Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy
Quote | Reply
Just converted bike over to 11 speed. Shifting is dialed in perfect. Everything brand new except crankset. When setting up the shifting and spinning the pedals by hand it feels "bumpy". Is this to be expected with a brand new chain and cassette until it is worn in a little bit? I may have cut the chain a slight bit tight but it feels like this in pretty much all gears. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What speed was it before and how old the chainrings?
Quote Reply
Re: brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
What speed was it before and how old the chainrings?

10 speed before. Praxis works chainrings with only 1600 miles on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sometimes when i'm drinking i mis route the chin through the cage in the back. Better check that. Your idea that it just needs to settle in a bit might be it too. Check the rear wheel straightness in the dropouts and fiddle with that b-screw see if that shuts it up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
Just converted bike over to 11 speed. Shifting is dialed in perfect. Everything brand new except crankset. When setting up the shifting and spinning the pedals by hand it feels "bumpy". Is this to be expected with a brand new chain and cassette until it is worn in a little bit? I may have cut the chain a slight bit tight but it feels like this in pretty much all gears. Any ideas?

Did you check to make sure it's not a tight chain pin or tight missing link? Spin the crank backwards and observe the pin/missing link as it makes contact with the cassette. Should be smooth just like every other link. If bumpy, remove, lubricate and reinstall.
Quote Reply
Re: brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryan0721 wrote:
michael_runs wrote:

Did you check to make sure it's not a tight chain pin or tight missing link? Spin the crank backwards and observe the pin/missing link as it makes contact with the cassette. Should be smooth just like every other link. If bumpy, remove, lubricate and reinstall.

I did check this. It's bumpy throughout the entire stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
sometimes when i'm drinking i misroute the chin through the cage in the back. Better check that.

Hehe. Yep. I did that one even not drinking.

Make sure the chain runs in an S and doesn't run over the derailleur cage crossbar (or whatever it's proper name is).

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
jroden wrote:
sometimes when i'm drinking i misroute the chin through the cage in the back. Better check that.

Hehe. Yep. I did that one even not drinking.

Make sure the chain runs in an S and doesn't run over the derailleur cage crossbar (or whatever it's proper name is).

you can actually ride around with the bike in that state. Not that I'd know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is the correct chain? Some chains have a correct side, I'm not sure which ones. Check the directions just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroden wrote:
it is the correct chain? Some chains have a correct side, I'm not sure which ones. Check the directions just in case.

Shimano chains are directional. KMC chains aren't.

-------------------
Last edited by: Timtek: Oct 18, 14 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the 11 speed Shimano chains did away with the directional design?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As per other comments check the read derailleur. Even if it is routed properly, if the chain is too short some derailleurs will catch when on the larger cogs.
Quote Reply
Re: brand new chain+cassette...feels...bumpy [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I thought the 11 speed Shimano chains did away with the directional design?

You're right. I stand corrected.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could a bottom bracket bearing issue make pedaling feel bumpy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a small issue with my crank. When I spun it without the chain it clicked each time around. I thought the bearings might be shot but the fix was as easy as tightening the crank arm bolt with a huge allen wrench. When you spin the crank without a chain is it super, super smooth? Because it should be. If it's not that could it be rubbing on the front derailleur? Try trimming the FD with your left shifter maybe. Those two tests could eliminate the BB as well as FD rub.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the B screw adjusted properly? If not the upper pulley may bump against the cogs in certain gear combos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
I had a small issue with my crank. When I spun it without the chain it clicked each time around. I thought the bearings might be shot but the fix was as easy as tightening the crank arm bolt with a huge allen wrench. When you spin the crank without a chain is it super, super smooth? Because it should be. If it's not that could it be rubbing on the front derailleur? Try trimming the FD with your left shifter maybe. Those two tests could eliminate the BB as well as FD rub.

goodboyr wrote:
Is the B screw adjusted properly? If not the upper pulley may bump against the cogs in certain gear combos.

I pulled the chain off the chainrings and spun the crank and it felt very smooth.

Although turning the B screw doesn't visually appear to do much, I can confirm that the top pulley appears to clear the cassette cogs in all gear combinations.

I will say that the vibration / bumpiness feels worse the harder gear you are in. It's pretty much there all around, but worst the harder gear you get in.

Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang. The last thing I can think of is to just slowly spin the crank and shine all the moving parts with a flashlight to try and see where the friction is coming from. Make sure the chainline is straight and you're not cross chained. After that it might be time to have your LBS look at it.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could the wear pattern of a 10sp chain on a chainring cause an issue like this one when moving to an 11sp chain? The existing chainrings have about 1600 miles on them all run as 10sp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of info on chain/sprocket wear, length, etc. here: http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

-------------------
Quote Reply