Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [ctguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roger, thanks for the reply. I will just add that now using a Velotron has taken my trainer experience to the top level. And as I continue, it seems, everyday see someone posting on ST about a bike accident,
my wife says it was the best investment I have ever made, to stay safe. 7 days a week on the velotron trainer with powercranks. Wonder if that has helped me race better year after year so far?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loving the new power tap g3
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [ctguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply Roger. Did I meet you at ITU Chicago by chance? In any event, I plan to order a Computrainer with a slocum stand from High Sierra Cycle tomorrow (unless you have input otherwise... you can PM me) and I'm very excited. While I have your attention, do you recommend a trainer tire for the rear or could I get away with something like a Gatorskin?
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roger, just another vote of confidence for CompuTrainer and all you do. We had our first winter session tonight and everything worked perfectly, even though I have a few 8001 load generators and at least one 8001 handlebar controller in the mix. We run everything; 3CD, Multirider, Coaching, ErgVideo, Tour de Giro, RacerMate One, and PerfPRO Studio, and other than a few software glitches (when you run 6 trainers with a moderate PC, it's bound to hiccup now and again), the hardware just keeps performing. When I have a bearing problem, I just install one of my backup Cat 6000 load generators (now, that's old stuff, but still working as advertised) and we're back in business. Now, if only I had a use for that old Commodore 64 computer.....ha! The point is, CompuTrainer is bulletproof, day after day, session after session, and nothing else comes remotely close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my computrainer 10 to 12 years ago used from an old racermate employee and it still works. I only use erg mode. I ride 2 to 5 hours a week on it for most of those years.
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll weigh in on the tire, since we ride 6 CTs twice a week. A trainer tire is a known entity; that is, you know what it will do. It will work and won't shed rubber and if you have a spare wheel that you can install a trainer tire on and use, much the better. If you're swapping back and forth between road wheel and trainer wheel, you may have to tune your derailleur if the wheels don't have the same hub width or the cassettes are spaced on the freehub differently. A minor tweak, but I find it annoying when that happens, so take a little time to make the wheels truly interchangeable and you'll be happier on the road and on the trainer. We ride Cycleops trainer tires, and they seem to be the same mold (and likely composition) as a Kenda Kriterium (and have the same mold number imprinted in the casing)

A regular tire will work perfectly if you're riding in ERG mode where speed doesn't matter (and shifting doesn't matter, either) because it's all about power and speed is irrelevant. For those ERG workouts, ride at 15-17 mph (by shifting into the little chainring up front and a large cog on the rear) and your tire will do just fine. When riding courses, where speed and shifting matter, and where you'll be riding much faster (especially on the downhills), then some tires do better than others.

From our experience, Continental Gatorskins don't like to be ridden on the CompuTrainer at faster speeds. And they slip on the roller more than other tires. It may be the added plies in the tread, don't exactly know. But we've had several Gatorskins shed rubber on the CompuTrainer. Same for Continental Grand Prix, especially when new. The Grand Prix seems to have a lot of oil in the rubber when new, and they leave a lot of rubber on the roller. When they've been used for several months, they do just fine. Continental Ultra Sport, Ultra Race, and Grand Prix 4000S and 4000S II work just fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won a CT in a draw through Multisports Canada last winter. Thanks guys! The draw was for people who filled out a race impressions survey and I filled it out not for the draws, but because I love the MSC races.

My original trainer was a Fluid2, which was fine, but I didn't love it. For a weaker cyclist like me, I found it challenging to get into the right gear to hold the right power, and found the jump from gear to gear was too much of a power jump. Frustrating sometimes.,

Last year, I took a year off from training/racing, so it sat in a box. So, while I've owned a CT longer, I've only been a user for 4 weeks. I'm a total gear-head, so imagine my surprise when I open the box and it's FULL of wires. It all looks so boxy and vintage! Once I got the thing built and hooked up, I'm a fan! I still don't like the wires, but I get the advantage now reading this thread. The ERG mode is fantastic, and a huge advantage compared to the Fluid2.

