a thought experiment: If a rider only rode indoors on a cheap mag trainer. Lets also say this rider was well motivated and became well trained. On his first outside ride I wouldn't expect him to have dramatically higher power just because he now has more inertia.

We also don't know what kind of trainer the OP has. Could be a fluid2 or kurt kenetic. If so, then inertia is not a problem as these trainers have enough.

Good points, I should have said I was basing my comments on what I have found and the experiences of other cyclists who regularly train indoors and not on published studies.

This article covers it well.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.co.uk/...harged-training.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
William Ockham wrote:

There is a good reason why indoor sustainable power output on a trainer should be different to outdoor power - inertia. It is very common for some people to have considerably less power on a turbo despite adequate cooling. It affects some more than others. Even trainers with different inertia qualities make a difference to sustainable power output.

This study disagrees. I'll concede that if you only train outdoors and then jump on a cheap mag trainer you will have some muscular coordination issues. After a bit of adaptation you should be able to get up to outdoors powers levels.

As a thought experiment: If a rider only rode indoors on a cheap mag trainer. Lets also say this rider was well motivated and became well trained. On his first outside ride I wouldn't expect him to have dramatically higher power just because he now has more inertia.

We also don't know what kind of trainer the OP has. Could be a fluid2 or kurt kenetic. If so, then inertia is not a problem as these trainers have enough.

I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. I have done all of my training outside for the past 14 months since I live in FL and weather is great for biking. So muscle adjustment might be a viable explanation. I'm not sure if that study agrees or disagrees with anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
"I'm not worried about it. A good workout is a good workout, regardless of the numbers."

Perceived effort isn't a good way to determine a good workout. If you do 2x20'@250 watts outside but inside are only able to do 2x20'@220, you aren't getting much of a workout inside even if it felt hard and there are pools of sweat under you when you finished. Put another way, you aren't going to get faster doing intervals in zone 1.

If I were you, I'd first make sure I took the suggestions to have adequate cooling, and then I'd begin with shorter intervals...maybe start with 1' and work on your ability to hold the higher wattage despite how it feels.

Actually, if I were you I'd ditch the trainer and just ride outside all winter.

Haha. I wish 220W was my zone 1. I do 99% of my riding outdoors. It's something I noticed and was curious about. But I am planning on doing some work on the trainer in the winter months, mostly to save travel time to and from the trail.
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [William Ockham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
William Ockham wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
William Ockham wrote:

Good points, I should have said I was basing my comments on what I have found and the experiences of other cyclists who regularly train indoors and not on published studies.

This article covers it well.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.co.uk/...harged-training.html

Thank you. That is very clear and well written. I think it answered my question.
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it a little easier indoors actually but I train indoors at least 60% of the time so I got used to it. When I'm on the trainer it's easy to maintain power and it requires less focus because the resistance is constant (no wind, elevation, traffic etc...) and once you settle into your right RPM range you're all set. Next step forward would be ERG mode on a Computrainer or similar and then it's all easy... just turn pedals over.
As far as comfort goes, use the biggest fan you can or two and a bunch of towels to wipe sweat off.
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've experienced the exact same thing as the OP. My FTP outdoors is 250, but indoors it is around 220-230 watts on the trainer (CycleOps SuperMagneto Pro). 250 watts on the trainer feels like 275-300 on the road. It's not just the effect of cooling - throughout the whole summer I mostly trained indoors because it's actually COOLER to ride inside with a fan blowing on me (77 degrees, air-conditioned) than it is to ride outdoors (60% humidity with temps in mid-90's, heat index 100+ - it feels ok when the wind is blowing but man, when you stop it is pure misery). If the power discrepancy was due to body temperature then I should be able to produce more power indoors. I live in Houston, TX by the way.

So the past two months I took a break from riding due to a knee issue. My first time back on the road was no problem and felt great. Then the next day I rode the trainer for the first time in two months and it was pretty brutal - it's like I had to learn how to "ride a trainer" all over again. It felt like I was riding through sand. There is definitely a huge difference between the inertia of a fluid/magnetic trainer compared to the road, and for me it takes a long time to get used to riding the trainer after a long layoff.

I just placed an order last night for a Lemond Revolution wind trainer (the super loud one with the most realistic road-feel of all of the trainers). I'm interested in seeing if there is a big difference in the power I can produce on the Lemond vs. my SuperMagneto Pro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
This study disagrees.

