Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Argon e118
Quote | Reply
 Just looking to get some feedback on the Argon e118 Tri Bike? Likes, dislikes, etc? Leaning towards picking up a 2015.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon e118 [weilerD6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding a 2013 E-118 for the last two years and think it's a fantastic bike. The 2015 E-118 NEXT is even better. The frame remains the same but they've made some nice changes to the front including the aerobars.

Quote | Reply
jmaley wrote:
I've been riding a 2013 E-118 for the last two years and think it's a fantastic bike. The 2015 E-118 NEXT is even better. The frame remains the same but they've made some nice changes to the front including the aerobars.

The frame is a little different up front to accommodate the new fork ... The head tube appears to be a bit shorter. The new fork will not fit on old frames unfortunately, otherwise, I'd have one on order for my E-118.

To the OP ... it's a great bike if it fits.

Overall, it's plenty stiff enough at the bottom bracket with an acceptable ride. I think it's a little heavy overall, but that does lead to a little better durability in the end (mine has been through a couple of crashes with no issues to the frame).

From an aero perspective, I believe it's a bit less aero than other "Super Bikes" ... that may or may not make a difference for you. Not sure about the 2015 though ... the changes to the front end may help bring it's drag numbers closer to the competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the opportunity to test the E-118 Next prototype this spring. I racked up a ton of miles on it and absolutely loved it! I might come off a bit biased as I am Argon 18 Athlete, but I wouldn`t go out of my way to post on here if I wasn`t 100% thrilled with the bike!

I loved what they did with the front end of the bike. The first thing I noticed was the stiffness. Everything just feel precise when you are riding. This is a very Canadian thing to say, however it is the best analogy I can think of, I the E-118 makes carves like a skate blade where as other bikes I had were more like a hockey puck. It is confidence inspiring and I found myself feeling more in control and taking corners in the aerobars I otherwise didn’t. The increase in stiffness comes from the aero bridge and also the way the aerobar spacers screw into each other. Argon 18`s are known for being beautifully balanced bike and this bike adds to that reputation.

The basebar of the E-118 also has less of a drop than the previous generation and can be flipped up or down to making climbing a little more relaxed. I also really like the shape of the bar for comfort in different hand positions. The shape of the bar let you effortlessly slide you hand around without distracting from your focus on the road ahead.

I ride with my aerobars tilted up 16 degrees. It is a position I find way more comfortable and powerful. For me it was also validated in the wind tunnel a couple years ago. The E-118 Next allows me to have my aerobars at a 16 degree tilt while keeping base bar flat. This alone should be a 3-4 watt savings over my current setup. With the high level a front end adjustability every can get there fit dialed in completely.

Aerodynamically the bike is on par with other its competitors. I personally tested it with my bike Shop Speed Theory in the University of Washington wind tunnel and with me on the bike, there was less than a watt difference between E118 Next, the P5 and the 2014 Speed Concept. This was with the aerobars and basebars flat. The E118 Next has gotten rid of the exposed noodle and has also improved the head tube shape to help clean up the bike.

Before riding the E-118 I was a little hesitant about the TRP brakes. However, Argon 18 has done a great job of keeping the cable routing simple enough that rear brake works well compared to some of the other TRP bikes I have ridden. Adjusting the brakes is tougher than I was used to with Shimano but I was able to learn it pretty quickly. I am not the most mechanically inclined person, so if I can learn, than anyone could do it. The rear brake also lacks the feedback that I like and have come to expect with Shimano brakes, but the stopping power is still there. It took a little while to get fully used to this feeling.

I took the prototype to Kona for some training in April. It handled great in the cross winds and it is one of those bike where you just feel like every bit of power is immediately transfer to pushing you forward. The E-118 Next was by far the easiest bike I have traveled with. The basebar screws flat into the stem with four bolts and has a three mini-bolt cover over top. There is no worrying or doubt about, did I get my handlebar tilt 100% correct or is the wheel perfectly centered. I am a little OCD usually about this, but with the E-118 Next you just torque the bolts and you position is perfect!