I wanted to follow a more focused, structured training plan, so I've linked it up to TrainerRoad, and with only minor issues (HR didn't work with ANT when Garmin Connect was running in the background) it's been great. I have yet to look at SpinScan or RacerMate One, but that will come in the future. I like the ability to put it in ERG mode and effectively shut my brain down.

If I had not won it, I'm not sure I could stomach the $$ for it, but now that I've got it, I'm enjoying it. We'll see how that training pays off in the next couple months while I hibernate. Maybe I'll pull a Cody Beals? I can only dream!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctguru wrote:
I'm finding this intriguing to hear so many positive posts about wires. I usually try not to chime in every time someone posts here, if at all, and usually is too long-winded when I do, but I'd like to ring in if you'll let me. If anyone has heard from people their frustration with wires, wires, wires - it's me.

Hope I've not bored you or irritated anyone else.

Quite the contrary! I appreciate you chiming in to give some perspective. I had no idea that the multi rider environment was such a large part of your business. It is interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
A trainer tire is a known entity; that is, you know what it will do. It will work and won't shed rubber and if you have a spare wheel that you can install a trainer tire on and use, much the better.

Agreed. I recently wore out a trainer tire after four years of use (probably average 120 hours per year), but I've worn out regular tires much faster. Some people like to use old tires, which is probably fine and practical but I have an old training wheel and older bike that I have set up semi-permanently on the trainer. The trainer tire is one less thing to think about it after it is set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had Computrainers for about a decade now. The base product has always been solid. I don't really care about the wires between the controller and the load generator. Or the wires from the controller to my PC. But the wires from the controller to the bike always sucked. And the one piece of this system that has always been a kludge is what you guys used for heartrate! No other part of this system has caused more grief than heartrate. The wired earclip and then a multitude of Polar heartrate straps and receiver dongles/wires. I finally went to a third-party solution for ANT+ heartrate. At the same time, I dumped the wired cadence pickup and went to an ANT+ cadence solution. The huge upside is that we can move bikes in and out of the trainer without screwing around with wires, etc. Downside is no more SpinScan. Not a big deal to me as it isn't available in ERG mode and I don't run the CT any other way.

My understanding is that Racermate's current approach to HR offers ANT+ through the RM1 software which essentially duplicates what I'm doing now. This implementation will always require a computer for the ANT+ solution. It would be cool to see the CT controller evolve over time to receive ANT+ and BT Smart data for the HR and Cadence channels. This would probably kill SpinScan for wireless cadence options - at least under ANT+ from what I understand about the data transfer rate required for SS.
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
And as I continue, it seems, everyday see someone posting on ST about a bike accident, my wife says it was the best investment I have ever made, to stay safe.

X2 - my wife worries every time I ride outside and encourages me to ride on my CT.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using the way-back-time-machine HR, using an ear clip was way ahead of its time. It actually got some accreditation in science journals way back then as a world-first. Finding a good replacement for it was a chore - to say the least. With this I'll agree. I'm fairly confident the system with current systems works very well with Polar at the controller level - after finally getting the correct circuitry integrated into the controller hardware, but prior to this it was Polar receiver triggering the ear-clip circuitry, and it worked, but not as well as it could have. Ant+ HR is PC-only now, but could go internal too with no risk to physics.

Cadence not working right, in any method, as you say, kills SpinScan. Not to open a pro/con debate over SpinScan, it is very well liked and utilized by a lot of users. It's used maybe more at the beginning of use (those new to the system) to help them see 'what-is', but many feel it can be forgotten about once you know that information. Many use it every ride or weekly. Many argue that it is nonsense because it is only anecdotal that it helps anyone - not having any white-paper studies run on it. But, I've always argued that isn't us to invite out of fear the results would be clouded by our request for them. But I do know the need for fast reading of cadence to make SpinScan work has keep us from entertaining the wireless methods so far - for not supporting a key feature we feel, as do many others, is important to the product feature set. The Puck was to negate any of this, and does, if you get it. Still wired, but not attached to the bike.

