Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scott Foil or Blue AC1 ?
Quote | Reply
Finally ready to bite the bullet on a new road bike, and can get a deal on either a 2013 Scott Foil 20 with Ultegra, or 2014 Blue AC1 EX with SRAM Force. They both seem to be great values for my budget, and am just curious for everybody's thoughts. Which one would you buy and why?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil or Blue AC1 ? [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Foil - I love mine. Stiff and fast.

Sarasota Storm Tri Club
Off Constantly Race Team
Challenge Factory Team - PM me for a discount code for 2015 Challenge Family Americas races.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil or Blue AC1 ? [triguysrq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a Scott, can't comment on the Blue. Stiff, fast and light race bike with nice neutral race geometry (ie front end is not too steep on lower sizes, etc) and apparently decent aerodynamics for a road frame. So, if that's what you are looking for, it's a darn good one.

If you can, I'd recommend trying both to see what speaks to you. If you can't do that, definitely look at the geometry tables to make sure the one you are getting serious about is a good match for your dimensions.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had two Foils. Fantastic bikes. Quite comfy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Foil 20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to own both before ...:)

Foil is stiffer and felt like alum sometimes. The BB is very stiff ..i'm 155 lbs and i didn't feel flex at all while standing up
But Blue AC1 is not too far off and more aero ..i felt faster like riding my S2. Not many ride Blue so..it's easy to stand out..in group. :)

I feel that Blue is more compliance/smoother in longer rides (i did double century/day last summer) and still felt fresh but i don't want to think about riding the Foil 200 miles.

it's my humble opinion so would be up to you... i prefer Sram over Shimano unless the groups are Di2 or DA9000.

Formerly known SCENERYNW
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil or Blue AC1 ? [SCENERYNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multiple 200, 300 and 400 mile rides on the Foil with luggage. No issues, very comfy. Tire choice is far more important in this regard than frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil or Blue AC1 ? [Hoshie99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I can't get on a Blue, but will be able to try a buddy's Foil in the same size. I'm taking a little chance by comparing them both to a Madone and S3, both of which I felt very good on size-wise. The Blue and Scott numbers are quite close to the other two, with the exception of Blue's stack, which is 55.7 compared 57-58 for all the others.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil or Blue AC1 ? [SCENERYNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew there would be somebody with miles on both! Your comments are similar to a couple other folks I've talked to regarding the ride quality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The foil is a seriously stiff and amazing bike. I absolutely love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Scott Foil is the stiffest bike I have ever ridden and don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. Doesn't flex one bit and is quite aero. Also its pretty light and accelerates great out of corners. My pick is the Scott Foil all day!!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Foil or Blue AC1 ? [JasonW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a Foil 20, Foil Team Issue, and now an Addict Team Issue.

Love all three. Comments...Foil 20 was a little softer than I anticipated, but I only really noticed this when I switched to the Team Issue. (20 was hit by a car and snapped in two...taking the beating instead of the rider...love that frame! :) ) However, on the 20, I could sometimes get brake rub on hard climbs out of the saddle. Using all the same components and wheels (well, a new rear wheel...but same model as was on the Foil 20), the Foil Team issue never had any brake rub. If you can afford it, in my view, the HMX carbon is worth it over the HMF on the 20.

That all said, my Foil Team Issue also had a rather unpleasant encounter with a car...and wavering between another Foil Team Issue or the Addict, I went with the Addict. For me, that bike is a revelation and one I have an abiding love for! It's just a little more forgiving, I descend on it faster (for reasons unknown to me). If I had to buy the Foil or Addict again, I would go with the Addict.

Good luck...these are both great bikes you are looking at!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been racing road on an AC1 SL for the last two seasons. I got one of the clearance blowouts on the frame when they went out of business. Its a great bike for what I paid but I don't think they are worth the full MSRP that is asked. Keep in mind this is coming from an owner of the first gen frame - it looks like they addressed many (but not all) of the main issues in the second generation.

Overall it's not bad but there are some little things that were not super well thought through:
- cable entry too close to the stem (cables rub on stem bolts, especially if you put barrel adjusters here)
- requires full length rear brake housing through the frame (would have been really easy to do cable stops here)
- shift quality suffers due to very tight bends in the cable routing, especially at the head tube and at the BB. The cable guide at the BB isn't well positioned and lets cables cut into the frame material
- BB30. I'm all for 30mm crank spindles but I have had the creak of death with two different sets of shop installed bearings.
- Rear brake cable housing (noodle) hits your leg on every pedal stroke unless you zip tie it to the seatpost clamp.

All that said Blue definitely did get some things very right on this bike:
- Geometry (at least for me)
- Wheelbase is a little longer than a typical race bike, not necessarily a bad thing
- Very comfortable over long rides
- Adjustable FD hanger is a nice touch

Like I said they have (I think) addressed the majority of these issues with the second gen (2012 or 2013 and on) bikes but it is still BB30 and the rear end design hasn't changed. There is definitely still some low hanging fruit on their design. I have had excellent race results on this bike and if you can pick it up on a deal you will come out ok.
Quote Reply