For the most part the rear triangle is the same as the older generation but I like the addition of mounting bolts on the top tube. I will be taking advantage of this rather than gorilla taping my PitStop. I also like the paint Argon paint scheme. Badass matte black mixed with the Canadian red and white!

I am getting a large frame so I have to wait a little bit longer, but am super stoked for mine! Really hoping it arrives in time that I can ride it for Challenge Bahrain!

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Argon e118 [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the response! This is inline with what I have read thus far about the 2015. I have also been considering the P5 but after reading about your personal experience with the new set up, I will stick with the Argon. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I guess after reading this I need to put my 2014 E-118 / SRAM Red 22 up for sale and look into purchasing a 2015!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I upgraded from my 114 in March and have loved the new ride. Very stable. Very stiff. Rides fast.

I've had some problems upgrading to the Flo rear wheels, which fit TIGHT. I've had it in the shop 3x trying to get the fit right. We've moved the wheel back a fair amount (over the "3 credit card" gap from the seat tube) and there is just enough daylight between the non-drive stay. We've re-trued and added tension to decrease the wheel rub that was occurring on the non-drive stay. If I would've just been content with regular wheels, which I was for 5 months, there would be no issue. The front wheel fit was easier (just let out cable in the brake). This is actually better than the standard wheel width which would cause the tire to get hung up on the brake pads (forcing a gentle "thump" to pop the wheel out).

The front end/base bar is not as stiff as the 114 and I believe this is due to their space-ship-shape - which you have to decide if you want up-or-down otherwise you will face a daunting task of removing and re-threading the cables to flip the bar. My LBS was grateful when I told them I was happy with the up position.

The stability is notable for this Argon as it was for the prior. I'm able to keep aero when others sit up in cross-winds.

And finally it's lighter than the 114 with no squared-off tubing. I'm happy with mine and still get the looks for having something that is not so common.

Hope that helped!

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Argon e118 [Runnbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the feedback, it is much appreciated! I just picked up a left over, brand new 2014 e118. I am so excited to try it out this spring! Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered my 2015 118 Next, nothing but good thoughts on it! Looks like an easier "super bike" to travel with, and very clean. Chose it over the Felt IA3 and QR.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Argon e118 [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
E118 is a fast bike no doubt but really solid in terms of how it dives into corners and also for power transfer. I was going to get this or a P5, but the 5 felt wimpy in my hands. I kept my build straight-up (much like Sebi) Sram RED no gadgets. The game changer on this bike for me in terms of fit was to go with the zero stack velcro pedals (on Bont carbons). It gave me more pedal to cockpit space, while keeping this low and mean! Full power to the pedals, not a problem. Riding for 2 seasons.

Cost was reasonable, end of season frame buy, SRAM red from Wiggle, used wheel set, seat and pedals we made in the FM shop <$6000 Cdn. Also have an 808 for the
front, I've ridden it two seasons. The training Alum E80 below is a different thing all-together, more conventional feel to ride but a great bike too. I got the Italian wheel set and other parts the Campione asset disposal sell-out

PS: I found this thread by searching for hockey

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Argon e118 [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally off topic, but how did you build those bike holders? They look so awesomely simple...

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Re: Argon e118 [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are my wife's idea, for shelving supports (from a home reno magazine I think).

Home Depot>Electrical>Conduit/

Threaded conduit support flanges (x4)
Pre-cut or u cut conduit (threaded ends)
I used 1" dia but you can use 3/4"
I also ground down the cut off ends and jammed on some end caps
Black paint
Foam with adhesive back EVA from our shop, but you could use some thin weather strip or leather etc. Just something to protect the bike.

All done for something like $20

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Argon e118 [BW911] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everybody,

I would like to know if someone out there could sell me (to Germany) a e118 fork (not next!) for a reasonable price.

Does anybody know where to possibly get one?

Any responses highly appreciated
Best Martin
Quote Reply