It does not. All it says that under specific conditions: "Crank angle and bilateral pedal force and angle data were collected from ten subjects instructed to pedal steadily (i.e., constant speed across cycles) and smoothly (i.e., constant speed within a cycle) against both inertias at a constant workload". This is not what is happening in real life.

I actually happen to have have exactly the same type of equipment that can simulate inertia forces and bike movements of real riding or just bring it down to the level of cheapo resistance trainer. The difference is quite significant. I tested it on few people but I have no time/resources/inclination to turn it into a real study.

Also if cooling is inadequate it will of course skew FTP as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
Watt Matters wrote:
chrisbint wrote:
KingMidas wrote:
I have my outdoor 20 min FTP at 235, unadjusted.

FTP is based on an hour, not 20 minutes.

FTP correlates well with either, but is neither.

I appreciate I was nit-picking a little, but unless I am massively mistaken (along with a fair percentage of this site), FTP is based on an hour.

Care to clarify why you think it is not as all the references I can find say it is, and there are quite a few.

I am genuinely curious.

Thanks
The power you can sustain for about an hour is very good indicator of your FTP, but FTP is more of a conceptual value than a specific duration point on the mean maximal power curve.

Tests for estimating FTP as suggested by Andy Coggan lists among them the quasi steady state power sustained during 40km ITT as the most likely to be accurate. Whether such a TT takes an hour or not is pretty moot though as the mean maximal power duration curve is fairly flat around those durations. And that's the point - the maximal power sustainable in a quasi steady state for a long-ish time, it's not a specific duration.
Quote Reply
Re: Power on Trainer vs Outdoors [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

kostya416 wrote:
Pantelones wrote:
This study disagrees.

It does not. All it says that under specific conditions: "Crank angle and bilateral pedal force and angle data were collected from ten subjects instructed to pedal steadily (i.e., constant speed across cycles) and smoothly (i.e., constant speed within a cycle) against both inertias at a constant workload". This is not what is happening in real life.

I actually happen to have have exactly the same type of equipment that can simulate inertia forces and bike movements of real riding or just bring it down to the level of cheapo resistance trainer. The difference is quite significant. I tested it on few people but I have no time/resources/inclination to turn it into a real study.

Ok, well there are a couple more studies that suggest that inertial load has little effect on power output. Study 1, Study 2.

This study only suggests that inertia changes the chosen optimal cadence but says nothing on maximal sustainable power.

This study says that even though the muscle coordination/technique is different there is no change in efficiency between some trainer types.

This study suggests that PE on a trainer indoors is higher than outdoors at a given aerobic load.

To be clear, it is my thought that after some adaptation to the different technique required for an indoors trainer with low inertia the power differences between indoors and outdoors should be near identical. I'll be the first to say that true road feel is preferable... but a question is: Is it preferable because that is what we are fully adapted to OR because the inertia present in road conditions allows maximal output and efficiency. I think it is the former and not the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
It's not mental. That I am sure of. I just have to spin just 1 minute at the same power readings as outdoor riding to be able to tell that more exertion is required to maintain the same wattage.
I have a power tap G3. It recalibrates automatically, but I can check a manual calibration. My trainer is setup in the garage with the garage doors open and 2 fans blowing on me. I wonder if there is some loss of power with wheel based power meters on the trainer?

So the powertap only re calibrates automatically if you are coasting. I am unsure how much distance/revolutions/time before the PT will auto zero. There is a chance that even if you stop pedaling on the trainer it isn't enough time for the PT to autocal.

Just speculation, it might be possible that your skewer and trainer clamping force might be causing some resistance in the PT hub (bearings or deflection of some part) that the PT hub isn't reporting. I can't think of how this would happen without it being obvious though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
To be clear, it is my thought that after some adaptation to the different technique required for an indoors trainer with low inertia the power differences between indoors and outdoors should be near identical...

Ok. I can sort of believe in this one. But then again human's muscles learn patterns very well and once the pattern changes they need to readjust if they can. Put it this way, when one has a race coming and that race happened to be long and steep climb they'd be way better of to prepare by riding in the mountains rather then on some flats.
Last edited by: kostya416: Oct 25, 14 18:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Airflow and lack of stimuli make it seem harder. Which makes it actually harder. And thus better for your eventual outside rides.
Quote Reply

Prev Next