I have to come back to the need to cover home and MultiRider systems, which underlies a lot of what we struggle with. Considering, at Interbike this year, MultiRider interest was higher than ever - even in the advent of other competing products claiming multi-player functions, it is pretty clear the robust nature of the CompuTrainer system in this type of environment is very important to businesses thinking to invest large sums of money into creating indoor cycling studios. It is well-proven to last a long time, and so many improvements (those aforementioned ones not so easily seen) all came out of this use-type.

There are some who hope for changes to come, and those of us who travel these sites pass everything we see and read and hear along. I think the announcement made at Interbike about opening the software development is hopefully going to be to everyone's benefit and shows a change in business-as-usual. As anyone who's used a CT as long as some of you have know we did eventually abandon the DOS on XT, Commodore 64, the Nintendo, Windows 3.1, PC1, etc., etc.

8 )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to find out how to get an Ant+ heart rate monitor to work. I've searched on the Computrainer support site but can't find anything. Please can you point me in the right direction. I do use a PC whenever I ride.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to a bunch of the replies in this tread? It was great info and I was going to try it out on my trainer.

Roger, if for some reason dan deleted, could you send them to me on my email. It was great info about trainers I want to keep in my records.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using mine since '08, and I don't see a reason to change. Everytime I see a new cool looking trainer, I realize my CT more than gets the job done. It's been years since I've used their software, I'm either using a Erg Video or preferably doing a Sufferfest video through Trainerroad. It works for me. The road feels easy after doing a few Sufferfests back to back.
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [peted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What software are you using? Updated Racermate One software and an ANT+ stick are required. Google returns this pretty quick: http://www.racermateinc.com/ant/

There is also aftermarket software such as PerfPRO which supports ANT+ on the CT.
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
And as I continue, it seems, everyday see someone posting on ST about a bike accident, my wife says it was the best investment I have ever made, to stay safe.

X2 - my wife worries every time I ride outside and encourages me to ride on my CT.

Odd. Every time my wife sees me riding on the Computrainer she asks me, "Shouldn't you be riding outside? You know... in traffic?"

I'm starting to think she doesn't like me much.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: How many Computrainer users are on here? Still like/love it? Thoughts? [peted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peted wrote:
I am trying to find out how to get an Ant+ heart rate monitor to work. I've searched on the Computrainer support site but can't find anything. Please can you point me in the right direction. I do use a PC whenever I ride.

Thanks!

I read that Garmin software inhibited this function. I think it will work if you uninstall the Garmin Express and other Garmin software that might use the ANT stick. Haven't tried it, but saw it somewhere on ST I think.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peted wrote:

Thanks!

There was a patch available for Racermate One. This will not work with the older version of the software.
http://www.racermateinc.com/ant/

There was also one available for ErgVideo

While Golden Cheetah supports the CT, the last version I downloaded did not support an Ant+ strap
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 26, 14 3:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purchased mine in 2008. Best equipment I have. Responsible for adding 50 watts to my FTP. Bulletproof. Even sat in storage for 2 years. Just works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went in on a group purchase through Jim Donaldson back in '99. Best purchase ever.

I've logged countless miles over the years, summer and winter, and hardly any problems or complaints.

I sweat a ton so the stand is looking a little worse for wear, but it still fairs better than my headsets. ;-)

I've replaced a DIN cable, and a cadence sensor, but that's about it.

I used the ear clip successfully for a while, and then had great success with the original Polar sensor used in conjunction with a non-coded Polar strap.

I have ridden courses, used ERG mode, and programmed workouts in the coaching software, but nowadays mostly just use SpinScan mode in the coaching software.

I like the idea of opening up 3rd party software development through an API. Different people have different needs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next