Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Fleck wrote:
If it's true that he was doing drugs while he was competing in running how is it different from "cycling" doping? All recreational drugs are on the banned list so if you want to be technical about it... yeah, he doped.

I have to wonder about some of this.

Ross Rebagliati was caught with traces of marijuana in his blood after after winning the Gold Medal in the dual slalom snowboarding event. Think about it for a second - would a drug, that slows your reaction time as well as rendering other negative effects on the body and the CNS, be looked upon as an ADVANTAGE, in an event where you are hurtling down an icy slope at 50+ miles/hour, having to make split second decisions and pushing muscles to there limits?

Just saying. Just asking.

Not saying it's a good thing to do, but taking a barbituate can actually increase performance. I can't find the study for the life of me, but the finding was something like professional drivers were actually faster on a closed course after a few drinks of alcohol. ...The reason being is that they (the drunk drivers) took more risks out on the course that sober people wouldn't! So, a drug like alcohol or marijuana can slow your mind, but that doesn't mean that it will alway be to the detriment of performance.

Only time I have ever been KOM on Strava was on a descent on a post lunch ride after having a few beers at lunch. So perhaps there is something to this...
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
Are they facts or excuses? Obviously things have not gone his way, and when that happens typically there is a reason for it. Personally, I find the problem with sports these days is athletes just aren't honest at all because they get the 'excuse' attack. Maybe he could spin some of those issues into a more positive light, but personally I like guys like him that don't have a filter.

I know what you mean about Starky being direct - but I still think Starky has a filter. Have listed to his whole interview on TRS and he dodges a lot of questions. Not all and he can be very blunt but he does dodge issues or give veiled responses. List to his response to questions about the Kona bike record. No, I mean yes, I mean no...I mean maybe... I mean of course....then goes on to whine about how little money is in triathlon. Which is a veiled way of saying yes he had an incentive....but he is uncomfortable saying that out loud. Does this on multiple topics.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you can really report at the end of the race are the facts which should be 'the race went well. there is nothing more I could have done.'

If you are honest with yourself that is usually the only answer given what can and does go wrong in a race and what you can control.

that to me is the beauty of triathlon in that it is an adventure where you have to improvise given the conditions and circumstance at a particular moment in time.

no excuses.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with that and that's what I'm trying to say. No excuses. A lot of the athletes here can't wait to tell you about how their injury held them up or how miss Cleo wasn't on their side race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [CgyTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh man, i just got directed here from the collins cup thread.

this just has not aged well at all.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
oh man, i just got directed here from the collins cup thread.

this just has not aged well at all.

I'm sure it will continue to age poorly.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Starykowicz Excuses [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Especially now that Starykowicz is busy saying that he never took a PED and in any case the substance is now not on the banned list. Not that he chose to ignore repeated warnings about seeking to race without a TUE, that the substance he took to avoid a co-pay was then on the banned list (and is still conditional in its use - it’s not like it’s gone open slather), and not a word about his own protestations that TUEs should be banned.
Quote Reply

Prev Next